My plans for making a deployable Dreamcast Laptop.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

killmickey
My plans for making a deployable Dreamcast Laptop.

Post by killmickey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm in the army and quite often go to places no one wants to, ie Iraq, Kuwait, and Afghanistan. Well I try not to bring or buy any video game systems with me, because of the logistics involved. The systems, tvs ect. So on my next on I want to bring my dreamcast. I have three of them so it's not a huge deal if it gets damaged or not. I have a monitor I don't use anymore, I'm in a laptop household. And I have a iM2400 Storm case
http://www.stormcase.com/StormCaseSizes/StormiM2400.htm. I don't plan on making it battery operated, I'll usually have access to 110-220. My biggest problem it that I want to do a custom enclosure. Nothing fancy just a bezel for the monitor with holes for speakers, and one for the innards of the console. I'm sure I can move all the ports I need to, but I don't know how to work with acrylic, and is acrylic really what I want to use? Since you guys are the experts at this kind of thing I wanted to ask your opinions. Here is a mockup I did real quick to give a general idea If what I want to do.
Attachments
26135_1214519654165_1564036170_30459029_3991964_n.jpg
26135_1214519654165_1564036170_30459029_3991964_n.jpg (49.79KiB)Viewed 9338 times

joeyjoe9876

Re: My plans for making a deployable Dreamcast Laptop.

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 pm

if your gonna use that case you might as well add a keyboard and find an ethernet addon for it lol
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

killmickey

Post by killmickey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:21 pm

I don't want it for an actual laptop, more as mobile gaming. The keyboard would be useless, and the bba is prohibitively expensive and near useless. I'm gonna use that excess space to hold controllers, vmus, and games.

killmickey

Post by killmickey » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Here are some mock-ups and a sketch for my general idea so far. Soon I'm gonna do with cardboard What I want to do with the Plexi. After some measuring I've determined I can't stand the controllers up, so I'm gonna lay them flat.
Attachments
Stripped DC Mockup.jpg
Here is the stripped DC in a mock-up.
Stripped DC Mockup.jpg (52.43KiB)Viewed 9278 times
DC Draft Sketch.jpg
Main draft out of my project book.
DC Draft Sketch.jpg (58.8KiB)Viewed 9278 times

D3MONOOB

Post by D3MONOOB » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 am

dude u need to get an audio amp for volume control there cheap and easy to find plus u need it so u can hook up ur speakers plus ur screen proberly needs its own power supply so if ur planning to run it off the same power supply your gonna need a new psu im not sure if a pico psu would work for it depends on the voltage of ur screen and if its lower ur gonna need a step down i think research it 1st or ask some one more experience because im still learning :mrgreen:

killmickey

Post by killmickey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:24 am

D3MONOOB wrote:dude u need to get an audio amp for volume control there cheap and easy to find plus u need it so u can hook up ur speakers plus ur screen proberly needs its own power supply so if ur planning to run it off the same power supply your gonna need a new psu im not sure if a pico psu would work for it depends on the voltage of ur screen and if its lower ur gonna need a step down i think
Well the monitor is a PC monitor with it's own audio amp, speakers, and it takes 100- 240 volts. Now the only problem is that the dreamcast is 120V, maybe I could get a dreamcast power supply from the land of PAL. If someone knows where to get one I could just plug this in instead of getting a step down converter, they're big, heavy, and ugly.

D3MONOOB

Post by D3MONOOB » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:37 am

killmickey wrote:Well the monitor is a PC monitor with it's own audio amp, speakers, and it takes 100- 240 volts. Now the only problem is that the dreamcast is 120V, maybe I could get a dreamcast power supply from the land of PAL. If someone knows where to get one I could just plug this in instead of getting a step down converter, they're big, heavy, and ugly.
i dunno i dont think a step down would be as heavy as u think if u just strip it down and anyway i dont think youll need 1 if ur screen can take 12v easily but youll still need a psu if u want them running off the same plug im guessing.. whered u get the screen it would save me a lot of time if it has inbuilt audio amp with volume control and headphone jack

killmickey

Post by killmickey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:28 pm

i dunno i dont think a step down would be as heavy as u think if u just strip it down and anyway i dont think youll need 1 if ur screen can take 12v easily but youll still need a psu if u want them running off the same plug im guessing.. whered u get the screen it would save me a lot of time if it has inbuilt audio amp with volume control and headphone jack
A 220-110 step down is somewhere near 5 lbs some times more, I have a few. And I got the monitor from HP in 2005, it's model number H vs15c. It's just a standard LCD monitor for a computer.

EDIT: Oh and it has a headphone jack.

Michaelthurston
Steam ID:MichaelThurston

Post by Michaelthurston » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 pm

killmickey wrote:I don't want it for an actual laptop, more as mobile gaming. The keyboard would be useless, and the bba is prohibitively expensive and near useless. I'm gonna use that excess space to hold controllers, vmus, and games.
The Keyboard actually can prove useful, as some games do make good use of it. Especially Half life :mrgreen:

Just make it to where you can unplug the Keyboard whenever you want to use a controller. Or just wire the keyboard internally, and have a switch to make the P1 port accept controllers.
Completed Projects:
Un-named N64p
Abstract 64
Abstract 64 v.2
Rcube
Thursty64

No. More. Commissions.

Currently Owned(In Response to WeaponEpsilon):

21 Platforms; 38 Individual Consoles; 380 Singular games(0 Duplicates!)

roxasnobody

Post by roxasnobody » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:39 am

killmickey wrote:I'm in the army and quite often go to places no one wants to, ie Iraq, Kuwait, and Afghanistan. Well I try not to bring or buy any video game systems with me, because of the logistics involved. The systems, tvs ect. So on my next on I want to bring my dreamcast. I have three of them so it's not a huge deal if it gets damaged or not. I have a monitor I don't use anymore, I'm in a laptop household. And I have a iM2400 Storm case
http://www.stormcase.com/StormCaseSizes/StormiM2400.htm. I don't plan on making it battery operated, I'll usually have access to 110-220. My biggest problem it that I want to do a custom enclosure. Nothing fancy just a bezel for the monitor with holes for speakers, and one for the innards of the console. I'm sure I can move all the ports I need to, but I don't know how to work with acrylic, and is acrylic really what I want to use? Since you guys are the experts at this kind of thing I wanted to ask your opinions. Here is a mockup I did real quick to give a general idea If what I want to do.
Excuse me but , What's wrong With Kuwait ? :roll:

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:15 pm

roxasnobody wrote:
killmickey wrote:I'm in the army and quite often go to places no one wants to, ie Iraq, Kuwait, and Afghanistan. Well I try not to bring or buy any video game systems with me, because of the logistics involved. The systems, tvs ect. So on my next on I want to bring my dreamcast. I have three of them so it's not a huge deal if it gets damaged or not. I have a monitor I don't use anymore, I'm in a laptop household. And I have a iM2400 Storm case
What? Who said anything wrong about Kuwait? :shock:

I don't see anything wrong here.....

roxasnobody

Post by roxasnobody » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:19 pm

aceboy44 wrote:
roxasnobody wrote:
What? Who said anything wrong about Kuwait? :shock:

I don't see anything wrong here.....
HE said Going to places no one wants to , Kuwait is free , No wars no nothing , Have malls , Heck i see a lot of Army men Vist the malls near where i live + i have 3 houses Populated By Americans in my neighborhood :P They like living here :roll:

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Well the guy is just expressing his opinion. Nothing wrong with that :wink:

roxasnobody

Post by roxasnobody » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:37 pm

aceboy44 wrote:Well the guy is just expressing his opinion. Nothing wrong with that :wink:
True True , Maybe he got stuck in the desert it sucks there :P its hell on earth .... in Summer anyway , Aceboy your from kuwait ? :P

aceboy44
Banned

Post by aceboy44 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:45 pm

roxasnobody wrote:
aceboy44 wrote:Well the guy is just expressing his opinion. Nothing wrong with that :wink:
True True , Maybe he got stuck in the desert it sucks there :P its hell on earth .... in Summer anyway , Aceboy your from kuwait ? :P
Yup, but I can see why he doesn't like living here :P