WiiCube Worklog (Now have screen with pic)

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire
WiiCube Worklog (Now have screen with pic)

Post by hackmodford » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:35 pm

1...2...3...Beep

Okay this is my worklog for the wiicube. I'm aiming for a handheld gamecube which happens to also play a few select wii games :wink:

this is the concept art.

I tried to keep the wiis cut corner theme going while adding a few of my own touches. Not sure if this is going to be the correct size in comparison to say... the psone screen.

Here's what I've done to my wii so far.

I've bent one side of the heatsink down and stopped with the other side since the memcard port is temporarily in the way. I plan on removing it and permanently mounting 1/2 memory cards. I also plan on removing the 4 gamecube ports and keeping only one.
If you want multiplayer play wii games.

Of course the power A/V ports come off as usual. I need to leave the SD slot in for homebrew (i.e. launching gamecube games with only gamecube controller)

Do you think it's worth it to slightly move the bluetooth/wifi modules? Or should I leave them?
Last edited by hackmodford on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

64M320N3

Re: WiiCube Worklog

Post by 64M320N3 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:13 pm

It's BACK!!!!!!!
:D
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Updates!!!

Here's what I've done to the wii board...

I removed the 4 controller ports, the memcard ports, and the usb ports. The A/V power ports are soon to go. I left them on for testing purposes...

I flattened the other side of the of the heatsink. It seems a little bent and some of the screw post on it are broke. I'm hoping just kinda screwing it and hotglueing it down will be enough.

Praise the Lord! The thing still works :mrgreen:

I'm thinking of aproaching the case a little different... I'm thinking making it similar to Ben's wii laptop but with the gamecube controller on the bottom half. What do you think?
Last edited by hackmodford on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:19 pm

I think it would look cool landscape, but without all those wii-cut-off-corner-things you did.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:23 pm

I think it looks cool with your original design. Kind of a blend of GC and Wii features. Nice project, I like it.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Thankyou :mrgreen:

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Ooooooooooooooohhh. Aaaaaaaaaaahh. I'm still confused about the name, it's actually a Wii right, just a built-in gamecube controller? What homebrew do you need to play games without a wiimote? Bootmii?
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:54 pm

smitty wrote:What homebrew do you need to play games without a wiimote? Bootmii?
And Gecko OS.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

smitty

Post by smitty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:24 pm

or ocarina(pretty much homebrew AR), but i actually dont use that very much. so i guess i`ll download gecko, and bootmii, as soon as my homebrew browser starts working again... lots of my homebrews support GC controller, including emulators! yayyyyy, emulators! a portable wii can be pretty much a portable NES, SNES, N64, GC, and wii! :D :D :D (yes, i know i dont need gecko for homebrew, but i have gc games too)
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:55 am

I'm back! Nintendo's E3 made me want to work on this again...

Anyways I'm thinking of using a 7" widescreen... here's the cheapest one I found. Do you think it's junk?
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?Dep ... 88616988-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:54 pm

hackmodford wrote:I'm back! Nintendo's E3 made me want to work on this again...

Anyways I'm thinking of using a 7" widescreen... here's the cheapest one I found. Do you think it's junk?
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?Dep ... 88616988-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm pretty sure that I've seen this screen with a different branding printed on in a store, and it looked on par with the portable DVD players next to it. All the reviews say the screen looks good, just that the tuner doesn't pick up broadcasts well.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm

And who cares about the tuner right? :lol:

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:26 am

Well... were I work there's been this 7" widescreen LCD just lying around doing nothing. So I asked my boss if he wants to sell it and he tells me to have it! God Bless his heart :D
So now I'm trying to decide if I want to include the gamecube controls still or just use this as a wii laptop?

Edit: does anybody know of a way to force the gamecube games to be 4:3 maybe with some kind of physical video filter that would put black bars on either side of the picture?

Edit: So I open it up real quick and the stupid Chinese people put epoxy on the thin screen cable... so I can't seperate the screen from the board ... (gonna have to be real careful not to crack the cable)

But yeah... 12V can pull the radio reciever thing right off... Probably could LED mod it too...

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:26 pm

hackmodford wrote:Edit: does anybody know of a way to force the gamecube games to be 4:3 maybe with some kind of physical video filter that would put black bars on either side of the picture?
The screen stretching out the 4:3 signal is not easy to compensate for externally. You'd have to capture and buffer an entire frame, reduce the resolution of the center portion, add the black bars on either side, and then convert it back to analog to output it.

Double check that there's no menu option for stretching 4:3. Failing that, you might try looking up datasheets on the chips inside the screen, seeing if there's a way to change the scaling settings on the chip itself(a lot of functionality is determined by pulling certain pins high/low).

hackmodford

Re: WiiCube Worklog (Now have screen with pic)

Post by hackmodford » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I was just hoping that there'd be a nice easy thing with video in and video out. Just plug in the video source and out comes 16:9 video except it's taking the 4:3 and adding the bars on the side. So the screen thinks it's 16:9 (AND IT IS) but it's just adding the filler so that the screen doesn't automatically stretch it...