Raiden II JAMMA PCB

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
Raiden II JAMMA PCB

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 am

I just bought me a Raiden II JAMMA PCB from ebay yesterday for only $99! One of my few favorites, arcade wise. (Working Condition by the way, with Marquee)

Anyway, this would be my first arcade item to own. I've read up more on the JAMMAs, pinouts, power needs, video output.

I see it outputs RGB w/ Sync, and I have found a cheap converter to either RCA or VGA.
One issue is this game is a vertical display, would a typical VGA or RCA TV or Monitor(LCD) be able to display this without issue? Or is there a video converter you can use on a widescreen monitor and rotate it? Be advised I don't think the Raiden II service mode or dip switches can rotate the video output.

Would anyone also know a cheap alternative arcade LCD? I could plan on making a tabletop version of this after completing my other projects. This will be something I'll have to get to later, I just find it rare and decided to purchase for the future.

tom61

Re: Raiden II JAMMA PCB

Post by tom61 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:47 am

If you rotate the CRT while it's off, most CRTs should be fine. If you rotate it while on, or sometimes just powered, you'll get magnet artifacts from rotating the CRT's magnetic field inside the Earth's. If you can degauss the CRT, that will clear the artifacts. LCDs have no such issues, of course.

If you're in the US, most LCDs (TVs and computer monitors) won't take 480i via the RGB inputs (only 480p and higher), but should work OK with the video converter. A component converter will be best, as most TVs take 480i via that input, which is closest to what Raiden II outputs). There may be sync issues, though.

If you mean rotate the widescreen display physically, all you need is the proper mount. If you mean rotate the image electronically so it fits on a landscape screen, I've not encountered anything like that, an it is technically complicated to pull off.

Good price on the board, BTW. When I was looking this summer, the boards were going for $130+ for functional boards.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:30 pm

tom61 wrote:Good price on the board, BTW. When I was looking this summer, the boards were going for $130+ for functional boards.
Man some people must be desperate to buy non-functional boards, considering when it comes down to custom components. How would one go about repairing something like that anyway is beyond me.

tom61 wrote:If you mean rotate the widescreen display physically, all you need is the proper mount. If you mean rotate the image electronically so it fits on a landscape screen, I've not encountered anything like that, an it is technically complicated to pull off.
Would you think if I have a converter that the picture on a monitor or TV would the picture be vertical (rotated 90 degrees)? I mean like, all I would have to do is rotate the monitor physically?

I only ask this because I thought some older CRT arcade monitors were only designed for horizontal, and some for vertical, and thats how some of the vertical monitor arcade units worked......I didn't know like it was phyiscally rotated, I just thought the components where designed vertically and that the input, if fed to lets say a horizontal unit, would be like upright, not rotated 90 degrees. Not that I plan on using a CRT, i'm just using that as an example for what i'm trying to get at.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:33 am

rikitheshadow wrote:
tom61 wrote:Good price on the board, BTW. When I was looking this summer, the boards were going for $130+ for functional boards.
Man some people must be desperate to buy non-functional boards, considering when it comes down to custom components. How would one go about repairing something like that anyway is beyond me.
$130 was the price of working boards, non-working went for a fair bit less. They're repaired like any other electronic device.

tom61 wrote:If you mean rotate the widescreen display physically, all you need is the proper mount. If you mean rotate the image electronically so it fits on a landscape screen, I've not encountered anything like that, an it is technically complicated to pull off.
Would you think if I have a converter that the picture on a monitor or TV would the picture be vertical (rotated 90 degrees)? I mean like, all I would have to do is rotate the monitor physically?

I only ask this because I thought some older CRT arcade monitors were only designed for horizontal, and some for vertical, and thats how some of the vertical monitor arcade units worked......I didn't know like it was phyiscally rotated, I just thought the components where designed vertically and that the input, if fed to lets say a horizontal unit, would be like upright, not rotated 90 degrees. Not that I plan on using a CRT, i'm just using that as an example for what i'm trying to get at.
Vertical versus horizontal arcade monitor is the mount, not the electronics. Hook a horizontal game to a vertical monitor, you'll get a full-screen display that is rotated 90 degrees. Same with vertical on horizontal. The monitor in my arcade cabinet is rotatable, so even though it was originally a SNK POW machine (a horizontal game), I can play things like Raiden II just by physically rotating the monitor.

Check the images of this thread for rotated monitors (called 'tated' in many arcade related circles): http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arfink

Post by arfink » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:40 am

Wow, Raiden II for less that $100 is pretty decent. But yes, rotating the screen is probably your best bet, and is also generally safe to do.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:23 pm

:facepalm: upon researching the dip switches again on the Raiden 2 board.....there is a dip switch setting for a screen flip.

So I shouldn't have an issue with any TV and/or Monitor.

I have a another question, I checked the lithium battery designed to retain the CMOS memory and probably high scores (book keeping if it has that feature). Theres no charge to it at all.......but something like this is not all to necessary is it?

If I wanted to or needed to replace it would this battery work?

http://www.happcontrols.com/electrical_ ... 103200.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Item # 49-0856-00

The original is a Maxwell Super Lithium apparently marked for 3.6v and is like the size of a AA battery.

***On a extra note, I found the manual in a .pdf online*** (glad to know it doesn't need -5v....)

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:37 pm

rikitheshadow wrote::facepalm: upon researching the dip switches again on the Raiden 2 board.....there is a dip switch setting for a screen flip.
That is clockwise/counter clockwise rotated monitor flip, not a work on horizontal monitor switch. Many Vertical games have this.
I have a another question, I checked the lithium battery designed to retain the CMOS memory and probably high scores (book keeping if it has that feature). Theres no charge to it at all.......but something like this is not all to necessary is it?

If I wanted to or needed to replace it would this battery work?

http://www.happcontrols.com/electrical_ ... 103200.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Item # 49-0856-00

The original is a Maxwell Super Lithium apparently marked for 3.6v and is like the size of a AA battery.

***On a extra note, I found the manual in a .pdf online*** (glad to know it doesn't need -5v....)
The battery is optional, just stores high scores. That battery looks right to me.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:48 pm

tom61 wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote::facepalm: upon researching the dip switches again on the Raiden 2 board.....there is a dip switch setting for a screen flip.
That is clockwise/counter clockwise rotated monitor flip, not a work on horizontal monitor switch. Many Vertical games have this.
Ya, I had to figure as much.....180 degree rotation.

Still working out the kinks, but I have a question about audio for JAMMA boards.
I know a place I can buy some 8ohm speakers, which are typically what JAMMA boards use, they sell them and pairs.

I've noticed a lot of arcade cabinents using 2 speakers, even if they are mono audio.
If I where to wire 2 speakers to my JAMMA board, would I need anything special?
And/or do I wire them in series or parallel?

If the idea of wiring them in parallel, would it be practical to wire a 3 way switch for a mute/1speaker/2speakers to control volume easily? I'm just shooting out ideas besides using a potentiometer.......

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:33 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:I've noticed a lot of arcade cabinents using 2 speakers, even if they are mono audio.
If I where to wire 2 speakers to my JAMMA board, would I need anything special?
And/or do I wire them in series or parallel?
While the JAMMA connector only supports mono, many games have a second channel for stereo on a separate connector. That other connector varies by board type. I'd just hook up the left speaker to JAMMA and leave the other one with a connector that can plug into various boards, after a harness is made for them (ex. have a phono/RCA connector on the speaker wires, then build an adapter for each board's second channel that connects to a phono connector).

My cab has holes and grills for two speakers, but only the left speaker hole has a speaker in it, still sounds pretty decent.
If the idea of wiring them in parallel, would it be practical to wire a 3 way switch for a mute/1speaker/2speakers to control volume easily? I'm just shooting out ideas besides using a potentiometer.......
If you feel like you need them in parallel, yeah, a three-way center off switch will do what you desire. Keep in mind that nearly all JAMMA boards have an in-built volume control, though.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:14 pm

I sort of want to make a makeshift power supply to test the board, and i'll feed the RGB output into a Psone screen.
I have a 12v ATX power supply lying around, 20 pin, 420 watts. And the board accepts 5v at 5amps, and 12v at 1amps......i'm still confused on this because I have no complete knowledge of electronics.....but the power supply I have around is labeled as such....

AC Output Current +3.3v +5v +12v -5v -12v +5vsb
10A / 5A 26.0A 32.0A 13.0A 0.5A 0.8A 2.0A

Would this power supply be able to support it or fry it?

Only going to use it for a small preliminary test before I buy an official JAMMA like supported power supply.

The only reason I asked is because I'm not sure how AMPs comes into play here.
For example, I had an accessory that runs on 5v and needs about 5A, but lets say the power supply can only support 1A....so I figure that will not work......BUT lets say if the accessory runs on 1A and the power supply has support up to 5A......would that be bad for the accessory....or will that be like OK because as long as the accessory is under the power supply's amperage?

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:09 pm

The PSU should be fine. Computer PSUs can put out quite a lot of amps and arcade boards are generally overrated.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:41 pm

or will that be like OK because as long as the accessory is under the power supply's amperage?
This is the right one.
AC Output Current +3.3v +5v +12v -5v -12v +5vsb
10A / 5A 26.0A 32.0A 13.0A 0.5A 0.8A 2.0A
10A/ 5A is the AC Current draw (varies depending on 120V vs. 240V utility type), the rest is in order of the voltages. 26 Amps available on the main +5 Volts rail, 32 Amps available on the +12 Volts rail.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Just got an early present from USPS and the guys at JAMMABoards.com

Well.......technically not a present........i paid for it.

kibble

Post by kibble » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:56 am

Very nice! :wink:
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Nice. Wish I had a working board of it. I may have to get a super gun setup myself, as I don't to drag my cab up the multiple stairs to my apartment.