Almost done...

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

PyGuy
Almost done...

Post by PyGuy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:21 pm

I almost have the full skeleton of the PyCast. I have one more question. What do I connect to where to power the PSone screen and make the Disk drive read the disk? The drive is just sitting there. The only thing that the battery and PSU powers is the orange light near the controller ports.

EDIT - I now realize that I need to give the screen 7.5v. How can I do this without an extra battery?

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Re: Almost done...

Post by eurddrue » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Using a 7808 linear voltage regulator should work.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

PyGuy

Post by PyGuy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:55 pm

I found a +8v 7808 voltage regulator. Will that work?

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Sounds good! the + means it's for positive voltage.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:52 pm

Eh...what's your battery rated at? Linear regulators (7xxx series) are horribly inefficient. You be better going with a switching regulator.

PyGuy

Post by PyGuy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:24 am

OK, thanks for the tip. I was combinding the voltages of two 6v batteries until I get a 12v rechargeable battery. A friend of mine said he'd get me a 12v with decent amperage. Until this evening, I will have to live with two 6v batteries.

EDIT - I just decided to get a linear regulator when I was at RadioShack last night and I needed thinner wire for my DCp. I'm obviously not wiring it correctly...the regulator didn't get any warmer than when I bought it! How exactly do I wire this thing to the Dreamcast to battery power the DC and the PSone screen?

Also, I'm having the same problem with the GD-rom drive not reading or spinning the disk, just the orange light near the ports. All I know is that the drive is NOT broken.

Steamdnt
PSN Username:xboxlive_adm

Post by Steamdnt » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Your motherboard might be fried, Mine is :wtf:
- Formerly known as DNT 2.5
A wild Website link has appeared.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:37 am

If you use a 7.4v battery instead of the 12v, no issues with powering the screen, portable also stays cooler. System works too.

The controller board isn't just the LED, and the controller, also something to do with timing from the fan (someone said that somewhere), which is why you need to keep the original fan connected.

I removed the controller board ribbon and the DC didn't boot past the initial DC screen with the bouncing dot; put the ribbon in, booted up again, fine.