Wii wont update!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

toby dawg
Portablizer
Wii wont update!

Post by toby dawg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 pm

I just got a wii and wanted to go on the wii store. It needs to update, my internet connection tests all work. But i get the error code that basickly says i cant download the update. My internet is not slow... xbox live works. I need to adjust something with my router which is a Linksis. I tried adjusting the chanel to 1 and 11 and turning off the fire walls and playing with the mtu but still no luck. Can anyone shed some light?

OMGpedobear

Re: Wii wont update!

Post by OMGpedobear » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:19 am

try finding out what port the wii is trying to connect to its update server on, forward this port from your routers interface.

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:06 am

Haha ok.. can you please explain how this is done?

Dr. Killjoy
360 GamerTag:DrKilljoy59
Steam ID:drkilljoy88

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:19 pm

All Linksys routers are relatively the same in terms of the web-based setup (from what I've seen). There should be a section on the setup page that has port forwarding (for me, it's under "Applications & Gaming").

A little research brought up this for the ports to forward for the Wii:
TCP:
Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443

UDP:
Allow all traffic to all destinations. (Necessary for peer-to-peer connections and game play). Our Network Test tool can be used from a computer behind your firewall to test if outbound UDP is allowed.
On the port forwarding page, just put those values in for the Start and End sections and choose the appropriate protocol (ie. TCP, UDP, both). Then tell it which IP address the Wii is for the IP section (this means you have to have the Wii set up with a static IP address, if you don't already).
Last edited by Dr. Killjoy on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FS/T thread!
See my feedback here.

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 am

Ill try it man
:facepalm: if u hack me

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Ok im so confuzed and angry. I dont know what im doing.. I tryed to set up a static ip from a differnt wii site and i cant get it. I dont understand how to set the numbers into port range forwarding... which numbers go to port starting and ending? :evil:

Dr. Killjoy

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:10 pm

Just put the same number in for both Start and End (ie. 28910 would go in Start and End for one line, 29900 would go in Start and End for the next line, etc.).

This site may help you for forwarding ports on Linksys routers: http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... efault.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this site may be helpful for setting up a static IP on your Wii (this one shows you how to do it on the Xbox 360, but much of the procedure is the same): http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See my feedback here.

toby dawg
Portablizer

Post by toby dawg » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Yanktaba. Still no go. I did everyting u said and the wii accepted the settings...Its on a static IP and the ports were forwarded. It passed the connection test but still no updating. Do you know anything else i can do? My connection is fast enough for xbox live no problem so i am totally stumped.

Dr. Killjoy

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:41 am

Try googling the error code that the Wii gives you when you try to update.
See my feedback here.