(Super) Famicom Disk Drive (Internal shot added)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

HBN
(Super) Famicom Disk Drive (Internal shot added)

Post by HBN » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:45 pm

YouTube Video

Few progress images:

After I cleaned it up and polished a few minor scratches out

After I cut and trimmed, and sanded down and just cleaned out to fit that guts in it.

Test fit after I made the sticker. Theres no drive in it at this point. Just the decoder board. The top-most text line is "SHVC-HBN2-JPN", and the bottom line is "Serial ATA Hard Drive"

Label image.

--

This was a project of shear luck. Nothing more. Luck of parts cost (Watch the video to find that out). Luck of parts size, and trim-ability. Luck of a lot of things. And even then it was a pain in the ASS to do. Took over an hour to cut the USB hole in the cart. Sure, it could have taken less, but I'm a perfectionist, and cut it with a razor knife one fraction of a millimeter at a time. The result was a hole that everybody whose seen it thinks I had it sent out and cut.

It was also a project of ferocity, and refusing to be wrong. When I first mentioned this project to Chev (Shes known from the start, by the way, and has been a great help on parts of it.), she plainly said it wasn't possible. This was as she was having trouble doing the same thing in an American Super Nintendo cart. She gave me measurements to prove it. And we argued about this for a good hour and a half. Pretty much my only response - much to her annoyance (Sorry Chev) - was "Watch me." It was that phrase that I would repeat over an over again in my head as I was doing this. Every brick wall I hit, I said it out loud to remind myself of what I had said. I couldn't be wrong. I refused to be. Also, a phrase from a very wise, and now dead, man came to mind at those brick walls; "Brick walls are there to show you how badly you really want something.". How true.

Well....As it would seem, I wanted this REALLY badly. So I did it. Quickly, I'd like to thank you, Chev. For giving me the ferocity I needed to see this project to the end. The biggest fuel to my fire is telling me it can't be done.

I don't really think this qualifies as an afternoon project because of the shear work I put into it. Even if I had all the parts on hand, it would have taken two or three days. A day and a half minimum if all the parts fit without modification (Which they DID need.) due to the work I put into the cart. So no matter what, it would have taken longer than an afternoon to make. Unless all the parts fit perfectly, and all cuts/trims/work on the cart were made. If it was a ready to build unit, I could have done it in about an hour. But it wasn't. It aint somethin' you can just buy at Walmart, ya know?

Thanks for reading,
--HBN

EDIT:

Internals (By request):

The "Jen 1" is the project name.
Last edited by HBN on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Re: (Super) Famicom Disk Drive

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:18 pm

I liked the music in the video! :P

Also, Nice work!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HBN

Post by HBN » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:06 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:I liked the music in the video! :P

Also, Nice work!

SS
I can get you the song if you want.

Thanks!

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

Taiben

Post by Taiben » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Not bad. Any internal pics?
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

HBN

Post by HBN » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:14 am

Taiben wrote:Not bad. Any internal pics?
I can provide if you so wish. I mean as hard as it was to get together, it's not like the parts are super-secret. In fact, I think I said it in my video description, didn't, I? heh.

Anyways, if you want a couple, I can get them.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

Taiben

Re: (Super) Famicom Disk Drive (Internal shot added)

Post by Taiben » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 am

Guess I dont really see how it was such a big deal. So file some parts cut a hole etc. It is nice work and it is cool but I dont really see it as anything super special or the freaking David sculpture or something.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

HBN

Post by HBN » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 am

Taiben wrote:Guess I dont really see how it was such a big deal. So file some parts cut a hole etc. It is nice work and it is cool but I dont really see it as anything super special or the freaking David sculpture or something.
The same could be said about a lot of things here. However, its not the amount of work thats "special", it's the quality of work thats required. The difference between doing it, and doing it right. The effort. Not the final product.

In other words: Sometimes it's the trip thats special, not the destination.

Especially in this case as I was told it couldn't be done, and I did it by shear determination.

I understand what your saying. And agree for the most part. But like I said... It's the trip.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:20 am

1) i never said it was impossible
2) we never argued about it for any length of time, esp not 1.5 hours
3) i never lamented about having problems with the snes cart, cuz i never had any problems with it
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:31 am

Hey lovablechevy where did you come into this? :P

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:43 am

HBN wrote:It was also a project of ferocity, and refusing to be wrong. When I first mentioned this project to Chev (Shes known from the start, by the way, and has been a great help on parts of it.), she plainly said it wasn't possible. This was as she was having trouble doing the same thing in an American Super Nintendo cart. She gave me measurements to prove it. And we argued about this for a good hour and a half. Pretty much my only response - much to her annoyance (Sorry Chev) - was "Watch me." It was that phrase that I would repeat over an over again in my head as I was doing this. Every brick wall I hit, I said it out loud to remind myself of what I had said. I couldn't be wrong. I refused to be. Also, a phrase from a very wise, and now dead, man came to mind at those brick walls; "Brick walls are there to show you how badly you really want something.". How true.

Well....As it would seem, I wanted this REALLY badly. So I did it. Quickly, I'd like to thank you, Chev. For giving me the ferocity I needed to see this project to the end. The biggest fuel to my fire is telling me it can't be done.
that's where, ss.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

HBN

Post by HBN » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:15 am

lovablechevy wrote:1) i never said it was impossible
2) we never argued about it for any length of time, esp not 1.5 hours
3) i never lamented about having problems with the snes cart, cuz i never had any problems with it
Thats not how I remember it. Based on your encoder board. How do you NOT remember this? I remember it crystalline. Sure, maybe and hour and a half is a bit...off. But still. I plainly remember it.

I guess its no real issue....I was especially thanking you anyways.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.