Possible to hack an HP Touchsmart IQ770 screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Deadpool18
Possible to hack an HP Touchsmart IQ770 screen

Post by Deadpool18 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:54 am

Unfortunately, I bought an HP Touchsmart all-in-one media center PC about three years ago. Needless to say, as soon as my extended warranty was up, either the motherboard or video card died. :evil:

Here is the unit I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/TouchSmart-IQ770- ... B000NX1UNU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since HP could care less now that it is out of warranty, I am stuck with a very expensive paperweight. None of my local shops are interested in fixing it since the parts are hard to come by.

So, I was wondering if there was a way of disconnecting the touchscreen monitor from the motherboard and connecting it to another PC for Mame or a Jukebox, or something! I think HP used a proprietary connector to hook it up to the motherboard, but I haven't disassembled it enough to verify that. If it is a unique connector (I'm almost positive that it is) could it still be wired somehow to another motherboard or video card? I'm quite ignorant when it comes to wiring things like LCD's. Note: I can get the HP splash screen, so I know it isn't the backlight or LCD. The computer has a mini vga out in the back, and I get the same image on an external monitor. It is definitely either the video card (which I think is soldered to the motherboard) or the entire motherboard. I really just want to gut the thing and reuse the base (which is really cool) and the monitor. I just have no clue how to rewire the connector.This thing would be great for some sort of arcade project since I'm pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with the monitor. If anyone could help me out so I feel like my investment isn't totally wasted, I would greatly appreciate it!!! :D

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Possible to hack an HP Touchsmart IQ770 screen

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:21 am

Most likely you would need an lvds controller card to make it work. Unfortunately that is one area I know next to nothing about.
Maybe a more knowledgeable PC genius will help out.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:36 am

I would have a repair shop confirm that a part is indeed dead and whether or not that part is difficult to find. It makes no sense to risk killing the computer if it isn't for sure useless. It would be much easier to keep it in one piece and then use it for MAME or a jukebox.

Deadpool18

Post by Deadpool18 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:46 pm

The problem is, my local repair shops are pretty well convinced that it is toast based on the symptoms...

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:40 pm

One of the reviews on amazon said that this problem is common, so I'll assume it really is messed up. I would take off the covers for the middle and bottom sections and see if you can find the wires from the screen and see where they plug in. Also, try removing the RAM and put it back in, sometimes that can fix problems (no idea why).

geri

Post by geri » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 pm

hi! did you manage your touchsmart since? I'd be interested if you've found anything HP proprietary? I'm also planning to connect my touchsmart to an other pc as a display, preferable keeping the touch sensitivity...

thanks!

beantastic

Post by beantastic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:03 pm

I was just wondering if anyone figured anything out with this display? I just came across one of them and wanted to try and do something with it.

Thanks, Bean