Elephant64 Worklog

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ToastBucket
Re: Elephant64 Worklog

Post by ToastBucket » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 am

A few questions :?
1. Is it ok if I hot glue the back of the LCD (white part)
2. Does an expansion pak need a heatsink on it? I'm not relocating it and the little chip next to the port has one on it. I'm also going to use a fan.
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 am

ToastBucket wrote:A few questions :?
1. Is it ok if I hot glue the back of the LCD (white part)
2. Does an expansion pak need a heatsink on it? I'm not relocating it and the little chip next to the port has one on it. I'm also going to use a fan.
1.Yes
2.Yes
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Well I think it's about time for a new iron....I can probably finish this project with the one I have now because there is very minimal soldering left to do, but my iron has completely oxidized. Stupid wet sponge. I want a station but theyre expensive. :( I'm also going to get a desoldering iron and one of those cleaning thingies with the curly wires. But I've made some progress on the Elephant so pics soon. I really think I can get it done this weekend if nothing goes awry.
This place is fun.

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:26 pm

My screen is not outputting any sound. I think Its because the volume is all the way down and I can't change it...I relocated the volume and brightness buttons but they aren't working. The tact switches are connected to the same places that the orignals were by some IDE cable but NONE of the switches are doing anything. Also, after I was having problems with the volume/brightness buttons, All power cables were unplugged but while scraping up some ground on the screen board, it sparked. So I wired everything up to see if it was still working, and it was, but then when I turned it on again I got smoke. So I turned it off then back on and it still worked. :shock:
This place is fun.

geno whirl

Post by geno whirl » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 am

If you don't mind me asking, how did you mount the buttons so they won't turn in the case? Basically, what I am saying is how do you keep the buttons from turning upside down?
argelfraster wrote:
Designer noob wrote:umm, well that sucks. I was going to buy one for my next portable (After, my WIV) and then franklin case it.
:facepalm:
Frankencase.

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:14 am

What I did was extremely inefficient. I drilled small holes at the base of the buttons, stripped some solid wire, and put it through and down through the perf board. I then bent it over when the button was at the highest position i wanted to be like. What I would suggest is to cut out the bits from the controller and put them on. It will create a more authentic feel and will look better if you ABS, sand, and paint.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.1KiB)Viewed 2852 times
This place is fun.

NateN34
Steam ID:NateN34

Post by NateN34 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Yes, the screen and with all other electronics can carry a charge for a while, even after it has been unplugged.
overlordlink wrote:alright well i was kinda deabating whether or not to finish my SnesP, Or to slightly romance something that existed to met my needs but it appears as if im gonna stick with the SnesP. At least for now lol