n64 semi portable

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bartre
n64 semi portable

Post by bartre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:18 am

alright, well I'm not quite confident enough with myself to go for a full on portable system just yet.
so, i'm going to go for something of a downsizing and simplification.
I've just got a few goals with this project:
1. get rid of the power brick, i.e. set it to use the same power cable as say, an xbox.
2. use standard a/v outs. i.e. put the video/L audio/R audio jacks on the back.
3. trim down the motherboard in any way possible.

1 and 2 are the big ones for me, but i'm pretty much a total noob at this stuff.
i've done the vga mod for a dreamcast, so i think this stuff is all pretty reasonable to think i can do.
so, what parts would i need, and how would i go about doing this?

silver

Re: n64 semi portable

Post by silver » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 am

have you seen the xbox slim mod?? that pretty much sums up making something smaller.

to get rid of the power brick, you could use a texas instruments 3.3v regulator, and a ps2 adaptor, or similar adapter. look at harshboys wiring diagram, and replace the battery with the adaptor, and the screen with av out.

standard av outs would also be pretty easy, find an electronics website that sells the jacks for av out.

then recase it in a slim stylish case.
did I help??

mako321

Post by mako321 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:08 am

in addition, it would be easiest to get a small 5v dc psu and shove that in the case of your n64. Next, hook up the positive lead from the power supply to the 5v out pin on the 7805 voltage regulator. Hook up the negative from it to any ground strip or spot with ground. Lastly, get a Texas instruments part, the pth 08000 or the pth 08080.(go to ti.com to get free ones) There are wiring diagrams on the site for both of them. Once it is all properly wired, connect the voltage out pin to the first pin on the player 1 controller port. Again, connect the ground to any ground on the board.

bartre

Post by bartre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08 am

alright, you really helped on powering the thing.
but i'm still confused on how to do the a/v leads, more specifically, how to do them.
also, what would the process you described in your 2nd post accomplish?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:23 am

Uhm, why don't you just open an N64 psu, and shove that in there? Just make sure it's well isolated from everything else, and in place. Don't wanna mess with that high voltages. AV should only be a matter of soldering a few wires and cutting some holes.

bartre

Post by bartre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:51 am

well, i don't want to use a standard power supply because i want the cable to be removable/replaceable in case something bad happens to it.
and you're saying that to put the standard a/v leads, i just have to find the pins that output video and audio, then just solder the jacks to it?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:23 pm

mako321 wrote:in addition, it would be easiest to get a small 5v dc psu and shove that in the case of your n64. Next, hook up the positive lead from the power supply to the 5v out pin on the 7805 voltage regulator. Hook up the negative from it to any ground strip or spot with ground. Lastly, get a Texas instruments part, the pth 08000 or the pth 08080.(go to ti.com to get free ones) There are wiring diagrams on the site for both of them. Once it is all properly wired, connect the voltage out pin to the first pin on the player 1 controller port. Again, connect the ground to any ground on the board.
For non-battery applications using a PTH08080 is highly NOT recommended by me. An LM317 will work fine and they only cost 50 cents. There's no switching noise or external parts and they are virtually indestructible.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

bartre

Post by bartre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:21 pm

alright, so after doing some more research, i'm going to revise my idea.

I still want to put in the RCA jacks, does anyone have a digikey part # on color coded ones?
but, I think i'm just going to use the standard power supply, and splice in a port for a replaceable cable.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 am

bartre wrote:well, i don't want to use a standard power supply because i want the cable to be removable/replaceable in case something bad happens to it.
and you're saying that to put the standard a/v leads, i just have to find the pins that output video and audio, then just solder the jacks to it?
What I'm saying is, you take an n64 PSU, put it in there, but instead of having a cable coming out of it, hook up one of those standard connectors for the pc power cables to the N64, you know?

bartre

Post by bartre » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:54 am

Yeah, I managed toget a psu open, and after looking at it, that's what i've decided to do.
now i'm just not sure about how to wire up the a/v out jacks.
from what i've gathered, you need to find the pins for ground, video, L audio, and R audio
provide each pin with ground and one of the 3 others, and mount it.
is that right?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 am

yeah. The AV connector (the proprietary one) has all these pins (naturally), so just look for a pinout for that which should be in the stickies or something.

ToastBucket

Post by ToastBucket » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 pm

http://img50.yfrog.com/img50/4812/wiring.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
This place is fun.

ToastTech Forums: Built with love.