White Screen of Death!!!!!!!!!!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Mike & Ike
White Screen of Death!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Mike & Ike » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Hey. Hows everyone doing? Alright I am making my first portable and I chose to make an n64. So I hooked everyting up and it works when it is plugged into the wall but when it is not the screen turns white and the unit can only run for about 3-4 mins. I am using an LED modded psone screen and Panisonc dvd player batteries (Like in the L64) If any one knows anything that might help or wants more info on the problem please post. also I demonstrate the problem in more depth on youtube (just search portable n64, it is by 666angje0) Thanks for reading the thread! :D

Mario

Re: White Screen of Death!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Mario » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Charge the batteries. When the PSOne screen doesn't have enough amps or volts, it turns white.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:16 am

...or the video lines/ground isn't connected properly.

Mike & Ike

Post by Mike & Ike » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Ok I Charged the battries last night and am going to try to get it working today. ( I did the before but why not try it again.) Also, if it does not work I was thinking of removing the battries from the circuit board and hooking every thing up to the battries. But if I did that would the battries just keep on charging until they exploded? thanks for the help guys! :P

Mario

Post by Mario » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:20 am

DO NOT remove any circuits from the batteries. They are there to keep them from overcharging (and exploding). They were put there for a reason.

Mike & Ike

Post by Mike & Ike » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Ok Mario, I won't remove the circuit. I charged the battries and It seems to work (This time I let them chagre past the green light indicator) but now I realize that the charge indicator is not working, Does anyone know how to make a diffrent one that might also double as a power indicator? Also will the screen always turn white when the battries are almost dead? If so, is there a way I can get it to turn off before it dies? thanks guys! And thanks for telling me to charge the battries past green Mario!

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:10 am

yeah, you can use Draftmikes low level battery indicator. I will post link in a second.

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The N64/GBA Remix
Image ............................................................................................................................................. Xbox360 WVI

Mike & Ike

Post by Mike & Ike » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm

I was wrong. I recharged the batteries and I still did not get it fixed, All that happened was I got 15 more minutes of play time. I think something is wrong with my batteries so I bought another of the smae one hooked it up and the same thing happened. I have no Idea what to do now. Maybe a diffrent type of battery? :facepalm:

BTW: Thanks for all the help guys. I made the power Indicator with a Zener diode on the page Designer noob linked to. It was acctually quite simple. Thanks! :D

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:22 pm

What is the voltage and Ah rating of your batteries? You probably shouldn't go around buying new ones, unless you've got the money for that. To check voltage and current, do the following.

Voltage- use a multimeter to check the voltage from the battery.

Current- Use an ammeter in series with the battery to check how many amps your PsOne screen is drawing.

Mike & Ike

Post by Mike & Ike » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 am

Alright I am going to do that, but how many amps does the N64 use? My batteries have a 4200 mAh rating, so am I safe in assuming that for 2 hours of game play the screen and the N64 must draw at most 2100 mAh? Thanks I play on checking the mAh of the screen tomarrow. Thanks everyone!

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:39 pm

I remeber getting a white screen, while doing my portable. I don't think the batteries are the issue.

Other than that I will try to remember how I fixed the problem.

On, the N64 did you add wires to where the N64 on and off switches were to let the N64 screen come on?

You can try the what I said up above, but I think the real problem is where you hook up your power. There are many ways to hook up power to the screen. Hooking up to PS1, PS2, CV1, pin 1, regulator 7805, and another regulator. When I hooked up the power to PS1 or PS2 or CV1 it sometimes didn't work after I did certain things and other times the screen worked. When I hooked it up to the regulator the screen turned white when the N64 wasn't on. It also, turned the screen black when the N64 was correctly hooked up. When I hooked it up to another regulator on the screen it worked fine. You should just try to hook it up to different points on the screen to see if it works.
The N64/GBA Remix
Image ............................................................................................................................................. Xbox360 WVI

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:54 pm

I've gotten white screen three times. Once it was insufficient power, once it was an incorrectly placed ribbon cable, and once it was video not being grounded properly.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts