Game's snes Zelda theme portable - Nearly completed!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterful
Game's snes Zelda theme portable - Nearly completed!

Post by gamemasterful » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsOA_p8gReE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Video commercial! I'm making packaging for it too.

Materials so far:
Retro Duo
3.5 in lcd
2x Lithium-ion 7.4v 2000mAh batteries (making them parallel, 7.4v 4000mAh) Lenmar battery solutions LISG160, an offbrand of the SAM L160
Li-ion charge/protection circuit and smart charger.
color Video Now! tore apart for potentiometers, headphone jack, and speakers
snes controller
Li-ion protection/charging pcb and smart charger.
ribbon cable for wiring everything together
soldering iron and solder
+ random other devices I've torn apart for art's sake or hacking's sake
Ti switching regulator
Case=Tiger electronics quiz wiz + controller from NOAC + SNES controller + liquid abs and bondo spot filler

Thanks for everyone's help in answering my questions! Yall are all awesome.

I had, what I thought to be, a pretty ingenious idea. Usb charging? You get 5volts from your usb and up to 500mAh. Maybe with a different charger/batteries this portable could use it? Just a thought. But I still think it's highly possible to do.
Last edited by gamemasterful on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

gamemasterful

Re: Game's first snes portable project

Post by gamemasterful » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:00 am

Everything is working fine so far besides the controller... I still have the controller board connected, I just extended the cable to about 5 inches. I thought that I might have wired the controller wrong (since my retro duo controller has different colored wires, the only clear ones being vcc and ground.) Or even cut and rewired the board wrong, but even a controller plugged normally into the controller socket doesn't work. Checked my wiring and nothing seems to be wired incorrectly or crossing. Is 5 inches too much? I though it wouldn't be but maybe that one capacitor being too far away is too much?

I've also taken off that small bit where the power switch was. If I miswired one of those wires, which ones are directly related to the controllers, if any?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm

No, five inches should not be an issue. Also, you might even be able to do away with the capacitor on the controller jack board - it won't kill anything not having it. I don't know why your controller isn't working, though.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Found the issue. Evidently one of the wires is broken inside. Without a multimeter, that'll take time to find, so I'll just replace them all. Glad to know nothing is fried. I'm almost done except for the case!

Rewired controller, both the hub thing and the internal controller. All work.

Now I've noticed though that I have wavy lines or fuzz on my screen. I've hooked up all of my components (retroduo, screen, and speakers) to the PTH08080WAH, set at something around 5.1 volts. So maybe not getting enough amp? (As I've read around.) The thing can output up to 2.25 according to the datasheet, but I dunno if I'm getting the full amount.

I took off the amp and speakers and it was still the same...

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 am

that particular screen is known to have problems with some consoles. I do not think there is a way to fix these problems.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 am

There's different versions of that screen, but wasn't it the dealextreme one that had problems?

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:49 pm

I think there might be two versions of my screen. Mine is the one with the chips scraped so you don't know what they are.

I'll try adding a capacitor to the line or something to level the signal out. That's how I fixed the bass distortion. Now I can pump it up as loud as I want.

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I did it! I'll post up pics and maybe a movie.

Here's what you've got to do.

Ever open up one of those plug-n-play games? Right before they cables exit the system they have a ceramic magnet that they are looped in. That's all you have to do! I pulled a very small one from a sega genesis v1 board and now everything is crystal!

Onto case making!

What does everyone use to fill the tiny holes in the liquid abs after it's solid?

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:21 am

I'd say use bondo spot filler mixed with the hardener for the small cosmetic stuff.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Thankies. I've seen the stuff before but the package didn't quite say it was for plastic or not.