Could someone help me choose a TV for gaming?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

skeneegee
Could someone help me choose a TV for gaming?

Post by skeneegee » Sun May 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm in the market for a new TV. Currently I use just a CRT for gaming but want to get a big LCD or plasma. I brought Guitar Hero to my brothers to play on his LCD and I couldn't hit any notes on time. Later I learned there is a delay or latency.

Could someone give me some (good) advise on what to look for? I'm guessing I won't be able to play Samba De Amigo(DC) or Parappa very well due to latency, I'm also kind of worried about hardcore shooters like Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun. I've already accepted the fact that I can't use my Stunners on Saturn with LCD(and plasma?).

Thanks,
-mike
Notorious wrote:Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this

Aguiluz

Re: Could someone help me choose a TV for gaming?

Post by Aguiluz » Sun May 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Some panels have Game Mode that disables processing crap that introduces latency.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun May 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Get a nice LCD computer monitor. High res, you don't have to sit a mile away, and accepts VGA and DVI. Well actually you should probably get one that has composite in as well.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun May 10, 2009 6:30 pm

XCVG wrote:Get a nice LCD computer monitor. High res, you don't have to sit a mile away, and accepts VGA and DVI. Well actually you should probably get one that has composite in as well.
Or, if he has friends, he could get a big TV so they can see it, too. :wink:

I think the "lag" comes from the TV upconverting the signal or getting an interlaced signal. Only CRTs can display interlaced signals, other types of screens have to wait for two of the frames and piece them together before displaying the image. Probably the best way to find a TV you like is to find a store that will let you bring in a game system and try it out on their TVs.

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:17 pm

for the delay/latency on Guitar Hero you can go to options, then calibrate lag so it doesn't do that anymore. Not sure about the other games though (probably not)

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Mon May 11, 2009 12:54 am

I'm looking into getting one of these, personally. Just about the perfect size for my room, supports 720p and (supposedly) 1080i, fairly inexpensive if you buy it anywhere but the Vizio website, and has pretty good reviews. If it's too small, check out their larger TVs. They've got what looks like a 40 or 42" Vizio in our orthodontist's office and it looks awesome. Can't say how it'd work for gaming, though, unfortunately, but I suppose you could look up reviews easily enough.

I considered the monitor idea at first, but it didn't appeal to me because I'd also have to buy a TV tuner and it sounds less-than-easy to just hook stuff up to it. I'd rather have something with a tuner built-in that I can just plug stuff into and go.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

skeneegee

Post by skeneegee » Mon May 11, 2009 6:04 am

You guys rock! Thanks for the help.
Notorious wrote:Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username:FullFreak
360 GamerTag:GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Mon May 11, 2009 5:59 pm

If your still on the lookout I recommend the sony Bravia. I got a 52" and it plays all my guitar hero/DDR games without a problem. I had a problem with Rockband when my friend brought it over, but we recalibrated it (in settings) and had no problem

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed May 13, 2009 11:09 am

Sony Bravia TVs are excellent for gaming.

Also, my TV is a Wharfedale, think the LCD is a Sharp, and i'm not joking there are no latency issues at all. Even Guitar Hero was spot on without any calibration.

emeraldz
PSN Username:Ktiger41

Post by emeraldz » Wed May 13, 2009 7:01 pm

I have a friend who works selling tv's and vizio's are utter crap. totally worthless. those get returned weekly. It has been mentioned at the end of this thread. get a Sony Bravia and you'll never regret it. never.