SuperPad 64 joystick mod. Gamecube stick inside :)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ToastBucket
Re: SuperPad 64 joystick mod. Gamecube stick inside :)

Post by ToastBucket » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm

HA...while writing the above comment that mentions check the attached pic for a diagram, I thought to myself that it was probably going to forget to attach the pic. And I did. So here it is!
Attachments
Good Joystick Wiring.png
Good Joystick Wiring.png (11.37KiB)Viewed 3759 times
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Mtrapp wrote:Little bump here for probably a noob question (sorry :/)

I'm attempting at doing this mod with the SuperPad 64 (by Performance) same one as the black one in the picture above. When rewiring the GC c-stick to the super pad, is it ok to just rip off the 4 white wires that connect the C-stick board to the main GC controller board? And then just solder the wires from the superpad onto the bottom of the C-stick board?

Also my superpad looks like it's wired kind weird when I compare it to other diagrams I've seen on here... the VG1 (ground) black wire is attached to the one edge of the y axis, and instead of the wire branching off, it has a separate small wire that is soldered to the same pin, and then the other end to the x axis. Will this change anything when I have to rewire the c-stick to it or do I do it exactly how it looked when the superpad stick was attached?

I cut the octagonal plastic guide that goes around the original stick so that there's no middle piece - just the octagonal guide for the joystick and used a bit of krazy glue to fix it onto the front of the controller casing and fixed the z-button that broke years ago.. I just need to find a GC controller now to get the c-stick out of and figure out how to hold it all inside and remount the Z button. I went to the nearest Gamestop earlier today and bought a used 3rd party GC controller that looked fine... it had a turbo button on the front and i plugged it into my cube and it doesn't even work :roll: ..... buttons only work when the controller is tilted a certain way and the sticks dont work at all so now I gotta go back there tomorrow and probably pick up a Nintendo brand used one probably.. but gonna make them test it before selling me a piece of junk that doesn't work. Anyone done this mod with sticks from 3rd party GC controllers?
Thanks.

Yes remove the 4 white wires.

The Official gamecube analog stick has those extra separate wires already built in to the board. So you don't need to add those wires, just wire the 4 wires coming from the SuperPad to the same places on the GC analog stick as they were on the Superpad analog stick.

Third Part Gamecube sticks "should" work just fine.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Mtrapp

Post by Mtrapp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. This helps clear some things up.

Toast: I drew a little diagram of mine also but even looking at the controller, I can see that the 2 red wires on mine are different than on your diagram. I have removed the whole stick component, except for the pots, where the wires are still attached for reference later. The red wire farthest left next to the ground for me is VD1 and it goes to the Y axis, and the middle red wire is VC1 going to the X axis. Is it possible that they are different, since we're using the same controller?

From left to right goes: VG1 (black) - VD1 (red) - VC1 (red) - VY1 (Yellow) - VX1 (green)

Everything looks fine except for those 2 red wires

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 pm

The red wires are just positive lines and the black one is a ground line. The red ones are interchangeable or you could just use one and bridge them like the ground is. I'm not sure why there are two positive lines because there doesn't need to be. VD1 stands for voltage and VC1 stands for common meaning they are common value. If you look at the board they are actually connected by some weird bridging thingies that go underneath the board. :mrgreen:
This place is fun.

Mtrapp

Post by Mtrapp » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 am

Alright sweet. Thanks for the info Toast. I'll probably go return this broken controller I got and hopefully pick one up tomorrow. The hardest part is probably going to be figuring out how to mount it all on the back side of the controller and to get the Z button in place; since those gamecube joystick "boxes" are a lot smaller than the super pad ones. The original super pad joystick box is just a big (and I mean BIG) mess of plastic and hot glue lol.

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 am

What I would do is get a small piece of relatively thick foam or just some plastic and cut it to a good size to go imbetween the Z and POT. or you could just run some uninsulated wire (Solid) across them and hot glue them down to the case so that the stay in place.
This place is fun.