TS-64 Worklog / Questions

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

nobble
Re: TS-64 Worklog / Questions

Post by nobble » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:27 am

you are correct

smitty

Post by smitty » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:41 am

Ok, good. But I don't know how to solder yet so now I have to wait for my dad to get home so he can either teach me or do it himself. And, despite my precautionary question, it did almost blow up. And I didn't even wire up the batteries yet...

So let this be a warning to everybody else that's as ignorant as I am. Batteryspace.com batteries, at least to some extent, are precharged. So don't leave them lying near anything metal. I was putting things in the case to make sure it would all fit (and it did) but I left them in there, and the batteries were not insulated, because, as far as I knew, they weren't connected, and they weren't charged. But I was wrong, on both accounts. AND I HAZ BROUGHT SOME PICTUREZ!!!
HNI_0010.JPG
burnt metal
HNI_0010.JPG (57.08KiB)Viewed 4235 times
HNI_0011.JPG
more burnt metal, melted plastic
HNI_0011.JPG (59.35KiB)Viewed 4235 times
HNI_0013.JPG
singed circuitboard
HNI_0013.JPG (82.66KiB)Viewed 4235 times
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:21 am

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think I would use that battery again. Yeah, they come pre charged because they don't have anything to wear the charge out :P

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious - once you get your wires on there nice and tight, I would definitely cover the tabs with electrical tape

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh my god dude, you are a dumbass :facepalm:

ALL Li-ion and Li-poly cells are shipped with a charge, if they came shipped empty they would explode when you tried to charge them.

Let this be a lesson to everyone else: keep the cells in the bags until you're ready to use them.

:mrgreen:

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:15 pm

marshallh wrote:Oh my god dude, you are a dumbass :facepalm:

ALL Li-ion and Li-poly cells are shipped with a charge, if they came shipped empty they would explode when you tried to charge them.

Let this be a lesson to everyone else: keep the cells in the bags until you're ready to use them.

I thought all rechargeable batteries (not just Li-ion/li-poly) were shipped with at least some charge. My NiMh's certainly were.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:17 pm

jdmlight wrote:
marshallh wrote:Oh my god dude, you are a dumbass :facepalm:

I thought all rechargeable batteries (not just Li-ion/li-poly) were shipped with at least some charge. My NiMh's certainly were.
Yup, and on the Li-poly cells from batteryspace, they even write the voltages the batteries were charged & tested to on the packaging.
Ni-Cd cells are the only type of cell you can really run down completely without hurting.

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:57 am

Well excuuuse me for being new at this Marshall. Sheesh.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

nobble

Post by nobble » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Poor smitty. It will be ok. Hey, At least you weren't hurt.

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Yeah, like I said, it only almost blew up. And, if it didn't discharge all the way, which I presume it didn't because the smell got continually worse until my dad home and told me it was something electronic, immediately leading me to my N64, which was warm... Would it still be safe to use? I don't have any money to buy another battery, and I'd really like to get this thing working soon...

And please, don't call me an idiot for suggesting using the battery that almost caught fire. I don't know anything about this.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:51 pm

smitty wrote:Yeah, like I said, it only almost blew up. And, if it didn't discharge all the way, which I presume it didn't because the smell got continually worse until my dad home and told me it was something electronic, immediately leading me to my N64, which was warm... Would it still be safe to use? I don't have any money to buy another battery, and I'd really like to get this thing working soon...

And please, don't call me an idiot for suggesting using the battery that almost caught fire. I don't know anything about this.
I would "try" the battery. Maybe put it in a container and have an extinguisher handy. I have done that with a couple Li-Po's before and they were just fine. You just made a mini arc welder is all. LOL
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:29 pm

cndowning wrote:
smitty wrote:Well excuuuse me for being new at this Marshall. Sheesh.
Hey man, we know you're new to this, but ya gotta take this stuff seriously. If you had left it like that, walked away and had something flammable near by, you might have lit your house up! Small chance sure, but still a chance. Just use caution as much as possible till you understand how electricity works a bit better. Just a friendly FYI. :) You're not an idiot, just take your time.
I know I messed up, and I knew that as soon as I figured out what happened. I didn't need Marshall and his ego to insult me to figure that out.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I don't think he's getting a kick out of putting you down. It was just dumb to not do any research on what you're working with.

Batteries are BOMBS! If you mistreat these things they will catch fire or explode. And you must take proper safety precautions, like not leaving them out when you're not working on the.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Well, he could've said that if it's what he meant. :wtf: And I didn't really plan on leaving it out for long, I was waiting for my dad to get home, but he wasn't back for like 4 hours. So that was dumb of me, he was taking my brother to the ER, and I think the last time he went there he wasn't back 'till 3AM...
Anyway, that was the past now, and I've learned. So I would appreciate it if the lectures could stop. :)

MigueLLLLL
PSN Username:migueIII

Post by MigueLLLLL » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:22 pm

smitty wrote:Well, he could've said that if it's what he meant. :wtf: And I didn't really plan on leaving it out for long, I was waiting for my dad to get home, but he wasn't back for like 4 hours. So that was dumb of me, he was taking my brother to the ER, and I think the last time he went there he wasn't back 'till 3AM...
Anyway, that was the past now, and I've learned. So I would appreciate it if the lectures could stop. :)
agreed :P
work log: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Talakoski wrote: Where did you get those copper things over the Heat Sinks?
samjc3 wrote:just for the record, those "copper things over the heatsinks" are the heatsinks. :wink: