DOS Mod I can't remember the name of...

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

MasterPrime
DOS Mod I can't remember the name of...

Post by MasterPrime » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:19 am

You remember DOS right? well what about the myriad of addons/mods that made DOS a little easier to navigate?

Our old 486 (complete with TURBO button and 28.8 modem) had a mod on it that gave DOS a graphical user interface. I never set it up but I do remember that it was blue. You could set shortcuts to programs and create your own menus and users for it. There's gotta be an old fogey like me on here that had this. It had a blue background with yellow text. My dad lost all his floppies in a fire and while I've recovered most of the games (thanks Memories project) I'm trying to find this one specific MOD to install on a DOS emulated box for the nephews. So they can play the old games we used to play without having too much of a hassle with command line. They're only 3 and 6 years old.

If anyone remembers what I'm talking about please lemme know. I've been looking for ages to no avail. Can't even find screens on google.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: DOS Mod I can't remember the name of...

Post by bicostp » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 am

weaver

Post by weaver » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:56 am

His description of it said it had a blue background and yellow text so it's probably Norton Commander.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Could also be List.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 pm

MasterPrime wrote:So they can play the old games we used to play without having too much of a hassle with command line. They're only 3 and 6 years old.
Start 'em young on command line - they'll learn to appreciate a GUI, and DOS interface never killed anybody! :P

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 am

All awesome suggestions and I thank you for them. but they aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I'll keep lookin. I really wish I knew more about it.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Was it a Tandy/Radio Shack computer? If it was, it may have been DeskMate.

Sevara

Post by Sevara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:45 am

If you're just emulating DOS, you can get a games-friendly GUI by using DosBox and D-Fend Reloaded together...

Erlex
Steam ID:Pelican417

Post by Erlex » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:26 am

eagle5953 wrote:
MasterPrime wrote:So they can play the old games we used to play without having too much of a hassle with command line. They're only 3 and 6 years old.
Start 'em young on command line - they'll learn to appreciate a GUI, and DOS interface never killed anybody! :P
No kidding. I grew up using all command line interfaces. And then when Windows came out I was like :shock: . My five year old self had never seen anything so amazing. :lol:

Do you have any C programming experience? If so, it wouldn't be terribly hard to program a simple GUI like the one you are describing.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:06 pm

tom61 wrote:Was it a Tandy/Radio Shack computer? If it was, it may have been DeskMate.
no it wasn't quite that old.
I'm just gonna go with Dfend Reloaded. simple enough to use for them. I'm not there to teach them and their parents aren't that computer literate.

I agree with starting them on the command line and I will teach them as much as I can but for now I just want them to be able to play games and watch their cartoons without a hassle.

This is gonna bug me though. I will find it. or I will go crazy.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 pm

We have found the name of the addon.

"DOS Menu"

The only screenshot I can find isn't on photobucket anymore. and typing that into google is hopeless. Oh well. Figured I'd update those that were interested and thank everyone for their suggestions. DFend is working great.

Dark-Show

Post by Dark-Show » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 pm

MasterPrime wrote:You remember DOS right? well what about the myriad of addons/mods that made DOS a little easier to navigate?

Our old 486 (complete with TURBO button and 28.8 modem) had a mod on it that gave DOS a graphical user interface. I never set it up but I do remember that it was blue. You could set shortcuts to programs and create your own menus and users for it. There's gotta be an old fogey like me on here that had this. It had a blue background with yellow text. My dad lost all his floppies in a fire and while I've recovered most of the games (thanks Memories project) I'm trying to find this one specific MOD to install on a DOS emulated box for the nephews. So they can play the old games we used to play without having too much of a hassle with command line. They're only 3 and 6 years old.

If anyone remembers what I'm talking about please lemme know. I've been looking for ages to no avail. Can't even find screens on google.

Sounds like the dosbox utilized gui
cant remember the name of it, but i had it on my psp back in the day.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 am

lmao i believe that was called QBasic, a buddy of mine plays around in it all the time

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:59 am

FatylPCs wrote:lmao i believe that was called QBasic, a buddy of mine plays around in it all the time
QBASIC is a programming language, not a launcher, though you could make one in it.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:29 pm

ahh - well i guess i fail this one lol