Not as bad as what happened to vomitsaw... But it sucks.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

HBN
Not as bad as what happened to vomitsaw... But it sucks.

Post by HBN » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:50 pm

I didn't exactly cheat death. Nor will I have any reason to paint the Kool-Aid man on my house. Life is of the suckage, though.

For full details:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INz_0qTVlps

Cost for repairs? $15,000 and raising what seems like daily. Honestly, the last number I heard was $18,000, but I don't know how solid that was.

Quick note: If you've not heard my voice, and want to...I speak twice in that video. Once when I was tired, and once when I wasn't (as tired).

I gotta take off and do some work trying to sort out this blasted mess... Including, but not limited to cutting the wall up from the floor about two feet. *epicsigh* Wish me luck.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

stuntpenguin007

Re: Not as bad as what happened to vomitsaw... But it sucks.

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:46 pm

That's one expensive pleco :shock:

I hope insurance covers most of it for you.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

HBN

Post by HBN » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Well, as always, it always sounds better the first time you talk to the insurance company. You know when they say "You're covered!"? Then, as time goes on you find out what exactly they are and are not covering.

I guess our insurance covers everything except furniture damage caused by fish-tank-water....What the bloody hell? If I spilled a glass of water, they would cover it but because it came out of a fish tank they won't? The exact words, as I understand it, are they cover the house completely against anything....But not it's contents. At least not to the same degree.

That's insurance for ya, I guess. The only good thing so far is that we've worked with some pretty awesome people around here. The workers/cleaners/plumbers/contractors are some of the nicest people I've met. Unfortunately, "Nice" wont pay the bills. Neither will female of the dog species-y, either so, I guess I'd rather have nice people and be in debt than be in debt and have pissy people around me.

I may do a few more videos. Like I said in that one, it's just started. In fact, today the contractors tore out the kitchen island, and a fair amount of drywall.

For the next couple days....I'm SO sleeping in.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:53 am

Couldn't you sue the company that made the tank, for having a faulty seal in it that causes problems like this? I think you could.

Also: Who knew that water could cause that much damage! Jeez. D:

qerkdtx

Post by qerkdtx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Thats terrible!

At least the fishy made it

HBN

Post by HBN » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:10 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:Couldn't you sue the company that made the tank, for having a faulty seal in it that causes problems like this? I think you could.

Also: Who knew that water could cause that much damage! Jeez. D:
Wasn't a faulty seal. The glass cracked. When it cracked, the some-700 pounds of water pushed out. Causing the seal to rip. Besides, the seal wasn't factory. It was redone by my dad. It was better than the one that came with it (That leaked when it was new).

We still arent EXACTLY sure why the glass broke. But no, we couldn't sue for it.

As for water damage...It was NINETY gallons (Ninety milk jugs, to help you visualize). Were lucky it did at little as it did.

qerkdtx wrote:Thats terrible!

At least the fishy made it
That's how I look at it. Yeah, this all sucks, but the fish made it. So I'm happy. I was worried he wouldn't. He had a helluva night, heh.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 pm

The Fish: "Man, I know it was a good night because all I can remember is a loud noise, and then the house was flooded and swimming got harder, not sure what else went on, but it had to be great!"
Anyways, yeah, that sucks. Actually visualizing it as 90 milk jugs changes it significantly from just looking at that tank.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:24 am

this just happened to my basement last month! Except it was a broken pipe in my bathroom instead of a fish tank. and it was more like having a faucet on for 10 hours on my basement carpet. Luckily insurance covered most of it. ( we have a $500 deductible) which is really good compared to the entire price. It took 5 weeks to get everything sorted out and the carpet replaced. I just now have my room again and I'm starting to set up my work stations again. The insurance guy just came to check on the insurance claim on all of my damaged books and drum equipment, hopefully we get reimbursed soon.

Good luck. Hope you the best.

I hope your situation clears up soon.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:47 am

Did you talk to a lawyer? Insurance companies will do anything they can to get out of paying. As one of the local law firm ads on tv always say, "Insurance companies have lawyers working hard on their side, and so should you." If you haven't, you really should talk to one. Just talking to one about it doesn't usually cost anything. However if they think you have a case, and they get you the money, of course they'll want a percentage. But, well, that's fair.

HBN

Post by HBN » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:55 am

Not anything to update...Weekends over, so more work later today (Seeing as it's a tad before 3AM as I write this).

As I dont have anything to report, I just figured I'd say I really appreciate the well-wishes and tips. We'll survive. As always, right? Heheh. I'm a tenacious guy. Takes a lot to shoot me down, and even then I get back up after a time.

That said, more work in a few hours. So I need to crash. I'll keep you updated.

Damn, I really wish I could keep you updated on, oh I don't know, a fricken PORTABLE or somethin'... I just haven't had much luck on that, lol.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:Couldn't you sue the company that made the tank, for having a faulty seal in it that causes problems like this? I think you could.
Your constant and immediate thoughts to sue frustrates the hell out of me. You can sue anyone for anything, but that doesn't mean you'll win the case.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:44 pm

In all honesty, I'd keep it quiet that your dad fixed the seal. Even though you made it clear that he improved its original performance, the insurance company could take it as "tampering", and refuse your claim.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

HBN

Post by HBN » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 am

Tibia wrote:In all honesty, I'd keep it quiet that your dad fixed the seal. Even though you made it clear that he improved its original performance, the insurance company could take it as "tampering", and refuse your claim.
Thanks for the tip. Thats what we assumed as well, so they don't know. I was just sharing with you guys.

Skyone wrote:Your constant and immediate thoughts to sue frustrates the hell out of me. You can sue anyone for anything, but that doesn't mean you'll win the case.
You too? I thought it was just me, so I just shut up. Also, just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD. I mean, in this case, the insurance company will cover at least the repairs. Why do we need to rape a company for even more money? Especially when you REALLY think about it, ever dime the company looses comes down on the employee. Theres less and less jobs... I know. I'm looking. I won't contribute to somebody else having to look.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:47 am

Skyone wrote:
Your constant and immediate thoughts to sue frustrates the hell out of me. You can sue anyone for anything, but that doesn't mean you'll win the case.
And us Americans are the ones people think are sue-happy! :P

That sucks, HBN, hope you get it resolved ASAP.

Excellent

desertman123
PSN Username:Desertman123

Post by desertman123 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 pm

I know your pain with the de-humidifiers, my ceiling wet itself (freaking raining inside from the tub handle going crap) and we had to cut up our ceiling and run them for a week... and we still need a new ceiling.
Word to the wise: DON'T THROW ELECTRONICS AWAY!!!