Famicom Twin Repair

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

DHG Hunter
Famicom Twin Repair

Post by DHG Hunter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Hey folks,

I ran into a problem at the Midwest Gaming Classic where the sound no longer worked on my Famicom Twin when I put in a Famicom cartridge. The Famicom disks still sound OK, but I get a pretty nasty hum with the carts. I don't remember the two guys that looked at the system at the show, but it sounded like the repair shouldn't be that much of an issue once the correct parts were found.

I offered Old School Gamer the repair on the system, but he rejected it calling it a "third party system" since Sharp assembled it for Nintendo. I'd still prefer to fix this system rather than getting another one, but at the same time I'm really not all that interested in spending an arm and a leg on fixing it either. If someone is confident they can fix the system and would like to take a look at it and quote me a price, preferably one of the two guys at the Midwest Gaming Classic that took a look at the system already, I'd like to send it out and get it repaired.

Thanks!

- J.D.

Krepticor

Re: Famicom Twin Repair

Post by Krepticor » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 pm

is the hum located in the audio or is the system itself emitting the hum?

also, has there been a previous repair to the system?
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

DHG Hunter

Post by DHG Hunter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Krepticor wrote:is the hum located in the audio or is the system itself emitting the hum?

also, has there been a previous repair to the system?
The hum is from the audio port itself coming through the TV speakers. It is not eminating from the Famicom Twin itself.

As far as repairs are concerned, I can't say that it has had any repairs that I know of. I bought it off of a guy from Japan that had the original receipt and box which leads me to believe the system hadn't been repaired before, but I'm really not sure. I can take some snap shots of the inside of the system if you're interested.

Later.

DHG Hunter

Post by DHG Hunter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 am

I finally got myself completely unpacked from the MGC and decided to toy around with the Twin Famcom a bit more. I cracked the system open and began looking around for any obvious signs of trouble with the system. Aside from a dust bunny and a few hairs, the system appears to be fine so I locked it back up and tried it out again. This time I am able to hear sound from both the Disk games and the Cart games, but a loud humming noise is still drowing out most of the audio from both game types, not just the cart games as I thought was the case at the show.

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to this, but I remember having to replace a cap on my Turbo Duo when I began having audio problems with that system. Is that likely the same problem I'm having with the Twin Famicom right now, or is it probably something else?

Also, in regards to whether or not this system has ever been opened and repaired before, when I opened the system I did notice a few marker scribbles both on the inside of the case and on the top of a few plastic pieces here and there. It's not a definitive answer, but my guess now is that yes, the system has been in a shop at least once before.

If anyone can help me with the repair - either tip me off on what I can do to fix it or can fix it themselves - I'd really appreciate it. It doesn't look like there are any places I can find on the 'net that service the system unless I live in Japan. :?

Here's some information and screen shots about the Twin Famicom's insides:

http://www.famicomworld.com/Workshop/Tw ... Repair.htm
http://www.famicomworld.com/Workshop/Tw ... ir_Two.htm

If you would like to see some better shots of the inside of the system, I can probably take some good ones in the next couple of days.

Later.