PEAK Backup Camera 7 inch Screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
PEAK Backup Camera 7 inch Screen

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm putting this new screen i picked up to the test. Not sure if its entirely hackable, may need assist.
Its a 7 inch screen put out by PEAK(anti freeze and car stuffs) designed to recieve signals from a wireless camera you can attach to your license plate for when you backup. Granted it has more than one use, it can accept composite video, also has audio, though for right now its only mono. I do see that the amp circuit is wired to have a R audio output, but i'm not sure if the AV port feeds stereo input to the amp circuit.

Its input voltage is 12v DC, intentionally designed for a car's cigarette lighter, luckily i had a portable DVD player AC/DC wall socket converter that operates on the same voltage(DVD player is designed to operate on a Car's cig lighter as well). Now i could test it with a console........not in the car.

I'll have pics in the next post....do mind that my camera sucks at focusing real close on the mobo's circuitry.

I was just testing to see if this would be a cheap advantage on 7inch widescreen LCDs, seeing as the whole package with camera and all was $86 with tax, and it could go down later on at my work because they no longer stock them despite us having like 20+ on hand.
Last edited by rikitheshadow on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rikitheshadow

Re: PEAK Backup Camera 7 inch Screen

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Here is a pic of the screen itself.

few pics of it in action while connected to a genesis 3 with Sonic 2

Noticed its not entirely fit to screen, maybe resolution or because its like widescreen? No controls for screen adjust location

Here is a overall pics of the mobo

This is where the audio amp circuit is held up, and the inputs for power and video

This is a large percentage of where the LCD driver circuitry and i assume step ups for the CCF tube

In some of the pics u see a large rectangular metal shielded object on the mobo, this is the wireless reciever for the camera, pretty sure it can be removed and the LCD still be usable.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:11 pm

What's the overal dimensions of the board. And how thick is it with the screen/board ?

And how low (volts) can it go :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Hrm not sure on the thickness of the screen and mobo alone, haven't tried removing the screen yet, they got it pretty tight in there.

Thickness with the plastic shell is approximately 1 inch. The screen's driver board is no bigger than the screen itself, just offset in the case because some rear mounted tact switches for controls.

Ummmm, i'm still a newb at most electronic stuffs, what would be a safe voltage range and/or amps for this, although i'm trying to go lower? I don't wanna damage it, i mean if its not a good hackable i wanna be able to return it maybe. Ya guess i would also have to rig up a power adapter to fit it.....

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:
Ummmm, i'm still a newb at most electronic stuffs, what would be a safe voltage range and/or amps for this, although i'm trying to go lower? I don't wanna damage it, i mean if its not a good hackable i wanna be able to return it maybe. Ya guess i would also have to rig up a power adapter to fit it.....
You can go as low as possible, it won't hurt anything. It will either come on or not. But try 9v and then 7.2v and see if those work.

You will need to use power adapters that have around 800-1000mA in order to power everything.

And make sure you use the same polarity. If it's center positive on the power adapter , make sure it stays that way. The adapter marks polarity like this - --------(0------ + That's center positive. - -------0)------- + That's center negative
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:38 pm

How much did this cost?

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 pm

snowpenguin wrote:How much did this cost?

$86* edited in first post

I'm off to Radioshack to find a AC/DC adapter with variable voltage, you know the type with multi adaptable ports.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:59 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:
snowpenguin wrote:How much did this cost?

$86* edited in first post

I'm off to Radioshack to find a AC/DC adapter with variable voltage, you know the type with multi adaptable ports.
Make sure you get one with high amps. A 350mA or 500mA won't do it.
My Portable Systems:

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Well radioshack was a bust, they didn't have much variable voltages with 800-1000 mA seriously. I found one with 9v and 800mA but i couldn't find a tip that would fit, so i returned it. Did find a AV cable coupler so i don't have to use a switch in most situations like this.

I dug up some of my project stuffs and a portable DVD rechargeable battery i had bought from radioshack some time ago suprisingly had a tip that would fit it. It even powered on, with 9v to be exact, despite the battery needing to be charged soon. (Figures anyway, its lithium ion, voltage doesn't drop in low charges)

So its officially been tested at 9v, later i'll see if i can test lower.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Cool thanks. :mrgreen:
My Portable Systems:

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:32 am

New info on the screen btw.

I finally decided to take the actual LCD component apart, and to my surprise the backlight is a surface mounted LED array!!!

This screen is promising, I may buy more for portables considering it requires less hacking in regards to the backlight and CCF tube's mAH consumption.

Lovely 7 inches too..... <3

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:10 pm

At that price it's a great find.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:35 pm

FYI these are on Ebay for $78-85 shipped brand new.
My Portable Systems:

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Shipping i guess would equal out the same as I can buy it in store. Plus, i know my work well, and the price could drop....if it isnt below margin already.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:Shipping i guess would equal out the same as I can buy it in store. Plus, i know my work well, and the price could drop....if it isnt below margin already.
Notice I said $78-$85 SHIPPED.
That is unless you are outside of the United States.
My Portable Systems: