NESp Version 2 - The pNESp

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer
NESp Version 2 - The pNESp

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:36 am

Well, it's been a while since I've made a portable, and as I've got about 14 weeks in which to do nothing now (having finally finished my A-Levels), I thought I'd dust off my soldering iron and start again! I've got lots of stuff planned for the summer, but I thought I'd ease myself back into the way of portables with another simple NESp, although this time I hope to make it a lot better than my other one (which was technically fine I suppose, but VERY bulky - it wasn't called the bulky NESp for nothing ya know :P)

I've got quite a lot of the planning done, and I've managed to acquire most of the parts already (including an Intec screen pad for a steal at about £5), so I can go ahead and make the thing in the next couple of weeks

Forgive the hideousness of the concept below, I know it's probably the worst Paint monstrosity ever created, but I just wanted to get a rough idea of positioning and give you guys an idea about how it's going to look

The case is a Logitech PSP hard case, which is just the right size for the screen, controls and NOAC board. I got two, just in case I make a mistake with the old Dremel (which I probably will end up doing :P)

The screen, standard 4Gamers LCD controller (they all have pretty much the same guts)

Car power adapter (which reminds me, I need to actually test the screen first :P)

I sold out and followed the trend for these new-fangled squishy tact switches to make it more NES-like, I wasn't massively keen on the overt clickyness of my older NESp's tact switch controls. Having said that, I'll probably still need to use some larger tact switches for the D-Pad or something

That's all I've got for now, stay tuned for more updates!

themadhacker

Re: NESp Version 2 - The pNESp

Post by themadhacker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:04 am

I have one of those psp cases. Looks like I have a use for it now.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:53 pm

themadhacker wrote:I have one of those psp cases. Looks like I have a use for it now.
Haha, don't go stealing my ideas :P

Very quick update just to say the screen is tested and working, which was a relief (not like it was particularly expensive though :P)

NES controller board, stripped and ready to go

NOAC, standard Power Player thing, it's pretty small as it is but I'm going to need to desolder the cart connector to fit it into the case

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:23 am

More updates, got quite a lot done yesterday

Re-instated work area in the garage, it's a lot neater than the old one but it certainly won't be for much longer :P

My trusty desoldering pump, UK style and the NOAC

One half of the cart slot desoldered

Both sides done

Cart slot and NOAC board separated. The whole process took about 5 minutes and it was a lot easier/quicker than I had thought it would be, the electric desoldering pump really helped

Screen, ready for disassembling

With the back taken off. I was expecting the controller board to be on a separate PCB, but it's all on one large one, which is a bit of a problem as it's currently too big to fit into the case. I'll probably try to cut it down, or I'll use another screen with a smaller board

Screen testing, it still works!

System test, minus controls, all good to go! I had to work out a pinout for the screen manually because this version isn't as well documented as some, I'll post it up at some point (it's very simple, only 6 wires)

Funtime indeed! (sorry for the blurriness!)

So, next stop, the case! Until next time :)

~TOOHF

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Yeah, a psp hard case is a great idea for a ready made portable case.

I think I'll be stealing... borrowing this idea.
\

Cotter

Post by Cotter » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Nice! I'm interested in watching this progress. Expect some PMs as soon as I get my materials.

L4nd0

Post by L4nd0 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 pm

good work so far
im really interested to see how this turns out
:D

FadedDelta

Post by FadedDelta » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:07 am

very different... but in a good way. very ingenious to use the psp hardcase. niiice idea. will be watching this thread.
Like i said... I'm a pimp and pimps dont commit suicide.

J.D

Post by J.D » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:46 pm

hahaha...pNES...P...I'm so immature... Good job so far!

Biased

Post by Biased » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Where can one acquire such tact switches? I know google is my friend here but I'm too lazy to dig into it very deeply.

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Biased - http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =EG4346-ND" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheOnlyOneHeFears - How is this project going?

Biased

Post by Biased » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 am

argelfraster wrote:Biased - http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... =EG4346-ND" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheOnlyOneHeFears - How is this project going?
The funny thing is I DID see those when I was looking for soft tact switches :? I guess it just didn't register with me as being the same ones :P. 500,000 is a good life cycle for tact switches on a portable, right?