Finished nesP in cartridge case !!!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

airz
Portablizer
Re: Finished nesP in cartridge case !!!

Post by airz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Chazy Grizwald wrote:Hey, I actually just joined the site because of this. Frankly it's the most impressive (to me personally) NES hack I've seen.

I'm just really curious about the media player. How would we go about looking into buying it for other mods? I'm also EXTREMELY curious to see a materials / price list. Any light that could be shed on the matter would be very much appreciated!

Keep up the good work airz!

EDIT: I just stumbled upon these two Chinese Media players.
A.) http://tinyurl.com/ykuj5p4 MP4 Game Player FM Radio
B.) http://tinyurl.com/tradestead MP4 Player with 2.8-inch Portable Slide Panel LCD

Would anybody know if either of these are the exact media player used?

i used this media player

it was the only one i could find that was the right width to fit in the cart. i dont have a model number or anything like that due to there just not being one. but if you search on google for "slide pmp" you should find it.

iv gotten a few people asking for a step by step guide but thats just not gonna happen..its actually fairly easy project and anyone that can build other portables could defiantly tackle this project, using common sense.

a part list is as simple as the media player, a cart, and a controller. i used some expoxy, wires from a ide cable, some tape, a few tac switches, i heated up a xakto knife to make the rough cuts (no dremal here), and sanded with sand paper till it was nice.

good luck to anyone that takes it on. iv actually already done some more work on the unit since posting, i replaced the controller board with rubber tac switches, they are just way more responsive, and i minimized the small gap on the right of the start button (it bothered me haha). i still haven't sold it, iv gotton so much resposinse i dont know where to even begin. so im thinking of throwing it up on ebay within the next few days. keep your eyes peeled to this thread, and ill send a pm to everyone thats been interested so far with a link to the auction.

peace out, airz.
Image Image Image

Chazy Grizwald

Post by Chazy Grizwald » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks a ton airz for the feedback! Hope you get more than you'd hope for it on Ebay. I'd buy it but I'm a college student so the most I can hope for it saving up to buy the parts individually overtime.

BTW airz,
Have you tried applying some kind of art fixative spray or protective coating to minimize wear to the cartridge art? Could be a good investment. If anything I'd suggest a fixative spray you'd get at a craft store for spraying artwork such as drawings. Then taking the front of the case off and spraying it (without the screen!!). The reason is these sprays prevent sun damage / yellowing of images / etc which have a change at happening overtime.

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:29 pm

amazing, just amazing, can't wait to try it out myself.

UTVAK315

Post by UTVAK315 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:22 pm

so I have taken on the challenge of creating this after inspiration from airz. the only thing i have concern with is the play time on the original battery. being only a 5v 1000mah it is only rated for maybe 5 hours of playing if your lucky. i was thinking of replacing it with a 5v 2200mah battery meant to replace 1st and 2nd gen ipod batteries. the the goal of hopefully doubling the play time per charge. sounds right...right?

zakyr

Post by zakyr » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:32 pm

hey is this thing for sale?! cause i'd very much want to buy it! :D

Gunk

Post by Gunk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:55 pm

will this fit inside an original gameboy case?

nobble

Post by nobble » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:28 pm

hailrazer wrote:
LOL I took the liberty :

:shock: THOSE CARTS ARE HAVING SEX! SHIELD YOUR EYES!

brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:27 am

nobble wrote:
hailrazer wrote:
LOL I took the liberty :

:shock: THOSE CARTS ARE HAVING SEX! SHIELD YOUR EYES!
:lol: wow Nobble, when I first saw the pic I didn't think much about it but you got me laughing...nice

phanguy

Post by phanguy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Any chance you can explain how you changed the menu images? Also any way you could send me the images you used? I like the way you set it up, it's really nice looking.

airz
Portablizer

Post by airz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 am

phanguy wrote:Any chance you can explain how you changed the menu images? Also any way you could send me the images you used? I like the way you set it up, it's really nice looking.
you change the menu by extracting and modifying the firmware stored on the pmp... most of the information can be found in this thread (http://mympx.org/forum/general-discussi ... neral.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) you'll have to do some digging in that thread for the good stuff though.

and iv uploaded the modded firmware here : http://rapidshare.com/files/312366040/N ... E.rar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (this file can only be downloaded 10 times befoe ill have to re-upload, so dont grab it if you dont think your gonna use it.)

good luck :wink:

also to any one interested im doing a re-haul on this thing, ill fill you in on the details as they progress.
Image Image Image

brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:47 am

What problem did you come across that kept you from selling it?

airz
Portablizer

Post by airz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:35 pm

brandonk318 wrote:What problem did you come across that kept you from selling it?
well the controls are grounded really funny, i can't replicate the bug on the original unit, only when i extended the controls, it happens... so that leads me to thing ether the wires are to long, or the tact's i used are causing some kind of resistance... i dunno. but when you pressed UP + RIGHT + A at the same time it would pause the game. not really a big deal, but can get annoying for some of the high action games... i did some poking around with a multimeter and i have some ideas, im just swamped with crap right now and don't have time to deal with it...
Image Image Image

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:34 am

Very clean and impressive portable there airz
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

phanguy

Post by phanguy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:49 am

another question for you. for the pmp i got (i got the same exact one but maybe there are some differences?) the start button is one of the arrow keys with the other being select on the right side of the pmp. it's the only button that works as start when playing nes games and functions as an arrow key in the regular meny. the four buttons opposite the directional pad a,b,x,ok have two buttons that function as a turbo or repeat buttons during gameplay. based on the pictures it looks like you didn't use the arrow keys for start/select but used both turbo buttons even though then you have no way to press start or select during nes gameplay? did you change the functions of the keys as well? or does yours maybe work differently from mine? thanks and keep up the awesome work.

airz
Portablizer

Post by airz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:58 pm

phanguy wrote:another question for you. for the pmp i got (i got the same exact one but maybe there are some differences?) the start button is one of the arrow keys with the other being select on the right side of the pmp. it's the only button that works as start when playing nes games and functions as an arrow key in the regular meny. the four buttons opposite the directional pad a,b,x,ok have two buttons that function as a turbo or repeat buttons during gameplay. based on the pictures it looks like you didn't use the arrow keys for start/select but used both turbo buttons even though then you have no way to press start or select during nes gameplay? did you change the functions of the keys as well? or does yours maybe work differently from mine? thanks and keep up the awesome work.
your must be different then mine...... the same pmp model is made by like 20 different company's, there are many revisions of the hardware inside them..... they all work slightly different.... there just clones of a clone, of a clone, of a clone...... sorry i can't help.

when you complete your project i would love to see it ! please post it here.
Image Image Image