Coming Soon NES-PC Build Log

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

Mario
Re: Coming Soon NES-PC Build Log

Post by Mario » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:
Mario wrote:I have two bi-color LEDs, both red-green and take 2.7v, if you want one from me. Otherwise, you could probably find one on Mouser.com.

Also, before you give up on s-video to composite, try this:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've used it once and it looked almost as good as s-video, and actually better than composite! It says to use a 470pf cap, but I used a .1uf cap and it looked fine.
His diagram and picture look confusing. Is the cap wired to both 3 and 4 and then to the Composite Video? Picture looks iffy from the angle he shot it....thats all, i just want to make sure I got it right. I might keep this male s-video connector if it works out better than Radioshack's overpriced adapter.
Like this:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:23 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:Still have to get home and test that VGA to RCA adapter.
Unless you have the res set at 640*480, I maintain that it will still be blurry.
**NOTED**
As I said before, my mini itx's on board video can not go lower than 800x600 in windows.
I just had an idea. Download Powerstrip and see if you can use it to change the resolution to 640x480. It can do things windows doesn't normally let you do. Worth a shot.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:29 am

Ok, besides tinkering...its already in its production phase, BUT I have to make a few alterations so I can make a snug fit.

I do have my NES ports wired to the Retrozone's custom IC chips that convert them to USB, and with that soldered onto to USB headers to connect directly to the mobo. They work great and the key thing is, I can always change out controllers.
Second, if I study the connections a little bit the SNES controllers work on the same chips, if I re-wire a SNES controller with a NES cord connector then I can have more buttons if need be.

Also trying to work on the video components still........*sigh*
And I'll need additional USB ports for keyboards and mouse...maybe wireless.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:40 am

vskid wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:Still have to get home and test that VGA to RCA adapter.
Unless you have the res set at 640*480, I maintain that it will still be blurry.
**NOTED**
As I said before, my mini itx's on board video can not go lower than 800x600 in windows.
I just had an idea. Download Powerstrip and see if you can use it to change the resolution to 640x480. It can do things windows doesn't normally let you do. Worth a shot.
Yeah, that is only a windows restriction. I think it could be worth a try.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:25 am

I decided to go with a GameEX load, which allows me to change its menu resolution. So no need for powerstrip.

MaLa was tickin me off anyways........advancemenu is for advanced users........dunno any others at the moment.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:49 pm

So this project is coming along nicely, better than I had hoped!

Working on the AV connectors at the moment. Drilling holes with a dremel tool is a pain.....though I found some drill bits to fit my connectors and power cable for the PicoPSU.
Bought a Wireless USB Dual Band N device by Linksys(Cisco).
Finally found a Blue LED that might work in replacement of the original LED in the NES power control section(Work in Progress).
TAKING LOTS of Pictures.....but i'll sort them out in a new post for the official build log.

Right now focusing on mounting the hard drive in the case, mounting the AV connectors in their corresponding spots to the NES case, and I'm trying to work out a solution for USB ports that would allow access of a keyboard and mouse.

*****UPDATE******
My mobo is dead.....
While attempting to get everything in place for a test run I noticed a slight fitting issue with my mobo. So I attempted to trim the edges on the mobo on 2 corners to get it to fit down in place. Well convenient, the one side I really needed to trim had one small trace at the very edge.....i attempted to solder that together with a small wire, but to no avail. Although that soldering I did "worked"(Used my voltmeter) my mobo refuses to respond. *SIGH* I'll just have to go look for a new one.......maybe with a better on board graphics and/or processor....

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 pm

Sucks about your board, you may have even hit an internal trace. I assume you removed and replaced the RAM to try to get it to work again? I got a mini-itx board the other day, and it stopped booting after I removed it from the case. I took out the RAM and put it back in, bam, it booted.
If you want a cheap replacement, I would suggest using one of these. I got one the other day (the board I mentioned), it does pretty good. Handles standard def media and even emulates N64 almost perfectly (mainly the games that usually emulate well, SM64 is almost always at 100%). Even has composite out, so you won't have to mess with any converters. The board in mine is a Migrus C787, the others look like they are the same, just different revisions. I like it so much, if I had the money, I would buy one of the lots of 10 that the seller has.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:07 am

Ya, I tried several solutions. Removing the RAM......removing the CMOS battery....even the PicoPSU i'm using. Basically, when I re-wire the one trace I can see (if there is an internal) it won't respond at all, but if I remove the wire it will kick on the drives and fans I have hooked up to the PSU. Even though the drives would kick on, the CPU fan would not run, and there is no video output, either the VGA nor S-Video.

No worries though......I thought it would be easy to go back to Fry's, where I bought it, and get a replacement.....but they discontinued it.....figures......luckily Ebay had some exactly the same and pretty much the same price i paid for it (Shipping = Price = Fry's Price). This way I don't have to reload drivers for the mobo on the hard drive. Bleh, and so far I don't hate the S-Video conversion anymore, and it was simple to wire. In fact my NES unit is pretty modular, so in essence I can throw any mini itx board in there and get it to work.

I'm going to have to get it in there this time without trimming edges.......I will never do that again on any motherboard...ROFL.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:19 am

Yeah, never try to trim a PC motherboard. The traces are tiny, timing-sensitive and there are lots of hidden layers and even buried vias!