wiring a nes controller to a MP4 game player??

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

airz
Portablizer
wiring a nes controller to a MP4 game player??

Post by airz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 pm

so i bought this mp4 media player [here] because it has the option of playing nes games, but the controller is horrible and makes playing the games impossible. so i wanted to mod it in to a new case and wire on a nes controller. but im not 100% how to go about it. i took the mp4 player apart and the buttons that it uses are simple dome shapes of metal, held on by tape. that when pressed down connect the outer ring with the middle ring. my guess is that the insides of the circles are the the connection and the outer rings are grounds??? i tried to just solder some wires straight from the iner ring and outer ring to different sides of the buttons on the nes controller board like in the diagram... but it just made so that none of the buttons on the mp4 player worked.. can anyone help me out?

ImageImage

Image Image Image

snowpenguin

Re: wiring a nes controller to a MP4 game player??

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:13 pm

I don't know about the switches, but if you use the NES controller board, make sure to remove all the components.

Try taking a multimeter and holding it to different places while you press the button, see what are the contacts on it.

saarela

Post by saarela » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 pm

Where can i find a headphone that fits my mp4 player? I have a non-branded japanese mp4 player. It works fine, except the headphones are utterly rubbish. I am having difficulty in finding a pair that has the same size jack on the end. Its a lot smaller than normal headphone jacks. Any help on where i can buy a pair of headphones or some information on how to find out what size the jack is would be appreciated.
Last edited by saarela on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:32 am

saarela wrote:Where can i find a headphone that fits my mp4 player? I have a non-branded japanese mp4 player. It works fine, except the headphones are utterly rubbish. I am having difficulty in finding a pair that has the same size jack on the end. Its a lot smaller than normal headphone jacks. Any help on where i can buy a pair of headphones or some information on how to find out what size the jack is would be appreciated.
ok, first of all, dont derail topics for your own purposes.
second; you need 2.5mm headphones, or a 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone adapter. Here is a very helpful site for finding what you need. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.