NEW 72-pin connectors (sharing info)

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

vomitsaw
NEW 72-pin connectors (sharing info)

Post by vomitsaw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:08 am

Hey fellas. Some of you are probably already aware of this, but just thought I'd share for those who didn't.
If you're looking into doing any NES modding and need a new 72-pin connector, of course you could always disembowel an old Game Genie and use it's connector. OR, you could purchase them at Newark Electronics for about $4.75. (Manufacturer part number 50-36SN-12 / Newark part number 44F4821). http://www.newark.com/cinch/50-36sn-12/ ... tid=286999

I went ahead and bought four of them to try out for a while. The first thing I noticed is that the image shows the connector having little mounting tabs on both sides, which would have been handy. But alas, they're suspiciously missing from what was actually shipped. Not a big deal really, just a slight disappointment.
So here it is:

What I REALLY found interesting was how strange and excessive the packaging was. They're all lined up end-to-end in this long plastic tube thing.

What if I had ordered FIFTY of them? And what's with this box and all the extra padding? :lol:

Thought I'd share. :)

Skyone

Re: NEW 72-pin connectors (sharing info)

Post by Skyone » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:24 am

Pretty lame that they didn't come with the screw posts. :(

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:33 am

That's a lot cheaper than gutting overpriced stuff from the local used game store. Thanks for the tip, and great pics!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:28 pm

I ordered a battery socket from them, and they did the same extreme over packing.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:59 pm

The overpacking is due to the fact that most orders through places like that are pretty large, and they won't spend extra for smaller than average boxes. The plastic tube, AFAIK, is industry standard for shipping parts like that in large quantities. Institutions like the tube because automatic PCB stuffing machines load things into long dispensing racks in strips like that. I get my EPROMS and other chips all coming in tubes like that.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:33 am

*** UPDATE ***

Upon further inspection I've noticed that the pin spacing is a little off. Not by much, and it should still work fine it most cases, but it IS a little off. The pitch between the pins on this connector is .1" (2.54mm) and I believe the NES used some stupid non-standard pitch like 2.5mm. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a supplier for this connector. I KNOW somebody's making them because they're in every 72-to-60 pin converter, Game Genie and Yobo/FC Twin/Retro Duo system out there. Anybody here know anything? Manufacturer/part number? I'm going to start a long series of phone calls to different companies if not. It's driving me mad.

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:30 pm

If I can just put in my .02 cents, why don't you just buy those Family Converters? I believe Play-Asia has a bunch in stock. I just hacksaw the part with the 72 pin connector off, and then voila, giant pins for you to directly solder to (and on a thick circuit board, no less), and it has the screwposts which is even better. Plus it comes down to like 8 dollars shipped!
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:54 pm

demonofaj wrote:If I can just put in my .02 cents, why don't you just buy those Family Converters? I believe Play-Asia has a bunch in stock. I just hacksaw the part with the 72 pin connector off, and then voila, giant pins for you to directly solder to (and on a thick circuit board, no less), and it has the screwposts which is even better. Plus it comes down to like 8 dollars shipped!
But this is half the price, and is in the US.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48 pm

demonofaj wrote:If I can just put in my .02 cents, why don't you just buy those Family Converters? I believe Play-Asia has a bunch in stock. I just hacksaw the part with the 72 pin connector off, and then voila, giant pins for you to directly solder to (and on a thick circuit board, no less), and it has the screwposts which is even better. Plus it comes down to like 8 dollars shipped!

I remember buying one of those from Lik-sang back when they were around and yeah, ultimately ended up using the connector in one of my previous projects. I looked all over the Play-Asia site and couldn't find any trace of the NES-to-Famicom converter. Have a link or something? It drives me nuts because obviously those connectors are coming from somewhere. But WHERE... *rubs chin*

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 am

If you find where...I'll dub you the Sherlock Homes of Benheck, becasue then I can finally make good NES cart connectors that won't ever die again...:)

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm

not to crap or anything, but couldn't you just use an old 72 pin zif? Granted it is awesome to use new connectors but why not recycle the old 72 pin? Hardwiring the cart end of it to the PCB and use the PCB end after filing it down enough to accept the cart. Possible??
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed May 06, 2009 2:02 pm

EDIT: Never mind, my ignorance was showing.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

DK

Post by DK » Thu May 07, 2009 3:45 am

demonofaj wrote:If I can just put in my .02 cents
Shouldn't that be 0.2 dollars = 2 cents ?

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 am

I caught that too, but I knew what he meant.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 pm

DK wrote:
demonofaj wrote:If I can just put in my .02 cents
Shouldn't that be 0.2 dollars = 2 cents ?
Actually, .02 dollars = 2 cents, and .02 cents equals two hundreths of a cent. :lol: I just had to be a dick...
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts