haxX_BOX - XBOX Replicant Project

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

FatylPCs
haxX_BOX - XBOX Replicant Project

Post by FatylPCs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:12 am

Hey all - i have a spare PC layin around (older P4 system) and was wondering if any one could tell me how to flash the BIOS to allow the XBox (original) Dash to run on startup as an alternative to installing a regular OS

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: haxX_BOX - XBOX Replicant Project

Post by bassmasta » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 am

FatylPCs wrote:Hey all - i have a spare PC layin around (older P4 system) and was wondering if any one could tell me how to flash the BIOS to allow the XBox (original) Dash to run on startup as an alternative to installing a regular OS
You don't. You can't just flash the BIOS to make it an Xbox. You can have an xbox-similar operating system (xbmc comes to mind), but I doubt you will find an operating system that will run Xbox games. There's emulators, but those are buggy and glitchy.

A better place to ask this question would be Xbox Scene.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

DarkTronix

Post by DarkTronix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Non possible because of driver issues
Last edited by DarkTronix on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-DarkTronix-

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:51 pm

DarkTronix wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but i believe that the xbox uses something besides bios to load the xbox operating system (like how Mac uses EFI and windows/Linux uses Bios) There are EFI emu for Bios based pc's so I dont think anyone has done this but is they have I also would like to rig up my old tower
The Xbox runs a custom kernel of Windows 2K (according to wiki), and uses a BIOS to load the OS. Modchips and BIOS flashing can be used to bypass the BIOS and the security methods.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

i fail to see why you would want to do this, i mean, yeah, it would be cool, but you can find xbox's for like 30$ (heck, i got one for 10$, with 6 games, and all the cables at a garage sale last week). plus, since live is going away, there will be a ton more on the market from people who "upgrade" to the 360 to retain their precious live. just pick up an xbox. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:54 pm

hmm... if it dose run a special kernel then shouldnt it be possible to boot the XBox dash using a kernel loader of sorts?

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 pm

FatylPCs wrote:hmm... if it dose run a special kernel then shouldnt it be possible to boot the XBox dash using a kernel loader of sorts?
What for? Like samjc3 said, they're like $10-$20 bucks. The only real reason you would want to do this I think is to play xbox games, and the only way (AFAIK) you could get those to work is an emulator, which would be really buggy.
The xbox is x86 (32-bit) based, so it could be possible to boot the operating system.
bassmasta wrote: A better place to ask this question would be Xbox Scene.
EDIT: Has been discussed before.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks for editing that link in there; I was going to start explaining it all.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:59 am

well i found a way to do this and its not pretty and will probably render my old Compaq iPaq usless.

first im going to flash the bios - reason for this is that the XBox Dash needs a specific bios to run - i found a cromwell bios from a wikki and will be attemting it in a few days here

next im going to load up a hacked version of the dash - found EvoX as an OS

if all goes well i should have a PC XBox, if not i just dump the peice of crap ipaq like i've been planning and use the case for an HTPC lol

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am

FatylPCs wrote:if all goes well i should have a PC XBox, if not i just dump the peice of crap ipaq like i've been planning and use the case for an HTPC lol
Enjoy your HTPC case.

BIOSes are not universal, successfully flashing an XBox BIOS will render your motherboard unable to boot.

bassmasta

Post by bassmasta » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 am

Never mind. Stupid thought

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:15 am

well i WAS able to flash a modded version of the xbox bios to my old PC and then tried to install the dash, but it wouldnt take. made a trip to goodwill and found an Xbox, tore out the HD and installed it to the machine and it runs beautifly except for the part where the video goes out every so often, probably due to an unsupported graphics driver...

just gunna scrap the project...

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:00 pm

FatylPCs wrote:well i WAS able to flash a modded version of the xbox bios to my old PC and then tried to install the dash, but it wouldnt take. made a trip to goodwill and found an Xbox, tore out the HD and installed it to the machine and it runs beautifly except for the part where the video goes out every so often, probably due to an unsupported graphics driver...

just gunna scrap the project...
Shenanigans.