Ipod Mod

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

DarkTronix
Ipod Mod

Post by DarkTronix » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 am

I want to mod my old iPod Video. I want to buy a large backing for it, a larger battery (http://www.batteryspace.com/highpowerpo ... arate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I want to rig it up with internal speakers but still have headphone out. Does this seen like it would work? I am using my psp's (RIP) speakers so I imagine it would be pretty good audio. I also want to rig up the speakers to only work when there is no headphone present can anyone tell me how to go about this? Thanks in advance

-DarkTronix-
Last edited by DarkTronix on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-DarkTronix-

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Re: Ipod Mod

Post by samjc3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 am

i thought about doing this on an ipod touch awhile back. then i sold the ipod so i didnt ever try it. it would work, in theory. however you will need to build, not buy, a new backplate. and there is some weird dealio with the monitor line for the battery (for the battery charge meter). sometimes just hooking power in to where the battery was hooked doesnt work. not sure why. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 pm

ok thanks I'll get started on this then. Why cant I just use an expended backplate there should be enough room the battery is only an extra 7mm and then the speakers would fit where the battery used to be thanks for your reply
-DarkTronix-

nobble

Post by nobble » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 pm

you should build a new casing from scratch for it.

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:25 pm

its not so much hat you cant use an expanded back plate. its more that they dont make them. so you need to make your own. and i agree with nobble
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:29 pm

well i found them on e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-IPOD-Video-80 ... 53e0314a34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) This should work shouldn't it its an 80gb video backplate so it should be the larger casing. Any ideas about the speakers cause I'm stuck on that one
-DarkTronix-

nobble

Post by nobble » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:13 pm

I believe the casings were the same size, the hdd were the same size in measurements but not in gigs.

Seriously consider making your own case out of plastic sheets and glue them together.

Also you will need an audio amp for the speakers, otherwise it will be too quiet.

froggyman

Post by froggyman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:49 pm

nobble wrote:I believe the casings were the same size, the hdd were the same size in measurements but not in gigs.

Seriously consider making your own case out of plastic sheets and glue them together.
Actually, the 30GB version only has a single platter HDD, so the case is then slimmer. The 60/80GB models have a double platter HDD making it a couple MM thicker... I don't know the exact specs off hand though. You should, theoretically be able to use 80GB back plate on your 30GB iPod.

While you are in there you may want to consider getting a compact flash card, then you don't have to worry about the HDD breaking. You can see more info about that here: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CFModGuide# ... F_Adapters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another thing I would *HIGHLY* recommend is installing rockbox ( http://www.rockbox.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) on your iPod video. Rockbox is a pretty amazing thing, it lets you have full control over the music you put on it, and where you put it. So you can just connect it to any computer and use as a UMS, as rockbox builds its own database. There are also a ton of themes you can install for it, along with more games. Such as Doom, pacman and GBC emulation. And don't forget that it supports just about every music codec you would ever use (except those that are DRM crippled)
"Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?"

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:06 pm

no audio amp needed. you would be surprised at what an ipod will drive. ( i hooked a nano [1G] straight to a 4" mid range speaker. worked fine. great sound quality. killed the battery pretty fast, but, it was REALLY loud.)

+1 for rockbox
AfroLH wrote:

masterclas

Post by masterclas » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:54 am

Is there enough space inside the case for this mod?
Police Woman: Ok then sir, how fast do you think you were going at the speed of the crash.

Guy with crashed car: OVER 9000!!

Police Woman: Errrrrrr Ok.

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:28 pm

froggyman wrote:
nobble wrote:I believe the casings were the same size, the hdd were the same size in measurements but not in gigs.

Actually, the 30GB version only has a single platter HDD, so the case is then slimmer. The 60/80GB models have a double platter HDD making it a couple MM thicker... I don't know the exact specs off hand though. You should, theoretically be able to use 80GB back plate on your 30GB iPod.

While you are in there you may want to consider getting a compact flash card, then you don't have to worry about the HDD breaking. You can see more info about that here: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CFModGuide# ... F_Adapters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another thing I would *HIGHLY* recommend is installing rockbox ( http://www.rockbox.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) on your iPod video. Rockbox is a pretty amazing thing, it lets you have full control over the music you put on it, and where you put it. So you can just connect it to any computer and use as a UMS, as rockbox builds its own database. There are also a ton of themes you can install for it, along with more games. Such as Doom, pacman and GBC emulation. And don't forget that it supports just about every music codec you would ever use (except those that are DRM crippled)
I've played with Rockbox b4 and I plan on installing it if only for the gameboy emulator but Its no good for movies so ill just dual boot between the two. I have also looked at a cf card how big do they get? I was looking at some 64 gb for $250 at newegg and i dont think that that is worth it. I want to buy a 80gb to 160gb (newer single platter) hdd for it tho.
-DarkTronix-

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 pm

samjc3 wrote:no audio amp needed. you would be surprised at what an ipod will drive. ( i hooked a nano [1G] straight to a 4" mid range speaker. worked fine. great sound quality. killed the battery pretty fast, but, it was REALLY loud.)
How did you wire this up. I will be using a lot smaller than 4" speakers so i dont think battery will suffer too much
-DarkTronix-

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Also you will need an audio amp for the speakers, otherwise it will be too quiet.
I don't have very good know how or tools to build a new case or else i would. I also want to keep the look of a normal iPod. On the amp end i have one from my ps1 screen would that work? would you recommend a different one? http://www.compeve.com/Products/Audio/I ... b_ipod.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I would get an extra .12" + where the battery was. But i need .28" so .16" more then the 80gb case offers. how would you recommend making a case? I really dont want to use a cf card but that looks the only way to go and still keep it looking like a normal iPod thanks for your help!

-DarkTronix
-DarkTronix-

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm

for the case, i would make an extender for the original back plate with thin plastic, then epoxy/bondo it and paint it.

i had the audio wired up very simply. just a cut off pair of headphones, with right and left bridged, and hooked straight to the speaker.
AfroLH wrote:

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 am

ok I will get to work on this. I am bummed though because me 30gb was stolen :( but ill just do it with me 80gb classic (I guess that means no RockBox) Does anyone know why rockbox doesn't work with the classics? Is it a new boot loader apple set up so we could not use it? Thanks for your responses.
-DarkTronix-