Little questions from around the world.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Re: Little questions from around the world.

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:45 pm

And the bags the bags come in are so handy for stuff!

Mind you, it's a waste of plastic...
Hey, sup?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Why do you guys over in England drive on the wrong side of the road (and car) compared to 75% of the rest of the world? The only semi-plausible explanation I've ever heard was that dates back to the horse-and-buggy days, so a right-handed man could draw his sword and slash at the drivers coming the other way. (But then again that's from an episode of NCIS...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and ... nd_traffic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Kurt_ wrote:The very act of defining nothing makes it something. Reminds me of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.
That's the first time I've ever heard that answer. Hooray for messing with my mind!

And who was phone?

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:16 pm

They used to have small bags of milk at school. I would push in the corner, put a piece of food (aka projectile) in, and slam my fist down on the bag.

I could send a carrot all the way across the cafeteria. :P

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:49 pm

Why dont you guys use metric like 90% of the world?

Maybe the same reason why they drive on the other side of the road. To be different. :P
bicostp wrote:Why do you guys over in England drive on the wrong side of the road (and car) compared to 75% of the rest of the world? The only semi-plausible explanation I've ever heard was that dates back to the horse-and-buggy days, so a right-handed man could draw his sword and slash at the drivers coming the other way. (But then again that's from an episode of NCIS...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and ... nd_traffic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:Why dont you guys use metric like 90% of the world?
Our current system is derived from the British system used during the time of colonization that has adapted a bit over the years. The reason we haven't switched yet even when England itself already switched to the Metric system is debatable. Some reasons are that all our companies/factories/public schools already use the current system, and it would cost them quite a bit to convert. This is what it all comes down to: money. Considering the US plays such a large role in trading and the global economy, the government just doesn't see the need for us to convert. Our government's logic simply is "Oh, well we're the big player here, so if they want to trade/negotiate with us, just let them use our standard". And from an economic standpoint this idea does make sense. So as a result, we'll switch when we get knocked down as a major global power and need to conform in order to trade.

My question is:
What is it like/would you think it'd be like to live in one of the places so up north that you receive 6 months of day and 6 months of night?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:21 am

anybody here ever had this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i am addicted to it.

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:39 am

Kurt_:

I'm down south as far as northern Nevada and we have lots of pine trees here. They do well in the low-moisture climate we have here.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

limpport

Post by limpport » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:46 am

dragonhead wrote:anybody here ever had this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i am addicted to it.
I get it every time I go to a local restaurant! I love the stuff! It orginated in New England (sorry NY), and Calvin Coolidge endorsed it (he was from Vermont).

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:18 am

bicostp wrote:Why do you guys over in England drive on the wrong side of the road (and car) compared to 75% of the rest of the world? The only semi-plausible explanation I've ever heard was that dates back to the horse-and-buggy days, so a right-handed man could draw his sword and slash at the drivers coming the other way. (But then again that's from an episode of NCIS...)

Think it goes back to Napoleon's times, he choose the right hand drive as the Brits were set on left hand side. Brits and French have been "in disagreement" probably since Norman times (still are: French, *pah*!). At the time, England had its "Empire" and France had its "Empire", so I imagine what happened is the French nations or supporters drove on the right, the nations who kicked out the Brits did the same. I think that's right anyway; the countries with allegiances to the Queen are left drive (I think). Interesting question!

Here's some of my queries:

* What about the logic as to why on earth do we still have NTSC and PAL formats when terrestrial television stations are pretty non existent now as we use satellite transmissions and nice big LCD televisions? All old programs could be converted to work to the same standard, frequency and resolution!

* In Scotland, they deep fry in batter - pizza, Mars bars. Quirky!

* Why does the US and Europe use 110v AC and Brits use 230v AC?

* Why do main power plugs have 3 pins (inc ground) and others from other nations use 2? Why have 2 pin plugs in different orientations (eg USA / Australia) for similar mains power needs? (I think that's right?).

* I would ask why the US is obsessed by celebrity "royalty" but know the answer is they don't have real Royalty so "substitute". (care to swap?).

collinE

Post by collinE » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 am

bacteria wrote:when terrestrial television stations are pretty non existent now as we use satellite transmissions and nice big LCD televisions?
Over here in the US, cable TV is still king. More and more people are switching to Satellite, but I get my internet through my cable provider so its easier and cheaper for me just to get it from one source.
bacteria wrote:* Why do main power plugs have 3 pins (inc ground) and others from other nations use 2? Why have 2 pin plugs in different orientations (eg USA / Australia) for similar mains power needs? (I think that's right?).
I don't know, it's pretty irritating that we have so many different standards. We have a 3-pin plug but some electronics don't include a ground so they only use two. It's annoying when you get an extension cord that only has two holes but you have an appliance with three pins. Even our clothes dryers can come with a bigger three or four pin plug that are completely different from our standard plugs. We need a special outlet for those!
bacteria wrote:* I would ask why the US is obsessed by celebrity "royalty" but know the answer is they don't have real Royalty so "substitute". (care to swap?).
I don't really understand this one, but it sounds more like a dig than anything.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:24 am

bacteria wrote: * What about the logic as to why on earth do we still have NTSC and PAL formats when terrestrial television stations are pretty non existent now as we use satellite transmissions and nice big LCD televisions? All old programs could be converted to work to the same standard, frequency and resolution!
I completely agree. Although, many people here do not own an HD-set, can you imagine how great it would be if we all shared the same format and TV went "international"? We could have channels from all around the world and we could all easily switch between them. Time zones might create an issue as many stations show infomercials or older stuff at night, but a DVR could easily solve this.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:38 am

Nah, not a dig. In the UK we tend to treat a celebrity like a chocolate bar, look at it, talk about it, try and see if there is any substance to it, eat it, throw the wrapping away and move on to the next choc bar. In contrast, Americans hold celebrity with major clout and importance, they do political speeches and support candidates, their opinions are regarded and held in importance on matters not to do with their trade; the "elite" like Nicholson, Liz Taylor, Spielburg, and others are looked on like royalty and given full red carpet treatment. A Nation, whoever they are, need a "head", whether it be a dictator, family, King, Queen or whatever (irrespective of if they have any power or not). America is a democracy and a Republic, so therefore no dictator and no Royal family; Presidents come and go, the constants are the celebs. See the logic?

In the UK, in contrast, the Royal family are not as popular as they are in the US; however there have been times in history where we could have overthrown the Family but didn't; we were only a Republic for 10 years with Oliver Cromwell, then back to Monarchy again (Charles II). Bottom line is we prefer having a Royal family even if we don't like many of them (we love the Queen though).

See your point about cable, didn't occur to me.

Agreed Zero_D. Don't know what the situation is in the US, but in the UK, the terrestrial transmitters are being shut down, its all Freeview or cable or satellite now. That would have given an opportunity to a new "standard".

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:03 am

bacteria wrote:A Nation, whoever they are, need a "head", whether it be a dictator, family, King, Queen or whatever (irrespective of if they have any power or not). America is a democracy and a Republic, so therefore no dictator and no Royal family; Presidents come and go, the constants are the celebs.
You might be on to something here. This would certainly explain why Canada, Australia, New Zealand and 12 other nations outside the UK still remain part of the commonwealth and choose to have Queen Elizabeth II as their queen.

bacteria wrote:Agreed Zero_D. Don't know what the situation is in the US, but in the UK, the terrestrial transmitters are being shut down, its all Freeview or cable or satellite now. That would have given an opportunity to a new "standard".
Well, people in most urban areas have switched to cable or satellite here in the US, but still there are quite a few people who still only get over the air stations, although I'd like to think that the digital transition pushed more people to move to cable/satellite.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:00 pm

We drive on the right side of the road, you drive on the wrong side.
You can dispute that if you want though, nobody will come up with a clear answer haha, even though a good portion of the world drives on the 'wrong' side.