Do we have room for another N64P? (t64 WIP)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Mario
Re: Do we have room for another N64P? (t64 WIP)

Post by Mario » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Any advancements on this, kibble? I'm suffering update withdrawals! :P

BENFTW

Post by BENFTW » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Mario wrote:Any advancements on this, kibble? I'm suffering update withdrawals! :P
Ahhhh.. Can't move.. So bored.. Must have.. More Kibble.. blehhh (dead)

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Well, I hate to be the one to disappoint but, I have decided to give up on this project, it's not worth the hassle it's been giving me. I know lots of you will be saddened by the news, however, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I'm not really giving up and I was just kidding.

I do have some updates though. First off, I tested the 3.3 to 5V step up that I took out of the transfer pak on my guinea pig 64 and it worked just fine. Second, I started to try to prepare the stuff and vias for the AVDC chip on the t64 board only to have pads start coming off... :wtf: and the holes are horribly misaligned so trying to connect top and bottom traces would be a real PITA. I really don't think there's any issues with the way the traces are on the board layout though so I really doubt I'll have to revise those in any way, they're pretty much straight forward; inputs from RCP---Video and audio out.

I have decided that what I'm gonna do is more testing with the rumble and memory first and get that all working properly, revise the layout for the stuff I need to change and have the board made from that place Marshall suggested. I just don't have the necessary equipment with the precision to make a double sided board accurate enough but, I tried.

I'm going to try to order one of those LCD's from DigiKey along with a few other components soon so I can start experimenting and messing with it.

This project is going to take longer than I had anticipated, partly due to lack of funds and time for it, so thanks to all who've stuck around (and are still gonna stick around, right? :mrgreen: ) to watch its progress!

Oh and before I forget, another thing I'm going to do is eliminate the fan controller circuitry from the board since I've read that a lot of people have had success with just having the chips touch some sort of metal for a heatsink. I guess I had the impression that they got hotter than they really do because of the size of the heatsink. I guess Ninty was just being on the safe side.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:05 pm

kibble wrote:Well, I hate to be the one to disappoint but, I have decided to give up on this project, it's not worth the hassle it's been giving me. I know lots of you will be saddened by the news, however, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I'm not really giving up and I was just kidding.
Intense level of douchebaggary. :P Keep up the work, and good luck.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:05 pm

kibble wrote:Well, I hate to be the one to disappoint but, I have decided to give up on this project, it's not worth the hassle it's been giving me. I know lots of you will be saddened by the news
I hate you.
kibble wrote:you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I'm not really giving up and I was just kidding.
Oh. :mrgreen:

BENFTW

Post by BENFTW » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 pm

kibble wrote:Well, I hate to be the one to disappoint but, I have decided to give up on this project, it's not worth the hassle it's been giving me. I know lots of you will be saddened by the news, however, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I'm not really giving up and I was just kidding.
I almost got really really mad there for a second :x :twisted: :mrgreen:

runkillerrabbit

Post by runkillerrabbit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:06 pm

Haha good one I was gunna say all that for nothing!!! O yea I recently got chip quik and it's the best thing in the world!!! Thax

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 pm

I got pissed off when you said you were quitting. This is an awesome project, keep going.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Wtf? Its not even april fools day yet!

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Geez, kibble, you trying to give us heart attacks!? :lol: I'm sorry it's not going so well, but I'm glad you're still working on it. :wink:

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:05 am

you have no idea how many times i read through that :S still not seassured :P pics maybe...? :D:D:D:D:D
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

kibble

Post by kibble » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 pm

LOL!!! Sorry, didn't mean to make any of you die with that. :lol: :lol:

Anywho, I'm *hoping* I might be able to order those parts (LCD etc) sometimes this week, depends on my paycheck, if not, I'll have to wait. One thing I'm slightly worried about is that I can't find the recommended flat cable connectors for that LCD on Digi-Key. I'm gonna need some and I don't really want to solder directly to the flex cables. I'm wondering if there's another type I can use. I'll have to do a little more searching.

I haven't been able to work on anything for the past few days because I've been working every single day since last week. I finally get a day off tomorrow.

Plans I have at the moment are to build an adapter board for the rumble pak IC so I can bread board that along with the FRAM chip and just do some playing around with them to see how I can get them to work together.

I was digging around in one of my circuit board bins and I happened to come across some large boards that I got from a Harris/Fluke building that was closing down some time ago. Most of the boards are large telecom equipment boards that have lots of components on them, relays, CPLD's, FPGA's, DC-DC converters, and some other really interesting stuff like text-to-speech chips. I happened to find a Xilinx XC9536 CPLD on one of the boards, which is the one that guy used for the N64 RGB mod for consoles without RGB out. I'm thinking that maybe I can remove it from the board and try to reprogram it so I can play around with the digital video portion of the project once I get that LCD ordered.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:17 am

hmm if money is needed then im happy (and im sure a few ther people are too :p) to pay a down payment on the t64 board :D
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

kibble

Post by kibble » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 am

Ha ha, thanks for the kindness but, I wouldn't want to take money from people (unless they were donations) as down payment only because I don't know when and if any of this will come to fruition and I wouldn't want to have people feel ripped off. I really hope to have something to show again within the next few months. The main reason I'm in a stupid money crunch is cause I screwed up and made several online payments with one of my bank accounts that didn't have much money in it by accident when I meant to use a different account and it went into overdraft so the bank ripped me a new one (and forced me to like it) with overdraft fees :evil: :shock: . I managed to pull out of it though, now I'm just trying to get all level again. :|

I went to my local electronics store yesterday looking for either a 44 pin PLCC socket or a prototyping adapter so I could use it for that CPLD.... they didn't have any bare sockets and the prototyping adapter was $33.... :shock: I said screw it, I'll make my own! They seem to have a lot of new old stock that has probably been there for years with ancient prices that people wouldn't pay for now days.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:38 pm

I remember when grand & toy was still open, they had a 512 meg drive that was like 50 bucks!(at the time when a 4 gig cost that much) it was sad, and it was covered in dust.