One handed controller for disabled son

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bothebu
One handed controller for disabled son

Post by bothebu » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Hello all, Someone gave me a N64 recently and we hooked it up. My son is 5.5 years old and loves Mario. Unfortunately he cannot play as has no use of his right hand (stroke in the uterus). His twin sister plays and he stands at the TV and directs her. I have searched on the internet and found "disability controllers" but they appear to be for the newer game systems. Is there anything available for the N64? Maybe a foot pedal to use the buttons? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!

mako321

Re: One handed controller for disabled son

Post by mako321 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:28 pm

maybe you should ask ben. He just made a 1 handed 360 controller, and he did rewire a n64 controller straight from the ic on his n64p.
http://benheck.com/09-22-2009/new-singl ... ntroller-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:32 pm

It's not that difficult a mod, you could probably do it yourself! If not there are plenty of people here that would be willing to do it. Of course it won't be free but you'd be surprised how cheap some of us work!

mako321

Post by mako321 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:34 pm

if you can't some of us can :D

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:36 pm

not sure if this would fit your sons arm / hand, but its a glove controller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-Reality- ... 286.c0.m14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never tried it, but you could give it a shot. Not sure what the price range is for one, but if that one gets too pricey, I know of a reliable source that you can get one for $18 from. Not going to make it public right now though, because its where I get my $30 ps1 screens :)
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

smitty

Post by smitty » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:14 pm

not sure if this would fit your sons arm / hand, but its a glove controller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-Reality-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 286.c0.m14

I've never tried it, but you could give it a shot. Not sure what the price range is for one, but if that one gets too pricey, I know of a reliable source that you can get one for $18 from. Not going to make it public right now though, because its where I get my $30 ps1 screens :)
That glove looks like its made for the right hand.Nevermind, I think that's the hinge. (the thumb thingy on the side) And I'm not sure how usable it would be during a regular game. Also, you can get a PS1 screen for only $40 on ebay...
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Oh, I figured it would somehow be universal for left and right handers.

...And what do you care if I don't post the site? I'll be saving myself $10 every time I buy a ps1 screen, and if they want to know the site I'll send it to them...
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

bothebu

Post by bothebu » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Ummmm.....i am not someone who can do this. If it involves wood and a hammer...yes! Soldering and little electronic parts...ummm no. At this point a controller that would allow him to play mario would be great. So, how is that best done? He needs to use his left hand. I would be willing to pay for a modified controller. Anything that lets him play would be great. His sister is only so into video games and does not want to play that much. A controller that has a foot pedal(s) or a buttons that are easy to press with the left hand while steering. or maybe a combo of both so that he can experiment what works best. Thank you!

kibble

Post by kibble » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:40 pm

I think a cross between something operated by foot and something like the nunchuck for a Wii might be an idea, that way he could control, say, Mario with the control stick and use one foot for A and another for B. The "C" buttons would require some creativity but there's already two other buttons on the nunchuck that could substitute for Z and maybe R. Heck, there's enough space on the nunchuck where some other push buttons could be added on.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Hmmm, I was thinking of something a little different. A standard thumbstick for the left thumb. Then, A, B and maybe Z and R buttons pressed by the fingers. Finally, a d-pad on the bottom that can be pressed against the knee and used as the d-pad or C buttons. There's many approaches to this, mine is only one of many.

EDIT: Quick diagram, here's what I mean.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Why not put the analog stick on the bottom and put the a, b, and c buttons on top. And put the rest of the buttons on the back.

A while back there was a member that made a one handed n64 contorller. I can seem to find that thread :(

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:44 pm

I think it would be best to have a Wii nunchuck with the joystick, R, and Z for the left hand to use. Have the C buttons controlled by an arcade stick that would be moved with a foot. The start, A, and B buttons will be foot controlled, maybe with arcade buttons.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:32 pm

How about this? Forgot that it was left-handed. Just flip the L button to the other side. You might also be able to put the R-button there too.

\

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

I like kylechu's idea. But some games need the d-pad, too. Also, is the C supposed to be a C-stick, like the GC? When I first saw it I thought you only included one C button. :lol:
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Yeah, forgot to mention it's a c stick. :P

Maybe there could be a switch to change the analog stick to a d-pad?
\