Case Ideas

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Mr BadWrench
Case Ideas

Post by Mr BadWrench » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:43 pm

I decided to make a post to collect some ideas I had. I got laid off work but I have all my finances sorted out so Im just going to pursue my hobbies while I job hunt.

I have a PSONE screen with broken hinges and decided to make my own portable. There used to be another forum that i was a member at but I cannot find it so I joined here.

Im looking for a shell so im going to post pics of my ideas in case I can help anyone.

I have the ability to cast small parts like joysticks, buttons and battery doors if anyone needs anything. I also have a vacuum forming table that I have never used and a huge pile of equipment that was all originally designed for doll and dollhouse construction and repair. Im in Ohio so if I can help anyone Id be happy to.

I want to put a gameboy SP into a GBA shell also so if anyone has any experience that would help me Id appreciate it.

I knew I had seen the datamax somewhere before so I hit the goodwill this morning and grabbed one... along with the crossword helper which seems to be an even more comfortable shell...
it would be a shame to cut up this case, but its really comfortable... the cartoons is excellent and I just got it for $13 at walmart.

Don

chainfire95

Re: Case Ideas

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:19 am

I would go with the datamax. Even though it has been done before it still is a great case. check this post. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=105
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:40 am

That Datamax version is a LOT harder to work with then the one I am using.

It has those flip up blue covers that have to be taken off and plastic welded in where they went. It's a pain. :roll:
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Oh yeah, I didn't notice those =P
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:56 am

hailrazer wrote:That Datamax version is a LOT harder to work with then the one I am using.

It has those flip up blue covers that have to be taken off and plastic welded in where they went. It's a pain. :roll:
Yes, Im not feeling the love for the datamax. Especially after all the other shell ideas ive seen.

This was at a higher priced goodwill but Ive seen them other places for $1 so I will wait. Now that I have seen the inside of the datamax I have much respect for anyone that has converted one. The Star Trek box is very simple and I have seen other similar items, Pencil boxes, napkin boxes and first aid kits to name a few. I intend to post a collection of pics if its ok with our administrators here.

Don

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Why dont you just order a product sample Zn-45 case from polycase or something equivalent?

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 am

chainfire95 wrote:Why dont you just order a product sample Zn-45 case from polycase or something equivalent?

LOL.... Polycase is like 40miles from me I could probably drive up and raid their dumpsters. Also I have seen First aid kits and things at local stores that I know they must have made... its just too easy.

I have the time and the camera, just figured Id start tossing out ideas and see if anyone adds anything.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:54 am

Mr BadWrench wrote:Polycase is like 40miles from me I could probably drive up and raid their dumpsters
Do that =P

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 pm

Huggies wipes container... I did not measure it or have anything in the picture to reference it.... Its about 4x9 and made os a softer material but usable IMO

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:51 am

Shape of the huggies container looks good. Dumpster diving is great especially when you are diving into the dumpster of pier1. Great furniture with only a scratch on it. Did anyone ever thought of a complete metal case?

neverused

Post by neverused » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:20 pm

brandonk318 wrote:Did anyone ever thought of a complete metal case?
Someone started making a GC portable in a metal case once, but I don't think they ever finished it.

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm

SCORE!

no one told me the lazer doodle was actually the size of a stormtroopers head.... BTW the lazer doodle is the dumbest toy I have ever seen...

thewizdawg

Post by thewizdawg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:33 pm

I have one of those digital makeover things. I think it may be a little thin for our uses. But I do like the shoulder buttons. Also the Datamax v.1 is a lot better.

I really like these cases.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/7in1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/H2HBaseball.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/H2HFootball.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/H2HTennis.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Ive seen the baseball one at a goodwill... Im looking at CDROM cases now, I found one that is very nice...

Im collecting info to build 2 systems and I do not want them to be even similar. I think im going to start hacking the lazerdoodle since the datamax is somewhat amusing on its own.

Mr BadWrench

Post by Mr BadWrench » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 pm

another Datamax?

my goodwill treats me well... I recently found a datamax without the flip out blue covers. originally I thought it was just something someone broke and painted with a magic marker, but it is not.... could save someone much effort.

lol http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10040229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this is a good looking case IMO