iPhone vs Droid

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
iPhone vs Droid

Post by ghosstt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, the time has come for me to possibly upgrade my phone. I'm on ATT as of right now, but with work, I get a discount at Verizon on both plans, and phones. This has brought me to the question, upgrade to the iPhone, or pick up a droid? Heres how its playing out for me

iPhone:
I love all the apps it has, and that is really what is driving me towards it. I would probably buy a 16gig 3GS, possibly refurbed for around $50. My main concern is that there will probably be a new iPhone being released around July, which is when my contract actually runs out. Do you think they will provide an update to the 3GS phones to allow some obvious new features like multitasking? I also don't really like the UI of the iPhone, though that isn't much of a problem for me.

Droid:
I personally think it is a nicer looking phone than the iPhone, even with its square edges. I love the UI, and think that the multitasking is sweet. I'd have to wait till July to switch over to Verizon, and by then, the possible new iPhone would be out, and I'm sure another Droid would be out. I wouldn't really have much use for the "social networking" type stuff it boasts a lot about, though it would be nice. The free GPS is a mega plus.

What do you guys think? The big issue for me is iPhone now, or wait it out and pick up a new one, or just switch to droid?

DK

Re: iPhone vs Droid

Post by DK » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:13 pm

I'd wait for the Nexus One to come out. Droid's ok but its keyboard isn't too good.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:17 pm

If you plan on doing a lot of web browsing, remember the Droid's screen has 2.6 times the pixels as the iphone's. It'll take a bit to get used to, but probably work out a ton better if you need the screen space. Also, the Droid has a replaceable battery, microSDHC slot, and physical keyboard.
If it were me, I would get the Droid over the iphone.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:01 pm

DK wrote:I'd wait for the Nexus One to come out. Droid's ok but its keyboard isn't too good.
if you want 3G on the nexus one its Tmo only, if you have sprint and get it its EDGE only. and its almost 600$ unlocked, probably 200 on Tmo contract and 80$ a month

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:45 pm

I have an iPhone and the Motorolla Droid.

I prefer the Droid. Internet on it is faster and much better looking with the higher screen res. The built in keyboard is great for texting and composing emails, text. etc.

The iPhone has more Apps and the touchscreen is a bit nicer.

All in all I use the Droid a lot more than the iPhone now.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm thinking im gonna go for the droid. Even though it doesn't have 100,000+ apps, I failed to fully realize that it did just get released, unlike the iPhone, and how many unique apps does iPhone actually have. (As in not rehashed versions) Plus, I love the customizablitily of it right out of the box.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:40 pm

The big downside for me about the Droid is no multi-touch :|

Also you can multitask on an iPhone if you jailbreak :wink: Which I've done and LOVE it! :D

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

hackmodford wrote:The big downside for me about the Droid is no multi-touch :|

Also you can multitask on an iPhone if you jailbreak :wink: Which I've done and LOVE it! :D
the droid hardware supports multitouch, give them a few weeks/months to either port the milestone firmware or apps and you wont even have to worry about it

DK

Post by DK » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:14 pm

The Multitouch internet browser has already been ported to the Droid.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Unfortunatly, GPS won't be of much use in coming years..the sattelites that make up the GPS network in space are all wearing down and starting to fail. The companies that put the sats up are unable to replace them due to the cost of placing things space is high. Unless replacements are sent up soon, or significant repairs are made (which is nearly impossible given their size) GPS will be 100% worthless by 2012....not to mention the predicted solar flare activity that same year will also be a factor in rendering them worthless.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Unfortunatly, GPS won't be of much use in coming years..the sattelites that make up the GPS network in space are all wearing down and starting to fail. The companies that put the sats up are unable to replace them due to the cost of placing things space is high. Unless replacements are sent up soon, or significant repairs are made (which is nearly impossible given their size) GPS will be 100% worthless by 2012....not to mention the predicted solar flare activity that same year will also be a factor in rendering them worthless.
Good. People need to become less dependent on technology.

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Unfortunatly, GPS won't be of much use in coming years..the sattelites that make up the GPS network in space are all wearing down and starting to fail. The companies that put the sats up are unable to replace them due to the cost of placing things space is high. Unless replacements are sent up soon, or significant repairs are made (which is nearly impossible given their size) GPS will be 100% worthless by 2012....not to mention the predicted solar flare activity that same year will also be a factor in rendering them worthless.
I'd like to see some sources for that. I doubt that a system integral to our country's defense would be allowed to fail so rapidly and spectacularly. While I don't doubt that the satellites are getting old, I'd assume they'll be replaced or repaired before the overall system is adversely affected.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 pm

If I remember right, I read that in popular mechanics some time ago. ..or was it popular science? I forget which one, I just remember the popular part lol. I'll have to do some searching and see what all is up with that..*activites the google search*

EDIT: Here's a few random soucres stating the problems happening with it right now.

Bout the sats failing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... -breakdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.switched.com/2009/05/19/gps- ... n-by-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0911/02gps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bout the upcoming solor storm stuff:

http://socioecohistory.wordpress.com/20 ... torm-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some info on the sats currently in orbit:

http://msl.jpl.nasa.gov/QuickLooks/gps2QL.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..do notice how the last one put up was done in '96, and that the machines only have a 7 design life....
Last edited by Metallica Man X on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 pm

i strongly doubt this timeframe, MIR was designed to last 5 years and it was in orbit for 15. and like Black six said, its a vital infrastructure, they arent gonna let it disappear. Also the ATS-3 sattelite was in active service from 1967 to 2001 and the vanguard 1 satelite has been in orbit for nearly 51 years even tho communications were lost in '64 lol

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Black Six wrote:
I'd like to see some sources for that. I doubt that a system integral to our country's defense would be allowed to fail so rapidly and spectacularly. While I don't doubt that the satellites are getting old, I'd assume they'll be replaced or repaired before the overall system is adversely affected.
Highly unlikely that any of this would come to pass, but I can dream can't I? :)