GameCube Portable Guide "How To and FAQ"

Moderator:Moderators

kasar
Re: GameCube Portable Guide "How To"

Post by kasar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:59 am

Tchay wrote: -----KASAR :) , sorry I forgot to say, NICE JOB, this guide is a good start for beginners----
thank you :wink:

Virtual Boy wrote:Where is the regulator board supose to be?
i can not find :?
if your GC doesnt have a regulator board and the power cable (1 BLACK and 1 RED wires ended on a small white connector) was connected directly to your GC MOBO, you are one of those lucky guys wich owns a rev C GC board, the GC board have an integrated regulator board, so you can skip the regulator board reallocating steep of the guide :)

Rev C Mobos allways help to get smaller GCp :wink:
Tchay wrote:Can I replace one of the motors in the disc drive with a smaller one (from my CD player). I am talking about replacing the motor that spins the cogs to make the laser scan up down along the disc.
well, you can try, btw there is a lot of chance about your DD will not read the DISKs, cause the optical drives are very sensitive to changes, this means if you modify the motor, the disk speed can change and reading data may not work fine.

btw, you can try, and post results ;)

if the results are not good, just solder again the old motor the get the DD back to life :P

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Great guide, someone remind me to sticky this when it's completed! :P
I would be a nice idea :D .

well, the guide basically is done ^^
Last edited by kasar on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Well, Kasar, I was too impatient to wait so I just installed my CD player motor :D and it worked perfectly. Well, I played Metroid Prime 2 for like 5 minutes without any problems. I watched the laser shift up and down with good speed so it works!! Now, I am wondering if by using my smaller motor, am I saving on power????
Image Image

kasar

Post by kasar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:40 am

really good man, this give me some ideas for my next portable

yep, by using a smaller motor you probably will save some battery, but you will need test if the motor have enough strenght to handle the task.

seems you are doing a great job tricking the DD , GL ;)

will you post pics of it?

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:47 pm

The GC motor is on the left and the CD motor is on the right. Their diameters are identical, while the CD motor is slightly smaller, height wise.

The real issue that I will spend the next month working out is going to be the disc reader. It sticks out way too much for comfort. So I am going to have to do some surgery on that thing 8)

as always, any advice would be greatly appreciated! :wink:
Image Image

kasar

Post by kasar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:45 pm

nice :)

yeah, the motors are very similar, but the one of the CD is slim, good choice ;)

btw I think the power consumition will be similar, btw if you are curius, get a multimeter and test both motors consumitions.

btw the real problem of the gamecube DD is the laser, it have a big metallic part, wich I didnt removed due I suspect the lazer need an specific weight.

if you go serius to slim the DD tricks/slim, you can try remove the metallic case part of the laser and add an slim part of lead or any other similar material and try get the same weight. It may be a good idea.

you also can start your own worklog thread with pics and info at the gamecube section ,so you will get more views there.

if you also have sucess at your DD tricking, you also can post the info ,and ofc I will add your method at this guide DD hacking methods with credits for you.

:wink:

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:07 pm

thx man :) ill start working on it and then start a thread to show my failures/successes :lol:
Image Image

kasar

Re: GameCube Portable Guide "How To and FAQ"

Post by kasar » Sun May 03, 2009 4:52 pm

* Added a FAQ section at the end of the guide, it have only few Q and A , but I will add more when I will see more common GCP probls

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun May 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Awesome! Will definitely use this guide when I decide to tackle the gamecube :D
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

haterz

Post by haterz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:46 pm

were do i buy the whire 4 this cuz i want 2 build it and i got a soddering gun i just need whires so were do i get em k thanks

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 am

eurddrue wrote:Awesome! Will definitely use this guide when I decide to tackle the gamecube :D
:D glad to hear it ^^

haterz wrote:where do I buy the wire for this cause I want to build it and i got a solering gun I just need wires so were do I get them? ok thanks
you can get good wires for soldering at any electronics store.

you also can get stuff from onlines stores like http://www.radioshack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a good advice is find thin and colored wires, it make the job easier ;)
Last edited by kasar on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperRiderTH

Post by SuperRiderTH » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:06 pm

:P Everything is perfect i'm going to make one but i need help :wtf: How do i hook up the gamecube to a APEX model PD-500 screen :shock:

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:48 pm

SuperRiderTH wrote::P Everything is perfect i'm going to make one but i need help :wtf: How do i hook up the gamecube to a APEX model PD-500 screen :shock:
this one?

http://products.howstuffworks.com/apex- ... review.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

well, like any other portable screens, it accept composite video. all you need is take apart the system and solder directly to the video inputs.

btw, If you are able to choose another screen, it will be nice.

cause this one seems a little bigger to a portable project, its low resolution also may be a probl

you also can find this text at the link of the screen
Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: You get what you pay for: cheap construction, poor performance, low-resolution LCD screen
look for another slim screen with good resolution will be nice.

a psone screen should be nice, (slim and cool image quality) there are also lot of diagrams and info over this site, this would be simplify the process a lot.

waiting for news :wink:

SuperRiderTH

Post by SuperRiderTH » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Yeah thats the one but...yeah it's the only one i have right now and whenever i check ebay for a psone screen they are over 50 dollars... :(

SuperRiderTH

Post by SuperRiderTH » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:30 pm

And I am trying to figure out which ones are video audio power since I took it apart and the audio and video connect to the same chip and the power goes to it somewhere... :( I know almost nothing about this stupid apex but i have it apart...

kasar

Post by kasar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm

well, the video and audio inputs should be same even taking it appart, just check where the traces going and solder the wires to it.

portabilize way: is basically plug everything as usuall, except remove unnecesary components, solder instead plugging, put batteries, and try to make components smaller to get the smaller project posible, then all you need is put everything togheter into a case and enjoy your finished work ;)