save my desktop

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

donutprince
save my desktop

Post by donutprince » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:07 pm

well i went into the back of my closet found my old desktop a windows 92 2nd edition
i put it toghther and once i got the internet on it, its been sayinga TROJAN VIRUS TROJAN VIRUS
i don't know what to do D: the only anti virus i have on it is (something something)search and destroy
i also kinda want to maybe restart it over again becuase my mom needs a computer
or is it possible to mod?

rikitheshadow

Re: save my desktop

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:52 pm

donutprince wrote:well i went into the back of my closet found my old desktop a windows 92 2nd edition
i put it toghther and once i got the internet on it, its been sayinga TROJAN VIRUS TROJAN VIRUS
i don't know what to do D: the only anti virus i have on it is (something something)search and destroy
i also kinda want to maybe restart it over again becuase my mom needs a computer
or is it possible to mod?

Just restart it, clear the hard drive or buy a new one. You'd be better off with finding a smaller cheaper board that is ready to run and load windows XP on it, I mean if you want a simple computer for your mother. Maybe something to just browse the internet with or do some small time applications.

Older Windows builds are very susceptible to virus's you can get from the internet because Microsoft doesn't really provide updates and support for older OS's. Microsoft's update pages say they only support these older systems, XP, Server 2003, 2000.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:12 pm

What are the specs of the computer? If its at least a PIII, it'll be fine for email and internet. Anything slower will probably bog down doing the simplest of tasks (at least with modern software).

donutprince

Post by donutprince » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:43 pm

could i just use one of those hard drive erasers off the internet and use my sisters windows vista cd &code

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:47 pm

You don't need to erase the hard drive, just format it during the Windows install. How old is the computer? If its more than ~6 years old, it'll probably run Vista like crap.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Spybot: Search and Destroy isn't anti-virus, it's anti-spyware. Get AVG anti-virus free edition from http://www.avg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Windows 95 OSR 2 computer is not going to be able to run Vista most likely.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:26 pm

if there's important information on there: safe mode, uninstall all irrelevant programs. install AV and get the virus, or at the very least get the computer to a point you can transfer your data.

if there's not important information on there: format it. reinstall whatever.

smitty

Post by smitty » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 pm

vskid wrote:You don't need to erase the hard drive, just format it during the Windows install. How old is the computer? If its more than 2 years old, it'll probably run Vista like crap.
Fixed. If it's more than 6 years old, it's not going to run Vista at all, unless it was a 1000 dollar computer at the time.

And for donutprince: just reinstall Windows, you should be fine. Not sure what version of Windows you have, you said 92, which doesn't exist.... Maybe Windows 3 or something? 95? But don't even think about installing Vista.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm

kamrienlorrry wrote:Hi, I am having problems with my Mum's Athlon 2800+ Computer system. It is failing to boot however, the processor fan, floppy drive and cd all power up. But no life with the screen. Is says no input detected. I know the screen works and i have tried several different graphics cards, all while the system in on minimal config i.e. cpu, hdd, vga, no other expansion cards.

I am almost sure it is a hardware issue, have left CMOS Bat out for while and reset CMOS. Would like to know if I could try flashing the bios.
If you're getting no display with multiple video cards, the motherboard is likely fried. If you're electronically inclined, take a look at the caps to see if any are leaking or swollen. Caps are the most likely problem with a system of that vintage.

A bios flash would only help if there was mis-flash of the bios that killed it. With it just dieing, I doubt that could be it.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:09 am

you could always clear out the components, head over to newegg and start a whole new pc project. im sure some board will fit in that thing ^_^

@kamrienlorrry:
Sounds like a mobo or proc issue there...