what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

J.D
Re: what's the dumbest thing a non-hacker has said to you?

Post by J.D » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:20 pm

I was at a Walmart earlier this month. A family asks a salesman about Rockband and Guitar Hero.

Family: So, what is the difference between Rock Band and Guitar Hero?

Salesman: Well, they are both the same game, with repackaged graphics and different soundtracks. It shouldn't matter too much, because you can play Rockband songs on Guitar Hero and vice versa with a UPS device. Also, you can use a Wii disk on the PS3 and Xbox 360, because the Wii is less powerful then both of those systems.

What a dumbass.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 pm

holy crap, I forgot about this topic.
in anycase, time to tell more crap people stories.

So the other day, we got a new cable box, that output component, and for some reason my mom had the cable guy hook everything up for us (DVDplayer, cable box, vcr).

So I come home from school, and by mom starts telling me all these lies that the cable guy told her.

Mom: I didn't know our dvd player could play bluray.
Me:it can't who told you that?
Mom: the cable guy. He said that if the dvd player outputs HDMI that it can play bluray since they are in HD.
Me: no, it can't. If this was a bluray player, then it would have been way more expensive and there would be the bluray symbol on the dvd drive.
Mom: oh. that guy was dumb.

Oh, yeah. Sparkfist brought out a very good point. I have learned to keep my mouth shut about electronics to idiots. They never seem to get it. For instance, the other day I told a friend that I planned to make a psone portable in a few months.

Friend: why not make a ps2p?
Me: becaue it is more difficult, expensive, and besides, I don't have any ps2 games.
Friend: But it can play ps2 games.
Me: I don't care I have none. besides I don't even like the ps2
Friend: Bill, you are retarded.

Here is another one. Awhile back, my computer teacher was getting rid of tons of IDE cable. so he let me have some. This one kid who thinks I am some technical genious god is like "are you going to make a computer out of those?" So I say. "out of wires? you can't make a computer out of wires." So the kid keeps telling me that he thinks I could and it kept getting more and more annoying because this total dumbass thinks I canmakeanything on earth and he won't stop telling me and everybody else about it.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:51 pm

I believe you can make a computer out of wires...

:facepalm:

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:27 pm

he meant that a 16 year old boy would use ONLY wires to make a fully functional computer. Meaning no cpu, capacitors, resistors, software ,or anything of the likes. He expected me to leiterally make a computer solely out of IDE cable.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:52 pm

As a joke you should make a wire frame and wrap ide wire around it. IDE computer, lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Recent comments and reply on my Darth64 Youtube Video.

Random Idiot "How much would you sell me one for?"
Me "$700 but it wouldn't be in a Lazer Doodle Case, I'm tired of those"
Idiot "Why so much the parts cost around $65"
Me "No the parts cost almost $250"
Idiot "Liar , just buy cheaper parts"
Me "Well I use quality parts not cheap stuff"
Idiot "You are a scammer and a thief trying to steal people's money. I can make one for under $65....blah blah and some cursing"
Me "You're now banned from my videos have a nice day"

:roll:

I hate Youtube sometimes LOL
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:22 pm

I hate youtube posts almost all the time. "BUY A PSP!!" And posts on places like engadget from people criticizing but they know nothing about portabilizing.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:22 am

This is not really a hacker to non-hacker conversation, but it was quite a long time ago. I was bike riding with a friend through our neighborhood and some how we got on the conversation of cement trucks. My friend would not believe me when I said he was wrong! He believed if the cement truck's barrel stopped rotating and the cement dried, all they would have to do is get it rotating again and the cement would get wet again. I tried to tell him millions of times....that the barrel is ruined if that happens and they have to replace it....cement drys....cement drys. Keep in mind, that friend did become the biggest douche in the universe, and is certainly not my friend anymore.

By the way Mythbusters proved that even a small bit of explosives could not break up the cement enough to make those barrels usable again. In fact, it requires so much explosives that the truck would literally become nothing but a few bits of scrap metal.

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:42 am

Ok, this was from a random customer that didn't make sense. He bought a n64 ram expansion from the store and brought it back.
the customer: my n64 system works and the ram expansion works but it don't work with my system because it doesn't have the right code for it.
me: Ok, show me the problem.
(plugs up the system with the ram inside and inserted zelda majoras mask)
(Came up just fine with it)
me: What was the problem again?
customer: The code don't match up.
me: What code?
customer: The code on the box of the item. (upc code)
customer: it works but it don't work....
me: well it works in your system, quick question who told you about this code?
customer: I figured it had something to do the with the code under the system( the serial number) :wtf:
Well to make the long story short. The store was full of people who know pretty much everything about the n64.(back up...thank god) And I guessed the customer didn't believe me but one of the other customers told him what i told him to begin with(basically what the ram expansion is for) He left but I was dumbfounded about this guy. I manage 2 stores and still come across the crazies. It gets worse when the sun goes down but thats why I work day shifts. :lol:

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:08 pm

J.D wrote:I was at a Walmart earlier this month. A family asks a salesman about Rockband and Guitar Hero.

Family: So, what is the difference between Rock Band and Guitar Hero?

Salesman: Well, they are both the same game, with repackaged graphics and different soundtracks. It shouldn't matter too much, because you can play Rockband songs on Guitar Hero and vice versa with a UPS device. Also, you can use a Wii disk on the PS3 and Xbox 360, because the Wii is less powerful then both of those systems.

What a dumbass.
I don't expect everyone to know what they are talking about...
but the fact that he says that to customers should be a sackable offense.

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:14 pm

It's not the not knowing that bothers me, it's the fact that they act like they know that bothers me.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:17 pm

themadhacker wrote:he meant that a 16 year old boy would use ONLY wires to make a fully functional computer. Meaning no cpu, capacitors, resistors, software ,or anything of the likes. He expected me to leiterally make a computer solely out of IDE cable.
Yes, I got that originally. I still think you could do it. Madhackers can hack anything. Everyone knows it.

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Let's see...

I TA for one of the teachers I had is 7th grade, and I help her with the dumbest class. They were being taught about ancient Rome, and were shown a picture of a 3D plastic model of Rome. One girl asked "Where's [city I live in]?". No lies.
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Oooh, I have at least two... He;s not really an idiot, he just doesn't know much about computers.

He was talking about his youtube video and told me about some computer program that can record the screen.
Friend: you should download it.
Me: i can't, i don't have windows.
Friend: so?
Me: it's a .exe, right?
Friend: yeah.
Me: i don't have Windows.
Me: .exe only works on Windows.
Friend: REALLY?

And another one, with the same friend....

Me: apparently, Bill Gates won't let his son get an iPod.
Friend: why?
ME: because he owns Microsoft.
Me: Microsoft makes Zunes.
Me: and Apple make iPods.
Me: Microsoft and Apple are rivals.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm

smitty wrote:Oooh, I have at least two... He;s not really an idiot, he just doesn't know much about computers.

He was talking about his youtube video and told me about some computer program that can record the screen.
Friend: you should download it.
Me: i can't, i don't have windows.
Me: it's a .exe, right?
Friend: yeah.
Me: i don't have Windows.
Me: .exe only works on Windows.
I didnt know this either haha