Avatar (not the airbender)(POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERTS)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3
Re: Avatar (not the airbender)

Post by vskid » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:42 am

limpport wrote:
vskid wrote:Hide on the floating rocks or in the trees, ambush the humans,
Did you really see the movie? :P
Ok, so the air attack wasn't too bad, but it was still stupid that they got so close to begin with. It was like watching Transformers, all the military planes seemed unable to fly higher than 500 feet, just begging to be destroyed. It just didn't seem like the best way to go, especially with their limited numbers.
The ground attack was completely stupid, though. Charging an enemy that has weapons that kill you in a couple hits isn't the best idea. Playing Russian Roulette is probably safer. Making a wedge and breaking through the line so they could attack from both sides would have been better.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Avatar (not the airbender)(POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERTS)

Post by hackmodford » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:33 pm

I'm not too sure... the only way the na'vi could have a chance was if they were near the area they were trying to protect since a lot of equipment didn't work effectively in there...

But if they dropped rocks from the sky that wouldn't be fun to watch :roll:

I think I just like movies with "out-of-body" experiences i.e. Matrix, Avatar, Surrogates? (never seen that one but it sounds good to me...)

J.D

Post by J.D » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:09 pm

vskid's argument sucks. If they made it as realistic as possible, it wouldn't be fun to watch. Besides, give an opinion on the actual movie, not what should have happened in the movie.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Thankyou J.D

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:13 am

Ok......just got back from watching this. I score it an OK. The visual effects where stunning, not that I'm entirely basing my opinion on that, but I did like the general story. Some of the characters where just bland, no soul, yea..........So what though, it wasn't as bad as Beowulf...................despite the stunning CGI....that movie was so much crap, i regret spending $9 dollars to see it. It destroyed the book!

This movie generally gave me the hype that Transformers 1 did, I thought it was so great, best movie EVER, though later I had to contemplate how bad some of these scenes and story was. I don't like Transformers 1 soo much anymore.

AVATAR reminds me a little of one of my favorite movies "Princess Mononoke," in fact right now this movie is very similar to it in a way. Having something such as humans vs. nature, and the humans merely wanting to dig up a resource from a forest for personal gain. Heh, come to think of it, the main character, the one who comes to the aide of the "nature lover side" falls in love with the so called princess of their kind in both of these movies. Hrmmmm. To set it straight though, these movies make some good connections, but Miyazaki's characters are a lot more developed and his storytelling is just awesome.
(Princess Mononoke = Best Hayao Miyazaki movie ever made)

A little correction for the earlier posts in this thread:
-Yes he had a flashback to the cremation of his brother, and these so called people wanted to sign him up because he would be able to operate one of their already made "Avatars". So he decided to take their offer in pursuit of a new life and went to pandora. A lot of movies use flashbacks.

This movie confuses me in a small technical aspect; how exactly did they connect the user to the avatar? Besides DNA, i mean seriously? Radio waves? They didn't seem to have any communication arrays on that small moveable cabin they had to study out in the field with. What is the range on their devices, considering it doesn't really cast the user outside of his body!? Was there a matrix of chips in the Avatar's bodies? How did the body operate to sustain living tissue when the user was not interfacing? Matrix at least makes sense in the aspect of tech behind a movie; they had to broadcast where a signal was reachable, and there avatars where in a virtual world tied to a unending network of computers.

Wall E, had to be one of my favorite movies to come out of the minds of Pixar, despite disney tightening their grip around them.

UP, was also good, the movie just makes me sad.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:14 am

I wondered that too... because at first Jake's Avatar is in the lab... that kinda makes sense
But then when he ends up in the great tree and can connect/disconnect at will... it's strange...
But the concept is so cool I love it...

I believe that when they "disconnect" the avatar body behaves as if it's sleeping... just as when they "connect" the human body acts as if it is sleeping... they even threw in REM.

Edit: By the way everyone... I loved Wall-E too...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zaJdq0V ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excellent

limpport

Post by limpport » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:04 pm

"If you're starting to look like a sea urchin, then you know you're doing it right."

:lol:

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:21 am

at first, I thought that girl was going to be another stupid YouTube girl, but she turned out to be hilarious.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Me too. The person who linked me to it thought she was serious. XD She is such a good troll.

Excellent

JariV

Post by JariV » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:27 am

I went to this movie today, the 3D was nice but everything was so predictable.
Last edited by JariV on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:31 pm

I saw it today as well....the best movie I've seen in a long time.