N64 On PC with Capture Card

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Jatz
N64 On PC with Capture Card

Post by Jatz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:34 pm

Hey everyone,
Has anyone ever tried to use a N64 with a capture card?
Im asking because i want to put my N64 in my room but i dont have a tv or space for one.
Ive heard that you can use a capture card, but im wondering if this will work.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB2-0-VHS-DVD-E ... 518dd0a57a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone ever tried it? Whats the quality like?
What are other alternatives/better devices? is there much lag and stuff?
Thanks heaps!
P.S im in Australia so it needs to ship to australia :]

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: N64 On PC with Capture Card

Post by blaze3927 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:46 pm

theere will probably be a delay of about half a second to a secnd playable but annoying
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:17 pm

Ah, i was hoping that since it was an older console that there would be no lag.
Ive sent my friend a message who has used a capture card to record his wii/gamecube and it worked well.
If anyone knows any other ways that would be great as i really want to play it :P

Squidlekins

Post by Squidlekins » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:52 pm

I bought one of these things. There isn't really any lag, because I played Halo 3 on my laptop with it once. unfortunately the sound is somewhere on the level of the original gameboy and I wasn't smart enough to get it to go fullscreen. Also the video quality was not that great.
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:58 pm

I guess i could always just plug some speakers into it.
So you bought this exact one and there was almost no lag?
I guess for that kind of price i wouldnt mind doing a little bit of hard work to make it go full screen or something.

Squidlekins

Post by Squidlekins » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:33 pm

well I want you to get it, figure it out, and then tell me how to do it
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EasyCap-Capture- ... 3356f6e961" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That one works amazingly well for the price. Bibin has one, he can tell you more about it.

Excellent

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:17 am

I ordered one off of Dealextreme which was $10.99 free shipping a few days ago.
Hopefully, it should be here in a week and then i'll make a video or two of it and give a little review :D
I might have a chat to bibin about what programs and stuff to use to record.
Cheers

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 am

My easycap arrived yesterday from deal extreme which im pretty happy about. Under 2 weeks for it to come to my place ;)
I made a quick test video of me playing Pilot Wings on the N64, which i have never really played much of when i used to play N64 heaps, so i decided to play that. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVUOMDJQeg
For some reason, the recording lags at the beginning. It lags when i was playing it to.
When im not recording its fine and theres no lag, but the audio is 1 or 2 seconds off, which is pretty unfortunate.
Overall i'd recommend this to anyone who wants to use their N64 on their pc or another console.
I'll probably try this with my PS2 sometime soon and hope to get the same results, if not better!

Knux the Fox
Steam ID:knuxthefox

Post by Knux the Fox » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 am

I've played my Dreamcast off a cheap TV card that I bought online for $15. The picture isn't that great, but it's fully playable with no noticeable lag. I can't remember what it's called...I think TV Terminator. It's made in Taiwan. The instructions are in Taiwanese, so you just have to know what you're doing. Luckily, the GUI is pretty self explanatory. The RF works best, but it does have a regular video in...and you'll have to mess around to get the sound to work right. It does come with a wire that branches off that can plug into your sound card. It took me a while, but I eventually got sound and everything working properly on my own, and was broadcasting my live Dreamcast stream on Justin.tv

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Jatz wrote:My easycap arrived yesterday from deal extreme which im pretty happy about. Under 2 weeks for it to come to my place ;)
I made a quick test video of me playing Pilot Wings on the N64, which i have never really played much of when i used to play N64 heaps, so i decided to play that. Here is the video:

For some reason, the recording lags at the beginning. It lags when i was playing it to.
When im not recording its fine and theres no lag, but the audio is 1 or 2 seconds off, which is pretty unfortunate.
Overall i'd recommend this to anyone who wants to use their N64 on their pc or another console.
I'll probably try this with my PS2 sometime soon and hope to get the same results, if not better!
Try getting a $3 or so RCA to phono jack adapter, and plug the sound from the console into your computer's microphone port. The lag will be eliminated.

Excellent

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Knux the Fox wrote:I've played my Dreamcast off a cheap TV card that I bought online for $15. The picture isn't that great, but it's fully playable with no noticeable lag. I can't remember what it's called...I think TV Terminator. It's made in Taiwan. The instructions are in Taiwanese, so you just have to know what you're doing. Luckily, the GUI is pretty self explanatory. The RF works best, but it does have a regular video in...and you'll have to mess around to get the sound to work right. It does come with a wire that branches off that can plug into your sound card. It took me a while, but I eventually got sound and everything working properly on my own, and was broadcasting my live Dreamcast stream on Justin.tv
Nice, last night i figured out how to use the easycap instead of my webcam, so my friends would see me playing N64 which i thought was kinda cool.
palmertech wrote:
Jatz wrote:My easycap arrived yesterday from deal extreme which im pretty happy about. Under 2 weeks for it to come to my place ;)

Try getting a $3 or so RCA to phono jack adapter, and plug the sound from the console into your computer's microphone port. The lag will be eliminated.
Thanks for the suggestion! Ill ask my dad to see if he has one lying around, otherwise ill just head over to Jaycar and get one since im probably going to the shops since Assassins Creed 2 is out ><

Jatz

Post by Jatz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Okay so i got a Rca to 3.5mm stereo socket converter yesterday from Dick Smith for $3.98 or something, which i thought was decent. If i plug it into my pc i get lag, so i just use my headphones or speakers and theres no lag. Im pretty happy with that.
Also, i uploaded a video of the intro for Super Mario 64 to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdrjigrbhU

Thanks for your help everyone!