PC in a Dreamcast Shell (Tried to Search)

Talk about your favorite PC games, Steam and building awesome custom rigs!

Moderator:Moderators

Vanbierk
PC in a Dreamcast Shell (Tried to Search)

Post by Vanbierk » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in a different section of the forum. But my goal is to put my Mini-ITX computer inside of the Dreamcast Console case. I don't need it to play Dreamcast games well, though it can handle the latest emulators as well as the next computer.
What I want is to have a DvD Rom load in the same spot as the Dreamcast's drive. Anyone know if I can just take a slim laptop drive...take off the top part of the shell, fit it to the dreamcast with some fitup, and then rig it to have the drive only active when the top is closed?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: PC in a Dreamcast Shell (Tried to Search)

Post by vskid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:10 pm

Vanbierk wrote:What I want is to have a DvD Rom load in the same spot as the Dreamcast's drive. Anyone know if I can just take a slim laptop drive...take off the top part of the shell, fit it to the dreamcast with some fitup, and then rig it to have the drive only active when the top is closed?
That is completely possible. I was going to build a computer into a Gamecube, and that's what I planned to do. I even have a laptop drive taken apart (I have another small motherboard coming tomorrow and I may use the top loading design for it, I'll tell you how it goes). I'm just not sure how the Mini-ITX will fit in the DC case, the heatsinks may be too tall. That will probably limit the amount of computing power you'll be able to have.

Vanbierk

Post by Vanbierk » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:37 pm

vskid wrote: I'm just not sure how the Mini-ITX will fit in the DC case, the heatsinks may be too tall. That will probably limit the amount of computing power you'll be able to have.

I actually thought of that too, but this Zotac board I got is ATOM/ION, and it has a wide heatsync, but it's actually shorter than the height of the I/O plate, so it just might work....Or at least i'm hoping it will...Heat is really the only thing i'm worried about at this point, that and breaking the dreamcast case I ordered, lol

FadedDelta

Post by FadedDelta » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:47 pm

old stuff

http://kotaku.com/5098975/oh-yes-a-drea ... th-blu+ray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like i said... I'm a pimp and pimps dont commit suicide.

Knux the Fox
Steam ID:knuxthefox

Post by Knux the Fox » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:35 am

Vanbierk wrote:I don't need it to play Dreamcast games well, though it can handle the latest emulators as well as the next computer.
You should definitely give nullDC a shot. I think a cool feature to have in your DCPC (Dreamcast PC) would be to still use all 4 controller ports using USB adapters, which can be found in a variety of game component stores online, so you can still use regular Dreamcast controllers on your PC. One thing IS for certain; Windows-based emulators are way ahead of emulators on the Dreamcast. Anyways back to nullDC... I'm not sure the specs of the computer you're dropping into the DC shell, but my PC is kinda old, and it runs nullDC just fine.