GB Cart connector to PC

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

Dark-Aries
GB Cart connector to PC

Post by Dark-Aries » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Ok. I want to plug my GB and GBC games into my computer so I can copy the save file. Once a battery dies your save is dead, which sucks for pokemon games. And I see a commercial product that can do that for me, but for 40 pounds....UM no. Not with conversion to cad and not with shipping involved.

Now after googling I think I found it is possible, but understanding in electronics is so limited compared to most people here.

http://www.devrs.com/gb/hardware.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that link specifically. They have schematics for what I believe to be a cartridge reader...but I'm not sure. What EXACTLY would I need and would it work with commercial carts to backup my saves?

stuntpenguin007

Re: GB Cart connector to PC

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Once I got this thing called "the brain" or something along those lines. It was used to save my gbc saves onto and then I could start multiple different files. It was only about $5 and if you wanted to save it to that and then replace your battery and save it back that might work.

Let me see if I can find the product on the internet. I no longer have mine because I gave it to a friend so I couldn't tell you exactly what its called off of the top of my head.

edit: I think this may be it, monster brain aka brain boy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monster-Brain-Cheat ... .m20.l1116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

don't buy it just yet, its been almost 2 years since I last used one and I'm not %100 sure if it backs up saves.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:20 am

I know those things could work, but I'd like to make one myself. I have all the needed tools cept for the breadboard, the cart connector and whatever PICs I'll need. And Brainboys were unreliable. My friend had one, destroyed all his saves. Gave it back to the store and got himself a gameshark.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 am

Try this one:
http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm#GB_Flasher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:08 am

I was looking at that. Does anybody know forsure if it can read all GB games though? I guess I'll just have to see for myself....

edit: NVM read the pdf, AWESOME! I should of clicked that link to begin with... I did, but I never noticed the PDF...

dimefan90

Post by dimefan90 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:25 pm

check out the gb transferrer II

http://kitsch.bigcartel.com/product/transferrer-ii-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://nonelectronics.com/catalog/index ... ucts_id=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:10 am

I looked at that, and it is much cheaper for me to build one then to buy one. Plus shipping prices are so freaking huge to Canada for some reason...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:12 am

What games are you looking to preserve? If you are wanting to backup the pokemon games, you have two easy options:

1. Buy pokemon stadium 2, it does not use a battery for saving your pokemon. Just swap them over, or clone them, then swap. Sure, you may lose your save game, but your pokemon will be safe.

2. Buy an adaptoid, an N64 to USB adapter. The Project64 Adaptoid plugin supports using the GB transfer pack to back up saved games. I know this works with pokemon games, I have not tried others.

Excellent

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm

palmertech wrote:What games are you looking to preserve? If you are wanting to backup the pokemon games, you have two easy options:

1. Buy pokemon stadium 2, it does not use a battery for saving your pokemon. Just swap them over, or clone them, then swap. Sure, you may lose your save game, but your pokemon will be safe.

2. Buy an adaptoid, an N64 to USB adapter. The Project64 Adaptoid plugin supports using the GB transfer pack to back up saved games. I know this works with pokemon games, I have not tried others.
That's actually the only games I want to preserve. PKMN red and Gold...if that works that is a much cheaper option....got any links of a tutorial for this or a YT video?

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:43 pm

You could also send it someone who has a transferer of some kind and let them back it up for you, if you dare. I could possibly do it, but you're probably on the wrong continent compared to me, and it feels unnecessary to ship two artridges over the Atlantic. (I live in Sweden)
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 pm

nitro2k01 wrote:You could also send it someone who has a transferer of some kind and let them back it up for you, if you dare. I could possibly do it, but you're probably on the wrong continent compared to me, and it feels unnecessary to ship two artridges over the Atlantic. (I live in Sweden)
Yup. I think I'd rather use the transferpak method, or make my own reader...the transfer pak method is much cheaper...I wish DX had the adaptiod though...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Dark-Aries wrote:
palmertech wrote:What games are you looking to preserve? If you are wanting to backup the pokemon games, you have two easy options:

That's actually the only games I want to preserve. PKMN red and Gold...if that works that is a much cheaper option....got any links of a tutorial for this or a YT video?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-64-Adaptoi ... 286.c0.m14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an Adaptoid on eBay for pretty darn cheap. If I remember correctly, Pokemon Stadium 2 loads the .sav file from your game, and you can pull it from the N64 saved game file pretty easily... I remember a tutorial from a long time ago, cannot find it, I will look for it now.

Excellent

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:30 pm

one word. Canada.

I think I'll have to find a place with cheap shiping to canada and then I'm set.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 pm

I don't think that's a real Adaptoid - it also works with PS2 controllers. Adaptoids don't do that, and the knockoffs usually don't support peripherals such as the Transfer Pak.