DTV SWITCHOVER IS NIGH

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

grossaffe
Re: DTV SWITCHOVER IS NIGH

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:57 pm

so I checked my TV today and the only analog channel remaining is NBC, but is broadcasting how to switchover.

Hugely frustrating problem, though. I can't find the remote to my digital converter box and there is NO other way to interface with it. It is currently off right now so all I can get on my TV is someone pedantically telling my how to changeover in English then in Spanish.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Higher quality picture? My rumpus.

Warning, rant material!

All I've seen of the digital stuff is just miserably compressed garbage. Even the "HD" stuff looks like crap compaired to what you got with analog. They really need to step up their performance.

My biggest beef with the switch tho, is all the peeps near or around me who actually do like to watch TV, can't. I essentially live out in the boondocks, and can't pick up any digital signal at all. I have friends who have converters in their homes out in the country, and can't get anything cause the signal is just too weak for them. With analog, they could pick up the weak signals and could still watch their shows (albeit fuzzy). With digital, you can't watch anything. The signal NEEDS to be strong for anything to come through.

But eh, what do I care...I never watch TV anyway...unless, of course, there's a football game on...theeeen I have to watch....but that's what cable is for lol.

[/rant]
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:45 pm

I don't know what you get in your area, but everything analog around here has distortion patterns and static all over it. Digital TV is clear as day.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:49 pm

Channels 7 (NBC) and 56 (CW) around here are the only ones still broadcasting analog, and after midnight tonight it's over. I'll probably record the last few minutes of 7's broadcast and throw it on YouTube for the hell of it. :P

All the other channels are on digital broadcasts now, including a few extra PBS stations and one other channel we don't get on cable. I have to admit, the digital broadcasts are clearer than Comcast's cable service. :lol: (Seriously. One local channel's tower was close and high-power enough to interfere with the copy of it coming over the cable.) I can't wait for FiOS.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Well I am unimpressed with this. I found my remote and here's what I can watch:

Fox (often cuts out because of weak signal) OR* MY20(formerly UPN)

*Depending on where I place my antenna

This sucks big time. I can't get NBC, ABC, CBS... I basically have two video-game displays in my room now and no way to watch Conan at night in my room Image

Part of what really makes this suck is its near impossible to properly set your antenna to get the strongest signal like you can with analogue because you can't look at your TV and see how reception is doing. Sure there's a signal strength thing, but it lags and is basically no use when actually trying to set the damn antenna.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:04 pm

The power of the digital broadcasts isn't going to be stepped up for another two months, still. I think it's around August 20th.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

hotfootball2000

Post by hotfootball2000 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:11 pm

there is a guide on youtube on how to make a converter box portable, which is very easy. So mini t.v.s may not go down that much...

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Do you have a DTV/UHF antenna or are you using rabbit ears? The 'DTV' antennas are designed to pick up the area of the UHF band that the signals are sent on, while rabbit ears do a mediocre job of picking up the entire VHF/UHF spectrum. Even those little bowtie UHF antennas are more suitable than old general-purpouse antennas.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Here in Canada almost everyone has cable or even satellite. Satellite is digital I think. And we've had digital cable, even HD, for ages now. Unless you live in a big city like Vancouver all you are going to get is CBC.

In any case, we don't switch until 2010.

AfroLH

Post by AfroLH » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:03 pm

XCVG wrote:Here in Canada almost everyone has cable or even satellite. Satellite is digital I think. And we've had digital cable, even HD, for ages now. Unless you live in a big city like Vancouver all you are going to get is CBC.

In any case, we don't switch until 2010.
Thats how it is down here in Louisiana.
Nobody uses Analog or Digital.

Prolly because cable has everything down here and its actually affordable here.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Honestly, who doesn't own Cable these days? You all better have DSL or Cable Internet too!

What is this? The 90's?

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:28 pm

I don't have cable TV service, but that's because I choose not to. I actual get cable Internet access, but I didn't watch enough TV to warrant the overpriced cable bill. Hooray for Hulu!
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:36 pm

Black Six wrote:Hooray for Hulu!
No! The aliens will eat your brains if you watch too much of that!
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:30 am

Black Six wrote:I don't have cable TV service, but that's because I choose not to. I actual get cable Internet access, but I didn't watch enough TV to warrant the overpriced cable bill. Hooray for Hulu!
Wow - that's pretty much what I was going to write word for word when I started reading this thread. I don't watch enough TV to warrant getting cable or satellite, and stuff that I miss I usually am able to find online. I got a converter box coupon back when they first became available and have been watching digital since then. I get great reception even with a lousy little rabbit ear antenna in the Oklahoma City area 8)
nevermind1534 wrote:The power of the digital broadcasts isn't going to be stepped up for another two months, still. I think it's around August 20th.
I haven't heard anything about this. Does anyone know any more about it? It really does suck when your signal is too low and you just lose the audio or picture entirely.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:20 pm

We lost ABC, and get sucky NBC. We live in a bad area for any kind of radio reception, though (On the very edge of coverage) so I am not too angry about it. Do you have any info on that switch to higher power digital?

EDIT: It has begun, Casio EV-680s with 3" active matrix LCDs are going for under $15 shipped on ebay. :mrgreen:

Excellent