ps1 disc drive question

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3
ps1 disc drive question

Post by samjc3 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:12 pm

hi.
does anyone have the pinout for the disc drive of the small ps1? i am looking to replace the drive with a flashcard reader to save space in my portable.
thanks, sam
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

jleemero

Re: ps1 disc drive question

Post by jleemero » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Good luck with that.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah, I think this is going to be a little (lot) over your head, especially for a first ( I'm assuming first) project.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 pm

yeah, maybe. this is my first project. i also have a ps2 and original xbox that i am willing to mod. any suggestions there?
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:57 am

I don't think it is possible, but if it were, it would be excellent indeed. The CD drive is tall, about 21mm tall; so prohibits a PSone portable being slim.

goodie

Post by goodie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:53 pm

If the PSone used a standard IDE or SCSI interface, replacing it with a flash drive would probably be a piece of cake. However, it most likely uses some propietery interface.
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:07 pm

unfortunantly, the datasheet for the disc drive doesnt seem to exist. the part number for mine is "ksm 440bam" but there are also drives with the part numbers "ksm 440" acm, adm, and aem. judging on what ive found they are interchangeable. also i did get the specsheet for the psone. it might be in there. im looking through it now
AfroLH wrote:

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:39 pm

i think i found the pinout, however, its for the old playstation scph 7500, not the psone scph 101, however, it lists the optical device as the ksm 440 aem, which is a psone part. the pinout/map thing is on page 7
[url]http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.ph ... =18807/url]
AfroLH wrote:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 pm

This is impossible on many levels, the first of which is that the PSone checks to make sure it has a legit drive (Of the main reasons you don't see replacement that are new).

Unless you have a LOT of experience reverse engineering proprietary interfaces, and a couple hundred hours of time, not to mention the proper FPGA programming knowledge/expensive hardware, just use the CD drive.

If you want a flashcard interface, use a PSP with custom firmware, a component to RGB converter, and an RGB screen.

Excellent

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Even with that, palmertech, i think he wouldn't be able to do that. If he had a whole team, maybe...
I laughed when i first started reading this because it's impossible for an everyday modder and still improbable for the elite programmers out there.
Let me just say you can't.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I could hook up a flashcard reader! It just wouldn't work, that's all. :lol:

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:53 pm

:lol: Ya, i don't think you're helping (yet again, neither am I)
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724