BLAAAAARGG!!!! should I buy this LCD?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

OhSnap!
BLAAAAARGG!!!! should I buy this LCD?

Post by OhSnap! » Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 am

hey everyone,
I have been lurking this board for a few days now and I have decided to build myself a n64 portable for a school project.
I have aimed so high for this school project because I have recently changed schools and the people are amazingly advanced compared to the people of my old one. I intend to show them my skills.
I intend to do by the means of the creativity class my school runs, known as LFL classes (learning for life :roll: ) in which for two terms everybody works on extravigant projects for a a day of display in which teachers, students and parents move through the library where they are all on display out and vote for the best.
The bar has been set pretty high. People have done things in previous year things like make snowboards, smith metal medieval armour, create fanastic animations and somebody even made themselves a king sized bed from scratch, Just to name a few.
I probably wouldn't try something this difficult if i hadn't previously had experience with stuff like this when i built my mame arcade machine.

Now I have some q's

1: I have checked out ebay and found this screen ( I won't give out the link as it still has 2 days left and no bidders, i intend to be the only one :D )
It looks like this:
the description is a follows-
make: Teac
Screen size- 5"
typ: LCD
resolution: 168,246 DOTS
sound: BUILT-IN SPEAKER
volume up/down
a/v input output
DC 12V INPUT
180X145X48 (mm)

Does this sound good to you guys? i noticed it takes 12v, will that be a problem?
i would hate to get a peice of crap as i am really strapped for cash after buying the art for the arcade machine.

2- my school has a cnc mill and i was hoping to be able to cut out a mold and vacuum mold it to make the case but they don't have a vacuum molder anymore. is there any way to make a good case with just the cnc?
Last edited by OhSnap! on Sat May 09, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

manuba
PSN Username:w33dw4c3r
Steam ID:Truckstop13

Re: BLAAAAARGG!!!! should I buy this LCD?

Post by manuba » Thu May 07, 2009 10:04 am

OhSnap! wrote:hey everyone,
I have been lurking this board for a few days now and I have decided to build myself a n64 portable for a school project.
I have aimed so high for this school project because I have recently changed schools and the people are amazingly advanced compared to the people of my old one. I intend to show them my skills.
I intend to do by the means of the creativity class my school runs, known as LFL classes (learning for life :roll: ) in which for two terms everybody works on extravigant projects for a a day of display in which teachers, students and parents move through the library where they are all on display out and vote for the best.
The bar has been set pretty high. People have done things in previous year things like make snowboards, smith metal medieval armour, create fanastic animations and somebody even made themselves a king sized bed from scratch, Just to name a few.
I probably wouldn't try something this difficult if i hadn't previously had experience with stuff like this when i built my mame arcade machine.

Now I have some q's

1: I have checked out ebay and found a 5.6" LCD COLOR MONITOR ( I won't give out the link as it still has 2 days left and no bidders, i intend to be the only one :D )
It looks like this:
the description is a follows-

MAKE: TEAC
SIZE: 5.6INCH
TYPE: LCD
MODEL: LCM-5050
*RESOLUTION 168,246 DOTS
*ON SCREEN DISPLAY
*BUILT-IN SPEAKER
*VOLUME UP/DOWN PICTURE ADJUST
*AUTO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL
*A/V INPUT & OUTPUT
*DC 12V INPUT
*180X145X48 (mm)

Does this sound good to you guys? i noticed it takes 12v, will that be a problem?
i would hate to get a peice of crap as i am really strapped for cash after buying the art for the arcade machine.

2- my school has a cnc mill and i was hoping to be able to cut out a mold and vacuum mold it to make the case but they don't have a vacuum molder anymore. is there any way to make a good case with just the cnc?

If the price is right......................... As for the CNC-Did you read Ben's book? Or look over his projects on the main page? All you need is a CNC, the vac-form molder is used if you want to mass produce a CNC case or don't have access to a CNC in the first place. :lol:

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu May 07, 2009 2:15 pm

I suspect the screen will need 12v; which is fine for an N64 as a TI step-down regulator can input 12v and output your needed 3.3v fine, the board's other voltage is 12v and screen is 12v in your case - issue will be however that you need 12v batteries, which might be heavy. The screen takes a/v input, so it says, so you can put in composite. Only issue is picture quality, that I don't know.

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu May 07, 2009 3:04 pm

You'll most likely be able to use it with 7.5v. Do you have a power supply to test it with?

zealot2009

Post by zealot2009 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Fix'd
Last edited by zealot2009 on Fri May 08, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Thu May 07, 2009 7:27 pm

ooooooo, i want to buy it now.
Citizen Kane

Taiben

Post by Taiben » Thu May 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Too bad its AU only.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 pm

you mean paypal won't convert the currency?
damn... :cry:
Citizen Kane

Taiben

Post by Taiben » Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm

No he only ships in AU.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm

an Australian Dollar for that screen! I wish I had canadians who did that....;(

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:08 am

hehehe suddenly living in Australia has an advantage,

no jokes I wont buy it,

it looks to be designed as a in car monitor and all of the ones I've bought which "say" 12v work fine with 7.5v, anything under seven though they begin to go crappy, but if it goes for cheap I reccomend you buy it anyway
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Fri May 08, 2009 12:40 am

What the hell is wrong with you zealot2009? you're such a fag :evil:

zealot2009

Post by zealot2009 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 am

A few things
1 Im buying it.
2 I thought better modders could make a better portables rather than you and/or me.
3 Don't call me a fag it's not nice.
4 I have all the materials to build a portable n64 and a portable gamecube. I also doubt you have everything to build one including the TIPTH08000. I am holding out on the gamecube as I probably dont have the skill to do it yet.

Zealot

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Fri May 08, 2009 12:58 am

wow you are a retard! I am probably substantially more skillful at modding than you are by a long shot so i would have made good use of it.
also, your reasoning sucks balls and your are a mega fag, as it would take one to do that to someone. :roll:

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Fri May 08, 2009 1:04 am

oh well...I guess i will find another one somewhere.
I am going to be making a progress thread later on, so if anybody is interested it would be cool to get people's input along the way. it's better just to dump this one.
I probably wont get the book as I am on a budget and i am not shooting for perfection, just a working machine.