Controller Port Problems

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

pally321
Controller Port Problems

Post by pally321 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:15 pm

I bought a used Sega Genesis and I have working controllers but when you plug in the controllers they don't work. You can shake the controller cord for a while and it will sometimes work. I have cleaned the ports with alcohol and electronics cleaner but they still don't work. Does anybody know what the problem might be?
Chuck Norris is the only person who is man enough to build a Philips CD-i portable.

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Re: Controller Port Problems

Post by Zeturi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:24 pm

The metal on those ports is strong, so I doubt it's the controller ports. Are you sure the controller's wires aren't damaged? Check around where the cord comes out of the controller, and make sure the wires aren't stripped or torn.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

pally321

Post by pally321 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 am

I bought the controllers off ebay and they said they had been tested. I also used it on another controller earlier and it didn't work either. I returned it because I thought it was the controller but now I'm pretty sure it's because of the ports.
Chuck Norris is the only person who is man enough to build a Philips CD-i portable.

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Have you ever opened the system? If anything was modified, that could be a problem.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

pally321

Post by pally321 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 am

We did open it once, but that was just for lubricating the power input.

pally321

Post by pally321 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Well I took the genesis apart and completely cleaned it and it seems to work better, but not perfect. I am going to try a more powerful corrosion remover and see if it helps.