10.2 screen w/ Xbox 360? Nah... ahm makin a laptop!

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_
10.2 screen w/ Xbox 360? Nah... ahm makin a laptop!

Post by Zeturi » Mon May 11, 2009 7:02 pm

I've seen people who put a PSOne screen onto their PC with the vga mod, and I think somebody else put a PSOne screen onto their xbox. Well, I had a screen lying around,

http://www.amazon.com/Intec-G7700-10-2- ... B001HKZ3UY

When I got it, the hinges were broken, and the screen looked like crap w/ the PS3. (I've been pretty spoiled by 1080i). It only works with a 480i setting. So, I threw it away into a box for a while, thought about selling it in the Trading Post, but decided to tested it with an Xbox 360. It looked pretty good, actually, for being a bit low-res. The screen is also powered by 12v, so I think I could tie it into the xbox fan power supply.

I'm thinking of doing either one of two mods:

1) Mount the screen onto the side of the xbox
2) Build a noobish 360 laptop. (No keyboard, no usb ports, just a rebuilt case with a screen.)

Considering I'm still new with hacking/soldering/gluing/cutting, I may go with option 1 because it's a little bit less work. Then again, a laptop would be pretty nice... what do you guys think? Here's soe pics of the screen after a screwed around with it:

Yes, lots of tape... :lol:
Last edited by Zeturi on Tue May 12, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

GhaleonX

Re: 10.2 screen w/ Xbox 360?

Post by GhaleonX » Tue May 12, 2009 11:26 am

Wow, that's lots of tape.

If soldering and such aren't a "skill" you've developed yet, then you'll probably just want to try to find a way to mount the screen and be done with it.

You could also dremel a window into the top of the case that's about the size of the screen and mount it to that, but it's whatever.

Zeturi

Re: 10.2 screen w/ Xbox 360?

Post by Zeturi » Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 am

Oh crap my Dibs are showing! :oops:
I can solder, because there was a lot of stuff that I removed or changed positions so that I could get the screen a bit smaller. :

1) I removed the headphone jacks and tied together all the speakers
2) I removed the media buttons (menu, brightness, volume, etc) and now it will turn on automatically if it gets power to it.
3) I extended the control board so that I'd have enough room to fold it onto the back of the screen

I know that I could do these for sure:
1) Tie the screen into the 360's fan power
2) Dremel (or melt with a soldering iron) a hole into the side of the 360
3) Connect the AV to the 360

I think I may attempt the laptop, actually. I've already got a lot of the stuff I need to make it, minus all stuff for the case. I'll have 3 months to fully dedicate to it, so I think I might do that. I've been looking at everybody else's projects for a while now, and I think I'm confident enough to do so.

By the way, awesome Hackintosh!
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

GhaleonX

Re: 10.2 screen w/ Xbox 360? Nah... ahm makin a laptop!

Post by GhaleonX » Wed May 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Zeturi wrote: I know that I could do these for sure:

IIRC, the 360's fan header starts at 5v, then steps up to 12v, so powering the screen from that would give it irregular voltage, wouldn't it?
Zeturi wrote: By the way, awesome Hackintosh!
Thanx. I'll be sure to post more pics when I do some more work to it.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm

GhaleonX wrote:
Zeturi wrote: I know that I could do these for sure:

IIRC, the 360's fan header starts at 5v, then steps up to 12v, so powering the screen from that would give it irregular voltage, wouldn't it?.
The fans say that they run on 12v though, so I was under the impression that I could just solder the positive and negative leads of the screen into the fan power supply.
I asked my friend who works with computers and he told me that regularly, yes, computer fans would be 5v and then step up to 12v, but the fans on the 360 only run at one speed and only run with 12v.
If possible, could someone please post their experience with this? I'd really hate to ruin a nice sized screen or break an xbox 360.
If this isn't possible, then I'll see if there's another place on the board that supplies 12v.

GhaleonX

Post by GhaleonX » Wed May 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Zeturi wrote:The fans say that they run on 12v though, so I was under the impression that I could just solder the positive and negative leads of the screen into the fan power supply.
I asked my friend who works with computers and he told me that regularly, yes, computer fans would be 5v and then step up to 12v, but the fans on the 360 only run at one speed and only run with 12v.
If possible, could someone please post their experience with this? I'd really hate to ruin a nice sized screen or break an xbox 360.
If this isn't possible, then I'll see if there's another place on the board that supplies 12v.
Well, I've never seen a stock 360 run the fans at 12v the entire time; when the fans get loud is when they're running at 12v (start playing a game or something). Everyone who does a 12v fan mod wires the fan to a seperate 12v source; otherwise they'd just cut a wire or something instead of having to locate a new power source.

There's a few other good spots to grab a 12v source from; I'd go for right under the PSU.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Okay, after googling quite a bit, I've found that there are several places to find 12v on the board. But yeah, the psu seems best.
My xbox should be arriving tomorrow or monday, so as soon as I test it, I'm going to wire in the screen.
I was thinking though, what are better ways of reducing the height of the gpu heatsink (whoops, nearly typed hatesink).
On another tangent, notice how in the words heatsink and hatesink that the words heatsink and hatesink are there? :| Wierd.
But back to the heatsinks, could I possibly replace it with another 360 cpu heatsink I have laying around? If so, I would definitely install some extra fans to keep it cool(er).

EDIT: Also, doesn't anyone visit this 360, wii, ps3 section of the forums? I thought the 360 and ps3 had the biggest following. (Sorry Wii).

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Ah... crap. Well, I got pretty far, at first. I first bought a new soldering iron, which was a really nice one. I took apart my 360, and soldered the pins from the 360 onto the inputs of the lcd.
I tied the power together by using 12v from under the PSU, and then turned it on. And for two consecutive tests, it turned on and looked awesome! I was pretty excited, so I went to go get my mom and show her what I did, because she gets really nervous about me soldering in the house. Thinks I'll set the house on fire with a 15 watt soldering iron.
And wouldn't you know it... I turned it on, the sound played, and the screen... was black. :shock: And to top it off, several seconds later, I got the red ring of death. I screamed, my mom walked out of the room quietly, and I pulled the plug.
I restarted the system, and no red rings. I noticed the screen was actually playing video, except the screen was really dark. The backlight had somehow blown out. The speakers still played, and there was video, but no light to actually see what was going on.
And so I have to abandon this project, because I only have a psone lcd left and I have other plans for it... :twisted:

Oh wells, at least I learned about the 360's pinouts, and I got a ton of experience with soldering to circuit boards. (Level up, maybe? :wink: ) Maybe my ambitions to put a 10 inch lcd were a bit high; there was another guy that did this with a 7 inch lcd.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat May 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Your screen probably took too much power from the PSU. Try a LED mod, might save the screen.