Windows 7

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

antrock101
Windows 7

Post by antrock101 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:24 pm

you can get the new windows free for a year from RC. However it is buggy but 10x better than vista i suggest a dule boot. I couldnt get IDE and SATA hard drives to show up the ide wouldnt show.I think this is due to the fact i have 2 system hard drives for no reason lol, anyway a quick heads up to fix it

Go to the console and type "diskpart" (no quotes)
Type "list volume"

If your drive shows up here, but has no letter associated in the "Ltr" column, all you need to do is assign it one. You can do that as follows:

Type "select volume x" x represents the number of the disk
Type "assign letter E" e is the letter you want to give it
HOLY FREAKIN MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST! THAT CASE IS HUGE!

Perhaps you may buy a smaller one.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Windows 7

Post by bicostp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Installed the RC over the old beta on a spare PC yesterday. I'll probably make a cut-down version with vLite for an old 500mhz P3 laptop I have lying around to play with.

It's pretty nice so far; I'll definitely buy it once I build a new PC. (Microsoft confirmed it comes out October 22, but pricing hasn't been announced yet.)

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:32 pm

I installed the RC last weekend after I handed in my research paper (Played it safe). Not much differences between the RC and 7077.

I also have the Technical Preview of Office 2010. I like it better than 2007. I have the 64-bit version so it seems to be a bit more responsive than 2007 since that was 32-bit only.

Is Microsoft finally getting their act together? Meh, they're on the right track :P

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 pm

possibly but no doubt there release somthing just to keep the "where a bit poo image up" on the other hand the fools with there non compatible mac's will feel silly for spending 80000000000000000000 billion million trillion pounds more for a white case and worse specs. Anyone used the version of mac os for pc its pretty good btw? (im not a mac hater see!) I dunno we can hope no doubt by the time the rc is up it will be patched to be windows 3:1 with vista like memeory eating

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:40 pm

Sounds like the Home Premium upgrade edition's going to be $50. Cheap! (Whether or not if they let you upgrade from XP, I don't know.) The plan that you can upgrade your Windows 7 Turd Edition install to Windows 7 Uber Edition by buying a license for the price difference is pretty good, too.
antrock101 wrote:[???]
Once more, with clarity? :? All I caught was "ololol [mac misconceptions]" and "it's gonna be vista but with more memory use".

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:09 am

antrock101 wrote:possibly but no doubt there release somthing just to keep the "where a bit poo image up" on the other hand the fools with there non compatible mac's will feel silly for spending 80000000000000000000 billion million trillion pounds more for a white case and worse specs. Anyone used the version of mac os for pc its pretty good btw? (im not a mac hater see!) I dunno we can hope no doubt by the time the rc is up it will be patched to be windows 3:1 with vista like memeory eating
Do you know what grammar is? You're not very good at it :lol:

Windows 7 RC is much better than Vista and I feel safe calling it an upgrade from XP.

DK

Post by DK » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:27 pm

I use it on my netbook all the time, much better than XP in my opinion. Will try Office 2010 next week but on a uni fieldtrip at the moment and Excel's rather useful to me working properly :P

robm

Post by robm » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 am

possibly but no doubt there release somthing just to keep the "where a bit poo image up" on the other hand the fools with there non compatible mac's will feel silly for spending 80000000000000000000 billion million trillion pounds more for a white case and worse specs. Anyone used the version of mac os for pc its pretty good btw? (im not a mac hater see!) I dunno we can hope no doubt by the time the rc is up it will be patched to be windows 3:1 with vista like memeory eating
*ahem*

Possibly, good sir, but they are no doubt releasing Windows 7 just to stay competitive in the OS market. The foolish, over-spending Mac users are spending too much money on their machines that have lower specs than their PC counterparts. Has anyone tried the PC version of Mac OS? I ask, for I am not a person who dislikes Macs. I do not know, but we can hope that by the time RC expires it will be patched to use less memory, along the lines of Vista.

:lol:

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 am

Do you know what grammar is? You're not very good at it
Sorry I have bad dyslexia :)
Possibly, good sir, but they are no doubt releasing Windows 7 just to stay competitive in the OS market.
This is true Vista was a dog turd.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:59 pm

I honestly have to ask... Why do people hate on Vista so much?

I have been using it for over a year and have no complaints. Now I will admit that it doesn't give one much incentive to upgrade from XP, but for a few features. I probably would still be running XP were it not for the fact that I got Vista Ultimate for free from the whole Club Live thing. That said, now that I've been using it for so long I don't think I would ever go back to XP.

Vista is far from being a turd. If you want a turd, look no further than Windows ME. Now that was a shameless money grab on Microsoft's part. Ugh!

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 pm

There are many reasons people dont like vista, My main one is the amount of memory it eats.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:09 pm

I think most of the Vista hate is leftover from its launch, when Microsoft shoved it out the door while it was still in the middle of brushing its teeth (to use a horrible analogy). It also needs a lot of memory compared to XP, but honestly that's a non-issue because you can get 4 gig DDR2 800 matching pairs for under $40 on NewEgg nowadays. They pretty much have it patched up now, but 7 has a lot of backend enhancements and optimization. XP still does everything I need it to, and now that 7 has a set release date (10/22), I'll hold out for it instead of buying Vista. (Hopefully by that point I'll have some cash to build a new PC, and I want to step into the future (and 4+ GB of RAM because the stuff's dirt cheap) with a 64-bit OS, which my XP disc is not. :lol:)

Installed the beta on an old 450 mhz Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 the other day (because I couldn't get vLite to work so I could bypass the 512 MB RAM check), and it works almost as well as XP. Obviously it has no capacity to run Aero, but Windows Basic mode works well enough for me, and I prefer Windows Classic anyway. (Though i have to admit Aero on a PC that can run it properly is really nice.) It's a lot better than when I tried Ubuntu 9.04 on it. (Still need to try OpenSolaris, which is actually Unix-derived, not imitation-Unix. :lol:)

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:21 pm

I agree Bic. A lot of the things I hear about Vista are the same things that were said about XP in the early days. Funny that the people that were ripping on XP back then are the ones talking about how great it is today. Perhaps Vista will experience the same turnaround after Windows 7 comes out.

I'm running the 64 bit version of Vista with 4GB of RAM and it works great (as it should). Aero is great and is a good demonstration of some of the little things that Vista does so well. There are a lot of aesthetic things you really notice aren't there when going back to XP after using Vista.

I'm sure Windows 7 will be an excellent OS as well. I probably won't go to it anytime soon though. Unless of course, Club Live strikes again. Or would that be Club Bing now? :)

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Yeah, I remember when XP came out everyone shouted "OMG BLOAT STICK WITH 98!" (because we all know what a stable, secure OS Win98 was [massive sarcasm]), but I just remember thinking "What's with this Mattel interface skin?! *changes to Windows Classic*" because I was used to NT since our thrown-away-from-dad's-work home PC had 2000 on it. (Let's face it, XP is just 2000 with a more user-friendly interface on top.)

Speaking of which, that laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port on it, so I had to use an old Netgear Ethernet card. I couldn't find working drivers anywhere online, but luckily found the CD. The drivers designed for "Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000" worked perfectly. :lol:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:57 am

bicostp wrote:I think most of the Vista hate is leftover from its launch, when Microsoft shoved it out the door while it was still in the middle of brushing its teeth (to use a horrible analogy). It also needs a lot of memory compared to XP, but honestly that's a non-issue because you can get 4 gig DDR2 800 matching pairs for under $40 on NewEgg nowadays. They pretty much have it patched up now, but 7 has a lot of backend enhancements and optimization. XP still does everything I need it to, and now that 7 has a set release date (10/22), I'll hold out for it instead of buying Vista. (Hopefully by that point I'll have some cash to build a new PC, and I want to step into the future (and 4+ GB of RAM because the stuff's dirt cheap) with a 64-bit OS, which my XP disc is not. :lol:)

Installed the beta on an old 450 mhz Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 the other day (because I couldn't get vLite to work so I could bypass the 512 MB RAM check), and it works almost as well as XP. Obviously it has no capacity to run Aero, but Windows Basic mode works well enough for me, and I prefer Windows Classic anyway. (Though i have to admit Aero on a PC that can run it properly is really nice.) It's a lot better than when I tried Ubuntu 9.04 on it. (Still need to try OpenSolaris, which is actually Unix-derived, not imitation-Unix. :lol:)
well of course Ubuntu won't run very well on that old thing; its meant for at least somewhat not-bad machines. Xubuntu may work well with it, but 450 Mhz is pretty weak. If not Xubuntu then Fluxbuntu, the fluxbox window manager distribution of Ubuntu, is meant for running on such machines. For a non-ubuntu based distribution, Puppy linux should probably work pretty well.