Two n00b Questions

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

PyGuy
Two n00b Questions

Post by PyGuy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 pm

I have a couple of Dreamcast/PSone Screen questions, as the title says...

I tested the hacked PSone screen with a PS3 with the AV plug that plugs into all Playstation systems. It works fine but why the heck am I getting a kindof green tint with the display?

I am also puzzled about the idea of how to get a display for the Dreamcast...What exactly do you connect to where on the AV OUT pins from the Dreamcast to the PSone screen? I keep seeing pictures of a fully-working portable DC but I only see one wire connected to the Dreamcast's AV OUT.

Answers will make this project a lot more understandable for a n00b like me.

snowpenguin

Re: Two n00b Questions

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Solder a wire from the composite out on the DC to the composite in on the PSone screen, then make sure the grounds of each device are connected. As for the green, sounds like something from RGB to me. Try hooking up with the composite and hope it goes away. If not I can't help you.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:25 pm

The green happens with the playstation 3 only, others have had problems with that too.

As for A/V, you need pins 1 (ground) 2 and 3 (Left and right audio) and pin 13 for composite video. Below is the A/V connector pinout.

Pin Description
1 Ground
2 Right Audio
3 Left Audio
4 +12 VDC
5 +5 VDC
6 31kHz (VGA) select (active low) (Connected to PORT9 on CPU)
7 RGB select (active low) (Connected to PORT8 on CPU)
8 Vertical Sync (for VGA)
9 Horizontal Sync (for VGA)
10 Composite Sync
11 S-video Chrominance (C)
12 S-video Luminance (Y)
13 Composite Video
14 Blue 1)
15 Green 1)
16 Red 1)
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:36 am

hey quicc question, do you need to have the ground from the C-Video/ C-Audio connected to the ground of the power supply to get video and audio? or can you leave the ground un connected and still get input?
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:21 pm

I only had to connect one of the grounds... From pin 1 on the Dreamcast AV out, to pin 8 or pin 4 on the PSone Screen. Hope that helps!
Nothing to see here.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:21 am

sure does!! thanks!! :P :wink:
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer