Wii vga cable (component convertor i think)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

OMGpedobear
Wii vga cable (component convertor i think)

Post by OMGpedobear » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 pm

I have one of those wii/ps3 vga cables on order from amazon (link at the bottom) its taking ages to arrive so ive been wanting to buy some games for my wii and im not sure if every game will support it, I suspect it just adds h sync and v sync signals to the rgb out put from the wii ( i love being en England, i get rgb, you have to put up with s-video :lol: :lol: ). The vdigi webstie mentions some game incompatibilties but doesnt mention what games. It does say that all virtual console games and most game cube games wont work, but im fine with that. Also no mention on whether the awesome new bbc iplayer channel will work or if the internet browser will work.

So basicaly, what wil work and what wont.

heres the link :) http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HDTV- ... 936&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: Wii vga cable (component convertor i think)

Post by Rekarp » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:30 pm

my wii is hooked up with component >_>. The only thing I use S-video for is my Atari but that is cause it is the best it can produce...
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 pm

We have component, which works with anything related to the Wii.
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!

OMGpedobear

Post by OMGpedobear » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:03 am

in that case the internet lied, you egt rgb to :). what si the difference betweem rgb and components anyway? is it that rgb has sync signals and components dosent ?

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 am

Besides 90% of GC games you'll be fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ga ... ED_support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only these games wil display for the GC, but all Wii games should be fine.

kibble

Post by kibble » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:37 pm

OMGpedobear wrote:in that case the internet lied, you egt rgb to :). what si the difference betweem rgb and components anyway? is it that rgb has sync signals and components dosent ?
RGB and component are similar in that they use three color cables, but the way the signals are sent are slightly different.

With RGB you have the three colors sent separately and some sort of sync signal, it can be RGBHV or RGsB or RGBs, where RGBHV is RGB plus horizontal and vertical syncs, RGsB where green has the sync info and RGBs where s is a composite sync.

With component, you have a luma channel with sync, the green cable, and two difference channels, red and blue. Some arithmetic and blanking circuits are required to be able to get RGB from component and you need to separate the sync from the luma line, which is what a transcoder does. If you connect a progressive component signal to an RGB input on a monitor that supports sync-on-green, you'll get an image, but it will be all green and black with some slightly noticeable, very, very low levels of blue and red.
Last edited by kibble on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:40 pm

It depends on whether it's in Progressive Scan or not. The majority of GCN games aren't (won't work), while practically all Wii games are (will work). Notable examples of non-progressive scan Wii games are MadWorld and Metal Slug Anthology. Just FWI, I'm pretty sure the games are incompatible with Computer Monitors, since those won't do interlaced scan, not the cord itself, so if you're using a TV with a PC port, all of them should work fine. Don't quote me on that though.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:01 pm

The European consoles can do RGB, the US ones do component. Hardware differences, I think.

Excellent

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:09 am

kibble wrote:
OMGpedobear wrote:in that case the internet lied, you egt rgb to :). what si the difference betweem rgb and components anyway? is it that rgb has sync signals and components dosent ?
RGB and component are similar in that they use three color cables, but the way the signals are sent are slightly different.

With RGB you have the three colors sent separately and some sort of sync signal, it can be RGBHV or RGsB or RGBs, where RGBHV is RGB plus horizontal and vertical syncs, RGsB where green has the sync info and RGBs where s is a composite sync.

With component, you have a luma channel with sync, the green cable, and two difference channels, red and blue. Some arithmetic and blanking circuits are required to be able to get RGB from component and you need to separate the sync from the luma line, which is what a transcoder does. If you connect a progressive component signal to an RGB input on a monitor that supports sync-on-green, you'll get an image, but it will be all green and black with some slightly noticeable, very, very low levels of blue and red.
Thanks for explaining that Kibble. I've been wondering actually. Now, which signal has a better image? Component or RGB-or are they pretty much the same.
Image Image

OMGpedobear

Post by OMGpedobear » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:20 am

thanks for all the help guys :) cleared things up a bit. My cable has arrived but im not allowed to have til Christmas :twisted: .