Video capture issues...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Video capture issues...

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Well, I'm at the end of my rope here with this problem...

So here's the story:

I built a computer about 2 years ago. Made it with 3 ideas in mind.

1.) Starcraft 2.
2.) Record my old VHS tapes
3.) Record my music makings

Well, since SC2 has only just now got into the beta finally, that hasn't happened yet lol. The other 2 options, however, have been working fine (this is the same comp I used to mix and master my Possumus song, as well as many other tunes 8))

BUT THEN! *ba da dummmm* [dramatic reverb]

My compy has apparently decided that it doesn't like recording video anymore. :x

Here's what happens:

I start a video, I hit record on the computer. The video records.
But then, after a short period of time (this varies anywhere from 20 seconds to 5 minutes) the video decides to stop recording for a few seconds (up to 15), and simply freezes the shot where it is (once it starts, it will continue doing so on and off afterward in short intervals). The audio, however, remains going, causing it all to go completely out of sync and then some...causing the video files to wind up being longer than the original recording due to the video lasting longer than the audio.

I've been trying different things to fix this issue, but none seem to work. The only program my computer appears to be willing to record with; is the video recorder in Media Center. Problem is, I can't edit those video files as they're all a funky .dvr-ms format.

I've tried uninstalling the capture card's drivers and reinstalling them, and that didn't help. I can't use the system restore back to a point when the compy recorded video happily, as there aren't any save points going back farther than a month (this problem has been persisting for a few months now). I've even tried yelling at it! (don't know how, but I once yelled at a beast compy running Windows 95 on it, and that made it work, lol).

Another item of note, is that when I'm recording video, it somehow taxes the crap out of my system...& I'm not running a wimpy system, even by current standards, it's still pretty good--I have 4 gigs of RAM with a quad core CPU, each at 2.6 Ghtz to say the least, plus darn good video and capture cards too. BUT, somehow, when I'm recording video, the computer goes from using about 30% of the RAM and maybe 10% CPU power, all the way up to 75-80% RAM and just as much CPU or more. (this is according to my little deleemabob on the side bar that displays such data).--it never did that before either...

It's been like this for a while now. Nothing else causes the computer to go crazy on resources other than recording video.

Any ideas out there on how to fix this? Cause I'm drawing a blank here...any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and I should probably mention, my OS is Vista 32-bit premium, and the program I normally use for recording video is Virtual Dub.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: Video capture issues...

Post by bassmasta » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Does the capture card have hardware encoding? Maybe there is an issue there. If the card can encode the video itself, then there should be minimal drain on the computer.
Also, what slot is it? PCI, PCI-E?
Unfortunately, that's about all I know. A quad core should be able to handle video easily it seems, and SD (I'm assuming) should be a breeze.
AND TOTALLY YAY FOR STARCRAFT 2
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Go to Capture AVI then untick "Enable Audio Playback" from VirtualDub's Audio menu.

For some reason, VirtualDub looping back audio by software makes my poor DualCore 1.9GHz Laptop with 1GB of RAM lock up. However, when I disabed Audio Playback it worked (recorded) fine.

Just be sure to use a fast video codec like HuffYUV or CamStudio and you'll be fine.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Well, tried the audio thing. ...didn't work. I"m still getting the lag.

Perhaps the video thing might be the issue..but then, I've been using the same thing for a while now, and only recently I'm getting the problem.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 am

Metallica Man X wrote:I've been using the same thing for a while now, and only recently I'm getting the problem.
Reinstall Windows? :P Whatever problem that was there will be gone... (unless some hardware piece just decided to die, which is unlikely)

Depending on how many programs you would have to reinstall, this may be faster than diagnosing the problem. (Personally, I always hate reinstalls/upgrades, I have a ton of programs to reinstall, not to mention music, documents, etc...)
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind, and did actually attempt it... unfortunately, I lack my original magic numbers to install it....I can't even get it off of the compy for some reason....

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind, and did actually attempt it... unfortunately, I lack my original magic numbers to install it....I can't even get it off of the compy for some reason....
Time to upgrade to Windows 7? :lol: You'd be able to use all of your 4gb of RAM if you pick a 64-bit version of 7...
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah, that thought also crossed my mind...too bad I'm cheap :lol:

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm

So what capture card is it?
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:15 pm

It be an: AVerMedia M780 PCIe NTSC/ATSC Combo ATV Tuner

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:01 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:It be an: AVerMedia M780 PCIe NTSC/ATSC Combo ATV Tuner
It has hardware encoding...Maybe there's a conflict with the card settings and VirtualDub settings. I think it should be set to MPEG-2, which is the format of the card encoding.
Also, are you using RCA plugs?
You could also try reinstalling VirtualDub.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Some collleges give windows 7 32bit ultimate away for like $8. I know my local college does.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Is your hard drive full? lol. What are your encoder settings?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Full? naw, I doubt that as I've got a full Terabyte of HDD room to spare :lol:

The encoder doesn't seem to have much effect...Normally, I have the DivX codec working on it...but even when I'm running no compression at all (straight up, super size AVI file), I still get the skipping issues.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 am

hmm well if it was working before and now it aint... time to reformat?

or how about trying the card in another computer first.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"