Project 1 - Combitron *WARNING - 56k users - large pictures*

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow

Re: Project 1 - Combitron *WARNING - 56k users - large pictures*

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:05 am

Would the SMART pin be used to cut the power off between the power supply and main mobo, such as with a typical PC?

please don't peck at my question/statement, i'm not electronics genius.....
I know a lot of handheld devices with removable batteries have been know to put flash chips in with their smart charger control chips within the battery. For example a PSP, specialized lockout chip that controls how the firmware loads and/or to access specialized firmware menus.

I also have a JVC camcorder that uses a smart battery, third party batteries have to bypass it by adding a cord to its power adapter jack or the camera refuses to start up.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:35 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:Would the SMART pin be used to cut the power off between the power supply and main mobo, such as with a typical PC?

I know a lot of handheld devices with removable batteries have been know to put flash chips in with their smart charger control chips within the battery. For example a PSP, specialized lockout chip that controls how the firmware loads and/or to access specialized firmware menus.

I also have a JVC camcorder that uses a smart battery, third party batteries have to bypass it by adding a cord to its power adapter jack or the camera refuses to start up.
I doubt it... -10V for lockout logic seems excessive... but I won't know for sure until I try to power it with another supply.

-Jason

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 am

I know it's been awhile... (a week?)... but I wanted to post letting ya'll know I haven't forgotten about this project.

I'm currently waiting for my PSOne screen to arrive so I can continue with this project. I bought it from ebay on the 13th... and... needless to say... I'm getting rather impatient.

@daftmike: if you read this, please contact me. I need some help with LEDs.

Thanks

-Jason

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 pm

I just came across this project. It looks like it has some great potential - looking forward to more!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 am

Life of Brian wrote:I just came across this project. It looks like it has some great potential - looking forward to more!
Thanks Brian!

You are one of the main reasons I decided to join the 'modding scene'. I watched a few of your vids on youtube showing a modded NES/SNES system(s). I remembered that I had an NES from the old TV I picked up awhile back... and decided to see if I could succeed in modding this thing.

Anyway... good news everybody!

My PSOne screen has finally arrived.

I should be doing more work on this mod shortly.

-Jason

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Jason wrote:
Life of Brian wrote:I just came across this project. It looks like it has some great potential - looking forward to more!
Thanks Brian!

You are one of the main reasons I decided to join the 'modding scene'. I watched a few of your vids on youtube showing a modded NES/SNES system(s). I remembered that I had an NES from the old TV I picked up awhile back... and decided to see if I could succeed in modding this thing.
-Jason
read: "you are the wind beneath my wings"

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:50 am

Jason wrote:My PSOne screen has finally arrived.
Isn't it a great feeling when your "toys" come in the mail? And you can't wait to rip them apart? :P
MasterPrime wrote:read: "you are the wind beneath my wings"
:lol: I laughed at that
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Nice project! Loving the creative use of parts. About the power supply, just get out the voltmeter and test the lines with it running. Sounds dangerous I know, but that is the best way.

Also, don't put the speaker on the outside. With a young kid around, it will get destroyed. Trust me, I'm 14 and still love playing with speakers.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Jason wrote:
rikitheshadow wrote:Would the SMART pin be used to cut the power off between the power supply and main mobo, such as with a typical PC?
I doubt it... -10V for lockout logic seems excessive... but I won't know for sure until I try to power it with another supply.
-Jason
Re-reading and re-checking made me realize I was looking at the wrong PCB when I quoted -10V... the SMART pin on the powerboard of the digital converter box is actually ~1.6V and it comes from the digital converter PCB... NOT the power PCB.

Strictly speaking... the SMART pin does not appear to be necessary at all.
MasterPrime wrote:
Jason wrote:
Thanks Brian!
-Jason
read: "you are the wind beneath my wings"
Smartarse.
Life of Brian wrote:
Jason wrote:My PSOne screen has finally arrived.
Isn't it a great feeling when your "toys" come in the mail? And you can't wait to rip them apart? :P
Always... I remember taking apart my WRT160N router the minute after the delivery guy brought it to my door (literally!).
Life of Brian wrote:
MasterPrime wrote:read: "you are the wind beneath my wings"
:lol: I laughed at that
Heh. Smartarses.. the both of ye!
XCVG wrote:Nice project! Loving the creative use of parts. About the power supply, just get out the voltmeter and test the lines with it running. Sounds dangerous I know, but that is the best way.
Meh... no more dangerous than the crap I do everyday.
XCVG wrote:Also, don't put the speaker on the outside. With a young kid around, it will get destroyed. Trust me, I'm 14 and still love playing with speakers.
Eh... too late. I'm not concerned about them anyway... they're very sturdy.

Anyway... the power board's output voltages are exactly what they say on the PCB... 5.4V, 3.2V and 2x 2.4V... which is going to be a royal pain.

Alright ya'll... I have a power supply that will provide 1x 12V, 2x 5V, and 1x -10V.

I need a minimum of 10V for the LCD, 5V for the NES itself, and 5.4V, 3.2V and 2x 2.4V for the digital converter box... not to mention the need to charge a lithium-ion battery pack.

Any idea how I can do this from the single power supply I mentioned above?

Jason

kidw/32+systems

Post by kidw/32+systems » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:45 pm

I need that NES board. :cry:
PlayChoice games 50/54 37 toppers

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:47 pm

kidw/32+systems wrote:I need that NES board. :cry:
WOAHWOAHWAHWOAHWOAHWOAHWOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
youre back?!???? :mrgreen:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:54 am

wait, whozzizzat?

kidw/32+systems

Post by kidw/32+systems » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:41 pm

mako321 wrote:wait, whozzizzat?
Same here

Well the PM I sent Jason is gone out of my inbox so I guess he deleted it and did not reply.
PlayChoice games 50/54 37 toppers

acfrazier

Post by acfrazier » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Jason wrote:What do you mean by 'power pack'?
I think he means the PowerPak NES Flash Cart.

A little pricey at $135, but I plan on getting one for myself since I think it's well worth it.

You can buy them off RetroZone http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=34 although it looks like they're sold out at the moment.