Items to avoid using, and alternative products

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

pLover
Items to avoid using, and alternative products

Post by pLover » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:41 am

Obviously, using just ONE won't do much, but if everyone has this attitude, things won't be good. Haven't you seen "Pee," from South Park? Also, notice I say "should." It's not like the world will end if you use them, but supplies are limited. And when i say clone controllers, the way to tell is if they have the official system logo or whatever, they're the kind to void. If they don't, chop away!

Endangered Species...es, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, NO MATTER WHAT THE PROJECT IS:

Top-Loading NES: They may be smaller than the original NES, but they're very rare and should be kept around
....................Alternatives: RetroDuo, NOAC, Original NES, NES Clone Systems

Virtual Boy: There are so many reasons not to alter a Virtual Boy
....................Alternatives: None

SEGA Nomad: There's really no reason to use the SEGA Nomad board as a small Genesis to hack. That's just dumb, it's already portable.
....................Alternatives: Sega Genesis, Gen X, other Genesis clone systems

GameBoy Micro: There aren't a ton of these, try not to mod them
....................Alternatives: GBASP, GBA

SuperJoy: A lot of people like these, but they're very rare now and should be avoided.
....................Alternatives: Other NOACs

Original SNES Controller: I actually can't find any of these on eBay. All of them I try to get end up as clone controllers.
....................Alternatives: Clone SNES controllers, RetroDuo Controllers, Two 4021 ICs (Wire together to make a homemade controller, then vaccum-form a case. Or, if you're taking the controller apart, just wire the ICs together and add switches and resistors)

PS Controllers: These are incredibly rare. THese are the kind with no analog sticks, just the buttons.
....................Alternatives: Later PS controllers, Clone controllers

PSone 5" LCD: These are incredibly common and loved, but there are very few left and they're all expensive. They should be kept to a modding minimum.
....................Alternatives: Zenith 5" Xbox/PS2 LCD (Same motherboard inside, you can even use the same modding diagrams)

Any Special-Edittion System/Controller/Whatever: Any system that has some sort of special case should not be used in a project of any kind, unless you make sure you replace the mobo. (For example, if the only N64 you can get at the time is a Hey, You! Pikachu! edition N64, then just get another N64 later and put that mobo in the Pikachu shell)
....................Alternatives: A normal version of the same system

Any Rare Item: Things like a QuikShot Joystick or one of those NES headset things, or even a Mega Memory Card should be avoided. They're rare and unless you can replace the mobo, just try not to use them. But things like Sega Saturns, or the Atari Jaguar should be avoided unless you really want to use them.
....................Alternatives: Varies

Incredibly Old Gaming Units: ColecoVision, Pong, etc... Just don't use them.
....................Alternatives: None

Low Supply Items, TRY NOT TO USE:

These are items where if you can, you shouldn't use, but it's not horrible if you do use them. They are somewhat rare but not terribly rare.

SNES Mini (Alternatives: Original SNES, RetroDuo, Gen X, Other SNES clone systems)
Original NES (Alternatives: NOACs)
NES Controllers (Alternatives: Clone controllers)
Original Ataris (Alternatives: AOACs)
Atari Controllers (Alternatives: Simple tact switch wiring)
Genesis III (Alternatives: Genesis I, Genesis II, Genesis clone systems)
Nintendo 64 (Alternatives: None... so far) (At this rate, the N64 will make this list soon, so try to avoid using one until a clone system comes out)

Other items, YOU CAN USE THEM JUST FINE, BUT THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES TO PRESERVE TO ORIGINAL STUFF:

First-Party Controllers (Alternatives: Clone controllers)

Anyone got anything to add to the list?

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Items to avoid using, and alternative products

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:27 am

pLover wrote:GameBoy Micro: There aren't a ton of these, try not to mod them
They aren't that rare, and I can't recall seeing any projects utilizing them.
pLover wrote:PS Controllers: These are incredibly rare. THese are the kind with no analog sticks, just the buttons.
These controllers aren't just common - they are the easiest and cheapest controllers of all to find, in my experience.
pLover wrote:PSone 5" LCD: These are incredibly common and loved, but there are very few left and they're all expensive. They should be kept to a modding minimum.
....................Alternatives: Zenith 5" Xbox/PS2 LCD (Same motherboard inside, you can even use the same modding diagrams)
They are "incredibly common," yet there are "very few left." Those descriptions are mutually exclusive.
pLover wrote:Any Special-Edittion System/Controller/Whatever: Any system that has some sort of special case should not be used in a project of any kind, unless you make sure you replace the mobo. (For example, if the only N64 you can get at the time is a Hey, You! Pikachu! edition N64, then just get another N64 later and put that mobo in the Pikachu shell)
This one's kind of obvious, but at the same time, just because it is a "special edition" or "limited edition" doesn't mean it is valuable, or even rare. Remember, the silver Gamecube was sold as a "limited edition."
pLover wrote:SNES Mini (Alternatives: Original SNES, RetroDuo, Gen X, Other SNES clone systems)
The SNES Mini is the only choice for portablizers who want perfect compatability. The clones are advantageous in size, price, and power draw only. Also, the regular SNES is too large and power-hungry to be portablized very well.
pLover wrote:Genesis III (Alternatives: Genesis I, Genesis II, Genesis clone systems)
Harder to find, but have nearly perfect compatability and are usually not much more expensive than a clone. Additionally, they have low power draw as well. The Genesis I IS NOT a valid portablizing option under any circumstance.
pLover wrote:Nintendo 64 (Alternatives: None... so far) (At this rate, the N64 will make this list soon, so try to avoid using one until a clone system comes out)
The N64 is still very common and inexpensive. Furthermore, there are no other alternatives, such as clones, at this point. If you're concerned that too many are ruined by failed attempts, you should encourage people to use the earlier, less fry-prone systems or get an experienced modder to relocate the cart slot for them. I did it without killing it, and that was using a later model that's supposed to be more susceptible to frying.

limpport

Post by limpport » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 pm

eagle5953 wrote:
pLover wrote:Nintendo 64 (Alternatives: None... so far) (At this rate, the N64 will make this list soon, so try to avoid using one until a clone system comes out)
The N64 is still very common and inexpensive. Furthermore, there are no other alternatives, such as clones, at this point. If you're concerned that too many are ruined by failed attempts, you should encourage people to use the earlier, less fry-prone systems or get an experienced modder to relocate the cart slot for them. I did it without killing it, and that was using a later model that's supposed to be more susceptible to frying.
Basically, don't do an N64 portable as your first project until you are more skilled and have had more practice.

pLover

Post by pLover » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 pm

eagle5953 wrote:
pLover wrote:GameBoy Micro: There aren't a ton of these, try not to mod them
They aren't that rare, and I can't recall seeing any projects utilizing them.

Just because people don't use them often doesn't mea people shouldn't destoroy them.
pLover wrote:PS Controllers: These are incredibly rare. THese are the kind with no analog sticks, just the buttons.
These controllers aren't just common - they are the easiest and cheapest controllers of all to find, in my experience.

"THese are the kind with no analog sticks."
pLover wrote:PSone 5" LCD: These are incredibly common and loved, but there are very few left and they're all expensive. They should be kept to a modding minimum.
They are "incredibly common," yet there are "very few left." Those descriptions are mutually exclusive.

My bad. They are common in portable projects, but they're uncommon as the actual screen that clips to the PSone.
pLover wrote:Any Special-Edittion System/Controller/Whatever: Any system that has some sort of special case should not be used in a project of any kind, unless you make sure you replace the mobo. (For example, if the only N64 you can get at the time is a Hey, You! Pikachu! edition N64, then just get another N64 later and put that mobo in the Pikachu shell)
This one's kind of obvious, but at the same time, just because it is a "special edition" or "limited edition" doesn't mean it is valuable, or even rare. Remember, the silver Gamecube was sold as a "limited edition."

Fine, Anything special edition besides the silver GameCube. THere really aren't any special edition items anywhere near as common as that.
pLover wrote:SNES Mini (Alternatives: Original SNES, RetroDuo, Gen X, Other SNES clone systems)
The SNES Mini is the only choice for portablizers who want perfect compatability. The clones are advantageous in size, price, and power draw only. Also, the regular SNES is too large and power-hungry to be portablized very well.

The RetroDuo plays all SNES games without problems. SOME copies of SMRPG don't work, but a lot do. And just because something works doesn't mean it SHOULD be used. Remember, in the alternatives, I'm not saying the pros or cons of each one. The larger SNES works in a portable. It WORKS, and how much power it draws is definitely something to consider when building a portable, but there are more options than just the original SNES>
pLover wrote:Genesis III (Alternatives: Genesis I, Genesis II, Genesis clone systems)
Harder to find, but have nearly perfect compatability and are usually not much more expensive than a clone. Additionally, they have low power draw as well. The Genesis I IS NOT a valid portablizing option under any circumstance.

[/b]"Harder to find" is enough to back me up. This one isn't in the list of things to avoid using, it's in the list of things to TRY to avoid.[/b]
I know. The N64 isn't uncommon yet, but I put it on the list because if things keep going at they rate they are, the N64 won't be that common in a few years. Sure, we've still got a few years to go, but the N64 is definitely the bottom of the worry chain, or whatever the hell we should call it.

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:27 am

Why only ps1 lcds? There aren't a ton of Gamecube zenith screens left any more, either. If you want to keep these systems safe from modding hands, then simply grab one of each and collect them. Not to mention, by the time these systems are gone (and I mean completely run out) there will most likely be a steady supply of clones available.

Everyone born after our generation isn't going to hardly give these consoles a second thought. They will remember the Wii fondly as some of us remember the NES or Atari.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Zeturi wrote:Why only ps1 lcds? There aren't a ton of Gamecube zenith screens left any more, either. If you want to keep these systems safe from modding hands, then simply grab one of each and collect them. Not to mention, by the time these systems are gone (and I mean completely run out) there will most likely be a steady supply of clones available.

Everyone born after our generation isn't going to hardly give these consoles a second thought. They will remember the Wii fondly as some of us remember the NES or Atari.
It's so sad. :cry:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

mako321

Post by mako321 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:59 pm

I was born in 1997 and care more about my snes than a poopy 360. btw, can we pout n64s on that list because their joysticks are UTTER CRAP?

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Nah, I meant kids that are born post-2000.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:32 pm

my first game console was a psp though :lol:

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm considering making an NESp with an NES 2 :)
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:45 pm

This list fails. Eagle nailed a lot of it, but I would like to add that the toploader NES is by no means rare, I believe several million were sold.

Excellent

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:30 am

about the NES2/toploader/nes101 i was googling a bit, but i guess it depends where you live on how rare it is to find them :)

They're only released in North America, and well they do get imported, its hard to find one here in The Netherlands :) (or realy expensive)

Wikipedia links to:
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:4G ... clnk&gl=nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this website claims the information comes from wikipedia :lol: but what i've noticed only 10.000 nes2's where made. trying to find more sources but millions sound a bit much then right? (palmertech, if they are that simple to find, how much do you want for 1 hehe, I want to have one ;))

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:26 am

I lol'd
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:09 am

All of these things were sold by the millions BUT GUYS THERE RARE BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND ONE AT WAL-MART YOU ARE DESTROYING ANCIENT ARTIFACTS!!!!1 :shock:

Digital Playstation controller:
These sold by the truckload. Back when they still carried the stuff, GameStop always had a steady stream of them for $3 each. I still have a few of them. There are a few on the first page when you search eBay for "playstation controller" (which includes everything from the digital controller to the SIXAXIS to MadCatz steering wheels). The only really "rare" Playstation controllers are the original dual analog controllers, which had analog sticks but no force feedback motors.

Gameboy Micro:
These were crap when they were new. Tiny controls, useless screen... It was a money grab to milk the GBA architecture of all its remaining value after the DS was released.

Sega Nomad:
You're forgetting how terrible its screen was. Smeartastic. Barely playable. This thing ate batteries like there's no tomorrow. By replacing the LCD with a modern, LED backlit TFT, you get a much better unit. Even if you take a dead one, gut it, and put completely different hardware inside, nothing of value will be lost.

SNES controller:
Fail.

PSone LCD:
There are still plenty of these on eBay, and there are other 5" screens made for other consoles that use the same guts.

Original Ataris:
Also fail. There are tons and tons of these around, especially the 4-switch models and Juniors. The only exceptions are the original Sunnyvale-built heavy six, and the Sears Video Arcade version of the same. I think those were only sold from '77 to '79. You're talking about the longest-lived console of all time here.

Atari Controllers:
Oh come on. These are so dead simple to rebuild nobody uses the original controllers. And even if they did they're certainly not "rare". (Especially not the joysticks; the ones that sold with the Flashback II are functionally identical and look almost exactly the same.)

Nintendo 64:
Pffft.

Original NES
Also pffft.

NES Controllers
:lol: There's still tons of these around, both first party and third party. The only somewhat hard to come by ones are the "dogbone" controllers they sold very late in the NES's run.

Incredibly Old Gaming Units:
This isn't a question of supply, it's a question of "who would want to? :P