Replacing Save Batteries in NES carts

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Spyder12587
Replacing Save Batteries in NES carts

Post by Spyder12587 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere (a brief search gave me no results) but I just received a copy of the Legend of Zelda on the NES and the save battery is dead. Figuring this would be an easy swap, I opened the cartridge but the battery wouldn't come out. I didn't want to pull too hard and ruin the battery connector so I decided to turn to you guys for advice. How should I proceed? (And thanks in advance)
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: Replacing Save Batteries in NES carts

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Spyder12587 wrote:Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere (a brief search gave me no results) but I just received a copy of the Legend of Zelda on the NES and the save battery is dead. Figuring this would be an easy swap, I opened the cartridge but the battery wouldn't come out. I didn't want to pull too hard and ruin the battery connector so I decided to turn to you guys for advice. How should I proceed? (And thanks in advance)
The battery is soldered on. You could buy a new one to solder on or buy a socket. Let me know if you want a link to the battery that can be soldered onto the board or a battery socket.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 pm

I have some spare CR2032's thanks to my Dreamcast VMU's. I figured it was soldered on because otherwise the adhesive used would prevent a connection from being made. How do you get to the connection to desolder the battery? Bending it would be the obvious choice but you could only do that so many times before destroying the bars, right?

EDIT: Found an old post that points out it's not a good idea to solder directly to batteries (I should have known) and to buy batteries with tabs. That being the case, this will have to wait...

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Spyder12587 wrote:I have some spare CR2032's thanks to my Dreamcast VMU's. I figured it was soldered on because otherwise the adhesive used would prevent a connection from being made. How do you get to the connection to desolder the battery? Bending it would be the obvious choice but you could only do that so many times before destroying the bars, right?

EDIT: Found an old post that points out it's not a good idea to solder directly to batteries (I should have known) and to buy batteries with tabs. That being the case, this will have to wait...
You can get them for a little over $1. Here's the batteries (make sure you get one with pins or tabs) http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse ... r2032&Ntx= and holders if you want to use normal batteries without tabs and want to make it easier for the next time that you have to replace the batteries http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse ... r2032&Ntx=
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Sweet, my first successful desolder/solder on something that actually works still! I went to Radio Shack to see if they had any of the batteries with tabs. They didn't, but they did have battery sockets for CR2032's, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Well, desoldered the old battery with few problems but after I tried to solder on the new socket, the cartridge wouldn't fit back together. So I wired the socket to sit slightly above the board, closed it up, and it works! :-D

Here's a pic of the ghetto setup:
Last edited by Spyder12587 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

you think that's ghetto? you haven't seen SS's first n64 portable :lol:
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:53 pm

I've heard of ShockSlayer's infamously ghetto N64p but haven't seen photo's yet. Have a link?

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:03 pm

You think THAT battery replacement is ghetto? You should have seen the Pokemon Silver one I did for a friend!

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:06 pm

I can't find pics or that one video from last years MGC where it sold for $2
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Hopefully this little endeavor bodes well for my soon-to-be first attempt at portablizing. I've got most of the tools, the screen, and the system is on the way. Just going to need odds and ends like resistors, LEDs for my screen, things of that nature. We'll have to see how things go...

Exdeath

Post by Exdeath » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:35 am

XCVG wrote:You think THAT battery replacement is ghetto? You should have seen the Pokemon Silver one I did for a friend!
I did mine with electrical tape alone
:lol:
I get a lot of bad ideas, so don't listen to me.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Exdeath wrote:
XCVG wrote:You think THAT battery replacement is ghetto? You should have seen the Pokemon Silver one I did for a friend!
I did mine with electrical tape alone
:lol:
same here. though I used a little bit thicker of a battery than the original so it fits snugly in the case and against the contacts even without the tape.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm

I used a gigantic random battery I found because the proper ones were way too expensive (everthing is expensive where I live). So I attached it with wires that went out of the cart, then used some shrinkwrap and hotglued it on. I might have pictures.