problems -_- (work log)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

MigueLLLLL
PSN Username:migueIII
problems -_- (work log)

Post by MigueLLLLL » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:19 pm

right so this is my new work log as you all know it has been a week since i started and i am almost done but still have a while to go :wtf: cause i still have to wait for my screen and expansion pak (i broke mine last night) and i might order a rumble pak(update: i just order the rumble pak) anyways what i have gotten done:

relocating my pin connector
desoldering every thing
wiring up the pth08080waz
changed the led to green
broke my expansion pak :wtf:

and what i gonna do:
buy heatsinks (by the way anybody know a good place to buy them and not online)
make a tupperware case for my p64 :mrgreen:
carve out the case
mod controller to fit in to the case
wire up the screen
(i might) make an av out
make a headphone and recharge port
then put everything in case :P
that is about it and last thing ....NO PICTURES!!!!!!! (ok maybe some :P) but i will try to post a video or 2
oh and im open to idea's so post em'
OH and i total forgot lol i need name idea's so help!
Last edited by MigueLLLLL on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 15 times in total.
work log: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Talakoski wrote: Where did you get those copper things over the Heat Sinks?
samjc3 wrote:just for the record, those "copper things over the heatsinks" are the heatsinks. :wink:

MigueLLLLL

Re: name? (work log, updated almost daily)

Post by MigueLLLLL » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:14 pm

thanks and i dont give a crap if people are mad at me for posting too many topics :P
work log: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
samjc3 wrote:just for the record, those "copper things over the heatsinks" are the heatsinks. :wink:

MigueLLLLL

Re: name? (work log, updated almost daily)

Post by MigueLLLLL » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm

ah and lol i have not started the case i still need to go buy plexiglass

MigueLLLLL

Re: risky business *see newest post (work log, updated daily)

Post by MigueLLLLL » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 pm

so as i wait for my parts I am wondering should i relocate my expansion pak? see it does not look too hard but i don't want to fry or short anything in my board but it will make my portable A LOT thinner so should i keep it safe of have a good quality portable :?
oh and here is the guide i found if anyone else wants to learn :
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:10 pm

MigueLLLLL wrote:so as i wait for my parts I am wondering should i relocate my expansion pak? see it does not look too hard
LOL. :roll:

It is one of the hardest soldering jobs you can do EVER !!!

Many have tried and failed miserably.

The wires have to be tiny and VERY short and they are literally microns from touching.

It's a nightmare that takes a skilled solderer several hours.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

MigueLLLLL

Post by MigueLLLLL » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:17 pm

well thats a "don't try it" im guessing :P, but i might tho cause i can go to my grandpa's cause he is great at soldering so i will have him help me oh and can i trim the expansion pak down i know i wont be able to make it like a lot smaller but i just want to make it a little smaller
Last edited by MigueLLLLL on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

MigueLLLLL wrote:well thats a "don't try it" im guessing :P, but i might tho cause i can go to my grandpa's cause he is great at soldering so i will have him help me
No you can try it. But once you rip off the connector to try it, if you fail it is a ruined N64.

Also be VERY careful pulling off the expansion pack connector cause the traces will rip off the board.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

MigueLLLLL

Post by MigueLLLLL » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:43 pm

umm is there a safe way to take off the expansion pak slot? and oh god now i scared to do it :shock: but i must go through with it! and if some one could give me pointers? :)

MigueLLLLL

Post by MigueLLLLL » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:29 am

anyone?

MigueLLLLL

Re: CRAP *see newest post (work log, updated daily)

Post by MigueLLLLL » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:37 pm

so i got my case today and it's too small :( so i am going to go with bacteria's idea and build it out of tupperware :P

MigueLLLLL

Re: fml *see newest post (work log, updated daily)

Post by MigueLLLLL » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm

so as hailrazer answer my question on how to get the expansion pak connector with out ripping traces off i was about to heat up my solder but while it was heating i was messing around with the black plastic part that was holding it so i grabed the needle nose pliers and started to wiggle it and it just came off! no traces ripped and they were all intact so i cut the excess trace off cause it was in the way and started to open my expansion pak :D so i used a dremel tool to get it open (stupidest thing i have ever done) since i dont have the special screw driver. and i went too far in and damaged the board >:( so now i have to order a new one tonight

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:25 pm

The advice I have for you: Be patient. I have a checklist of things that I wrote out and in the notes it says:
Be patient - this is the cause of ALL avoidable problems

Which is, for the MOST part, true. I broke 2 gamecube motherboards (good ones, too) because of that.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:49 pm

MigueLLLLL wrote:so as hailrazer answer my question on how to get the expansion pak connector with out ripping traces off i was about to heat up my solder but while it was heating i was messing around with the black plastic part that was holding it so i grabed the needle nose pliers and started to wiggle it and it just came off! no traces ripped and they were all intact so i cut the excess trace off cause it was in the way and started to open my expansion pak :D so i used a dremel tool to get it open (stupidest thing i have ever done) since i dont have the special screw driver. and i went too far in and damaged the board >:( so now i have to order a new one tonight
Won't this be your 3rd expansion pak or something? :lol: What i did to get the jumper pak open was take a small flathead screwdriver and get it in one of the grooves then push so eventually it will start to turn and eventually unscrew
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
:facepalm:
Frankencase.

MigueLLLLL

Post by MigueLLLLL » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:58 pm

lol

MigueLLLLL

Post by MigueLLLLL » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 am

So i started to solder very very thin wires to the traces and i found out if the solder comes in contact with more than one trace then dont use a braid! it just smuged and got on more traces so i spend 10 min. getting it off with a solder pump and after that was all done i started to solder and in another 15 min. i only had 2 wires done >:(